I ran 235/60/16 michelin LatitudeX on my T5 for years. They are certainly a very good summer tyre, but they really aren't all seasons, so not as good in winter as proper all seasons. To be honest all seasons weren't around 8 years ago, they have only a few years old to my knowledge. On a van the Lat X's are soooo much better than standard van tyres, and being Michelin they last and last and last, 40k miles. (Makes me laugh the people who run 20" nangchungchumin.... sh!t and get 8000miles from a set...Really......
I swopped mine for a new set of 18" sportline wheels; and General Grabber All Terrain 255/55/18s. Which are far far better on grass/mud/snow than the Lat X, but at 7.5% bigger in circumference the characteristics heavier etc etc not sure I actually preferred them. I don't intend to run 18" wheels again, I'm a 17" man (I wish, I'd be very happy with 7"..)
I would go for all seasons Mud&Snow; 3pSF (3 Peak snowflake- full winter compliant), If I wanted to run the same tyre all year round. Either Michelin, Goodyear, or my favourite Nokian.
Proper off roading BFG 225/65/17 All Terrain KO2, are pretty fu*king awesome, all year.
http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/bfgoodrich/all-terrain-ta-ko2/225/65/R17/S/107/f?tyre=34513577
0_bf-goodrich_all-terrain_ko2_2.jpg

wonder what the BFG's would look like on these? Black Rhino Warlords 17" load rated for a T6
View attachment 7751
Pretty awesome I reckon. Those BFG tyres are something else, those tread blocks put the Grand Canyon to shame.
Reminds me of a time I went off-roader orienteering with a mate from work, he had tyres like that, plus a winch. Now that was a fun day.

Unfortunately those BFG's aren't speed rated for the T6 otherwise I would have them.
I had 285s on my Troopie and they were massive.

Now I wish you hadn't shown me those Rhinos. :)

Last edited:
Mine are Tuff Torque modular wheels 17 x 8 inch ET40 (they are an inch wider each side outwards) but are no wider on the inside, fitted with B F Goodrich 225 65 17 . My suspension is standard. They do not rub on full lock. They drive nice. The speedo is exact at 70mph. The paint on the steels is prone to fall off and rust so I had them powdercoated, my powdercoater said the paint just fell off in places, poor prep. The only downside is the road noise is very loud, enough for the wife to moan about but not loud enough to drown her out.

Last edited:
Mine are Tuff Torque modular wheels 17 x 8 inch ET40 (they are an inch wider each side outwards) but are no wider on the inside, fitted with B F Goodrich 215 65 17 . My suspension is standard. They do not rub on full lock. They drive nice. The speedo is exact at 70mph. The paint on the steels is prone to fall off and rust so I had them powdercoated, my powdercoater said the paint just fell off in places, poor prep. The only downside is the road noise is very loud, enough for the wife to moan about but not loud enough to drown her out.
The Black detailing against your red body work looks striking. Gloss Piano black wing mirrors would look really good also imo.
Are the tyres that noisy?, the reviews I've read on American sites say that are pretty quiet. Maybe its just all comparative.
Have you got any extra sound proofing in your Kombi?

The wheels and tyres are load rated for the T32, the speed rating is S, so max is 112mph which I am not planning to exceed.
The speed rating is the issue for me.
You can tell the insurance company what you like, but if its involved in an accident and the vehicle inspector sees them you could face loosing a lot of money.

each to his own...

The speed rating is the issue for me.
You can tell the insurance company what you like, but if its involved in an accident and the vehicle inspector sees them you could face loosing a lot of money.

each to his own...
Loz, each to his own, and stay the right side of the law; but are you sure about this?
My insurers are fine?
Lots of other insurers are fine?
Lots of off road tyres carry low(ish) speed ratings but are used on very powerful Landrovers/Rangerovers/Toyota Landcruisers etc etc.
Double cab pick ups are 200bhp+ now, and they are real off roaders, often running real off road tyres
Lots (most) of winter tyres don't have the full speed rating of the car.

Are you saying absolutely without a doubt in a country with a national max speed limit of 70mph, the law says the speed rating of the tyre needs to be in excess of the maximum theoretical speed of the vehicle?

I know that in some regards the maximum speed rating of the tyre, also takes account of the performance characteristics of the vehicle regarding acceleration; cornering etc etc

These kind of arguments just go on and on, and i wonder what the law actually says. Yes check with your Insurers absolutely, but honestly you could argue any modified vehicle breaks some rule or another whether real or imaginary.

Get the right tyres for your vehicle 100%

Back