Autowatch Ghost immobiliser

Thanks @Loz . Thought I had seen a thread but search did not find it. All my questions answered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghost is mint !

My local VW Tec spent two hours with all his gadgets and my keys trying start it before he called me and asked if i had put anything on it.
I purposefully forgot to tell them, bit of a test !
He was angry with me after but in the end agreed was a good test !

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghost is mint !

My local VW Tec spent two hours with all his gadgets and my keys trying start it before he called me and asked if i had put anything on it.
I purposefully forgot to tell them, but of a test !
He was angry with me after but in the end agreed was a good test !

I've had that twice now,
Once with the body shop, and once with the local dealers.....
Even though I put a tag on the key with the disarm instructions+phone number. (Changed the code again after)

The VW tech was very interested in the fault codes stored when you forgot to put the code in and get the start/run/stop.

I accidently put mine in service mode messing about and it got me thinking about the actual instructions to give to the dealer?
Is it no more than 30mph as many starts as they want? or no more that 30mph for 5 mins.. just the once .. cant remember.

I accidently put mine in service mode messing about and it got me thinking about the actual instructions to give to the dealer?
Is it no more than 30mph as many starts as they want? or no more that 30mph for 5 mins.. just the once .. cant remember.
I think the service guys that test drive the van after a service will go over the 30mph trigger....?

@Loz FYI.

AutoWatch Ghost Service Mode

Note: This mode is not meant as a permanent override and will automatically exit when the vehicle exceeds a speed of 30 mph for a continuous period of 3 minutes. After this the Ghost will need a PIN code to disarm on the next start attempt.

Are there any down sides or known problems

I would say that the downside is that the chosen buttons have to work or you can’t start the van. There is an emergency option but that all sounds rather drastic and very clunky.

For this reason I loaded the Bluetooth app (yes, I know this will reduce the level of security) but deactivating Ghost by this means has given me continual problems because rather often it triggers the Ghost ‘indicator’ to flash continuously and Front Assist to be described as not available. I have found that closing the app after it has disabled the Ghost Immobiliser helps, but it’s all highly inconsistent.

The interference can be overcome by removing the app linkage , but this defeats the objective of having it!

Anyone else tried the app and what were your experiences?

I told VW Hereford about the valet mode and they refused to take it on a road test. They also refuse to do what is asked of them so I now use Listers droitwich who have been worth the 1hr drive or more than 1 occasion.

I told VW Hereford about the valet mode and they refused to take it on a road test. They also refuse to do what is asked of them so I now use Listers droitwich who have been worth the 1hr drive or more than 1 occasion.
Wonder if that is because they know their so called master mechanics can’t/ won’t keep the test drive below 30mph.

Wouldn't it be nice if it also shut off the engine if the rpm went above say 3000. Just to stop a so called tech ragging your van even when in valet mode.

Has anyone put an alarm in as well as the ghost? I've started the conversation with them online but am now wondering if an alarm might be useful?
I presume the alarm would need a camper mode for when you're snoozing in the back... Could be a rude awakening and mad scramble for the keys.

Has anyone put an alarm in as well as the ghost? I've started the conversation with them online but am now wondering if an alarm might be useful?
I presume the alarm would need a camper mode for when you're snoozing in the back... Could be a rude awakening and mad scramble for the keys.
Got both on ours. Ghost and CAN bus up-rated alarm.

Ghost - immobilizer
Up-rated alarm - to make noise and trigger the tracker
Tracker - to keep tabs on where it is.

Thanks @Dellmassive , I've got a cat 6 tracker in already so wondering how an alarm with imobilliser would interfere with the ghost imobilliser... Or do you just let ghost manage the start up and have the alarm for the sc_m bags who try to nick stuff out the back?

Thanks @Dellmassive , I've got a cat 6 tracker in already so wondering how an alarm with imobilliser would interfere with the ghost imobilliser... Or do you just let ghost manage the start up and have the alarm for the sc_m bags who try to nick stuff out the back?
you can do either.

leave the Ghost as the only immobilizer, (its CAN based so wont effect anything else)

add the additional/up-rated Alarm with immobilizer not wired up.

or have the Alarm immobilizer wired up as a second Imob` as it will most likely be a "circuit-cut" style that will cut fuel pump or ignition feed.

Have a look at the "Meta Systems" EASY-CAN alarms. . . . . they connect up to the CAN-BUS (like the Ghost) and pick up all the doors and sensors plus work with the OEM key-fob remote, you can add the Ultrasonics if you dont already have them. They give you door/window open alerts too. + battery backup siren etc.

Meta Car Alarms

And if you wanted a fully stand-alone Analog separate alarm the Cliford 650MKII has been mentioned a few times . . . . Clifford Car Alarms

more info here > Beefing Up Your Vans Security - How I Done It -

Thanks @Dellmassive I'll read that later.
So was that beemer of yours a white one? I think I saw the reports as I was working for Cantrack at the time. That's why is never have a passive key system. Too easy to nick, and never walk away from the car until you've pressed lock and taken a quick look around. The kit is far too easily available.

Im a little concerned I don't have enough buttons on my basic van. Let's see...

Back