image.jpeg Just an FYI on the winter/summer issue. I love these tyres, our lovely Suffolk roads/third world country dirt tracks have had me bumping up verges and driving off the edges of the tarmac to pass people and that's just getting to Halfords! I was prissy about my new van and its alloys but now its a 4x4. These are staying on all year.

View attachment 8694 Just an FYI on the winter/summer issue. I love these tyres, our lovely Suffolk roads/third world country dirt tracks have had me bumping up verges and driving off the edges of the tarmac to pass people and that's just getting to Halfords! I was prissy about my new van and its alloys but now its a 4x4. These are staying on all year.
mmmmmmm, nice:rolleyes:
What exactly have you got??????:geek:

Mine are Tuff Torque modular wheels 17 x 8 inch ET40 (they are an inch wider each side outwards) but are no wider on the inside, fitted with B F Goodrich 225 65 17 . My suspension is standard. They do not rub on full lock. They drive nice. The speedo is exact at 70mph. The paint on the steels is prone to fall off and rust so I had them powdercoated, my powdercoater said the paint just fell off in places. Hope this helps. Pictures at top of page 1 of this post.

l have just fitted a set of T32 17" steels That I have had painted, tyres are Nokian Weaterproof all seasons 235/60/17. There is a slight increase in rolling circumference, about 3.5% and the speedo reads just 1 mph less than the GPS speed. I'm not sure about the white wheel against the white van, but it won't be like that for long (the van, that is)

IMG_0403.JPG

To carry on the retro look, I have bought some hubcaps from the New Beetle that will be going on when I have adapted them

IMG_0406.JPG

@HotandCold IMHO the white steels with black hub caps, combined with the black of the tyres looks very classy :cool:. I'm not sure the polished hub caps look quite as nice, but it is all down to personal taste and opinion. As long as your happy that is what matters :)

@HotandCold IMHO the white steels with black hub caps, combined with the black of the tyres looks very classy :cool:. I'm not sure the polished hub caps look quite as nice, but it is all down to personal taste and opinion. As long as your happy that is what matters :)

I do agree, but I will wait till the body mods are done before I decide about the chrome caps

l have just fitted a set of T32 17" steels That I have had painted, tyres are Nokian Weaterproof all seasons 235/60/17. There is a slight increase in rolling circumference, about 3.5% and the speedo reads just 1 mph less than the GPS speed. I'm not sure about the white wheel against the white van, but it won't be like that for long (the van, that is)

View attachment 9032

To carry on the retro look, I have bought some hubcaps from the New Beetle that will be going on when I have adapted them

View attachment 9035
Good Stuff:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:; I have exactly the same tyre, did you notice any drop of in acceleration from a standing start?
What hub caps have you got fitted now (the chrome ones), do they just push on?

I have only done a couple of hundred miles with the new tyres, I can't say that I have noticed any effect on acceleration and pulling up hills is fine. The chrome hubcaps need to be adapted to fit, in the picture it is just balanced on the wheel bolts. I am going to cut the original black caps to fit inside the chrome caps and bond them together. The chrome hubcaps are from the VW New Beetle, cost £174 for 4 from TPS.

I have only done a couple of hundred miles with the new tyres, I can't say that I have noticed any effect on acceleration and pulling up hills is fine. The chrome hubcaps need to be adapted to fit, in the picture it is just balanced on the wheel bolts. I am going to cut the original black caps to fit inside the chrome caps and bond them together. The chrome hubcaps are from the VW New Beetle, cost £174 for 4 from TPS.
I didn't really notice a drop, but when I recently swapped my wheels and went back to the original tyres, my Mrs swore blind I had remapped it??
I really like the slightly oversized tyres my self:thumbsup::thumbsup:, I've got 15,000miles on the Nokians now, and there is about 1mm of ware on the fronts, and zero(ish) on the rears, unbelievable; god knows how long they will last........., probably do 50,000miles when I change them at 3mm thread remaining. Amazing.
Let us know how your bonding works out, a really interesting wheel/tyre/hubcap solution:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I completely agree, the polished caps dont suit it at all - just my opinion, dont mean to offend ;)

I think the wheels and hubcaps have achieved 95% of the "Gen-Six" wheel look, for a quarter of the price.
From previous posts it looks like a bottom half respray or vinyl wrap is about to happen, so look forward to seeing the final result.

@HotandCold you have got me really tempted to buy a set of 17" steel vw wheels and some hob caps. Does it look like a relatively straight forward job to get the chrome caps mated to the black plastic cap?
Will you need to cut the centre out of the black plastic cap, to allow the chrome cap to sit back far enough?
Do you have a TPS parts number for the beetle caps?
I love the fact you have retained the 17" wheel size, which imo is the best for a T6 wanting to maintain a high level of practicality , and offers the best/largest tyre choice.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back