I had to break into my own van last night, it was remarkably quick and easy with no tools, just using my bare hands.
I’d locked the doors with the door switch, started the engine and exited the sliding door……which locked behind me as I closed it!
F’kin nightmare in the middle of LHR T3 at 2100, I won’t be doing it gain. What did surprise me was that none of the many people or the few Police officers passing by said a word so there really isn’t any deterrent.
No damage to my van, I won’t elaborate but if you have OEM sliding windows they’re not strong enough.

@DXX do you think it locked because the engine was running we exit and close side door when it's been locked on the buttons when we're camping and never had a problem

If you lock the doors it waits until all doors are closed, closing the sliding door was the last door so it locked. As we are not keyless, the vehicle has no way of knowing the key is inside.
This also happens if you use the single boot unlock button on the fob open the tailgate, put your keys inside and shut the door, it instantly returns to locked..

@DXX do you think it locked because the engine was running we exit and close side door when it's been locked on the buttons when we're camping and never had a problem
Yes, as you mention I’ve never had this issue when camping (engine stopped).
I was aware of this risk just slipped my mind while dodging the Heathrow Airport ANPR automatic fining scam.
More importantly the OEM side window not only fails to keep the rain out, it’s about as secure as a soft top roof.

If you lock the doors it waits until all doors are closed, closing the sliding door was the last door so it locked. As we are not keyless, the vehicle has no way of knowing the key is inside.
This also happens if you use the single boot unlock button on the fob open the tailgate, put your keys inside and shut the door, it instantly returns to locked..
I would think it should recognise that the key is inside as the engine was running. What it isn’t able to register is that the sole occupant is outside in my case.

I would think it should recognise that the key is inside as the engine was running. What it isn’t able to register is that the sole occupant is outside in my case.
Agreed if you use the fob, but you can turn a second key in the lock and lock the doors, as I do that with the engine running when I'm charging up the battery

Just curious if anyone has fitted Datatag to their camper and if so does it save you anything on insurance (and which insurance companies give a discount)?

My colleague car has been stolen recently with Ghost.
You need to qualify that statement a bit.
Was he using the Bluetooth app, and was his phone and keys stolen?
Was it towed away?
Did they have time to remove the ghost and then drive it away?

You need to qualify that statement a bit.
Was he using the Bluetooth app, and was his phone and keys stolen?
Was it towed away?
Did they have time to remove the ghost and then drive it away?
Also the ghost is only as good as they guy installing them

His car was normal with keys. Door bell camera was blocked during this time, can't really tell how was stolen.

Getting our first ever T6 soon , what do experienced owners advise for a bit of extra security ? Also is it worth getting one of the locks to secure the spare drive home wheel underneath?

Lock on spare - Yes
I have a disclock on the steering wheel
I also have a tracker - TruTrak (pay as you tracking or sign up for full 1 year / 3 year deals)

I also have dogs who hear everything :D

Back