I have a Land Rover Defender which, with the massive rise in thefts of both whole vehicles or parts since these went out of production earlier this year, I have become a bit paranoid about keeping it and in one piece. These vehicles are notoriously easy to defeat the factory fitted security which doesn't help. To protect it I have applied a few layers of extra security which should help but, ultimately, if someone really wants it they'll get it - the problem being for me that, even if the insurance paid out in full, I'd struggle to get my hands on a decent replacement.

What is the level of thefts of/from T6s like and how solid is the factory fit Thatcham Cat 1 alarm/immobiliser? When I'm not in it, the T6 will usually be parked on my drive just below my bedroom window. Do people feel the need to add extra security or is the VW alarm/immobiliser sufficient?

I've already made arrangements for one extra layer of security to be added which will help with the key cloning issue but wonder how far I need to go and/or whether I need to transfer my level of paranoia from the Defender to my new T6 (hope not!!).

Thanks,

Dave.
Look through this thread, scratched my head and wondered ........ is the GHOST no longer in vogue amongst the T6 clan? I had mine fitted when I bought my caravelle. Not sure if it would be useable on a LR defender though.

Look through this thread, scratched my head and wondered ........ is the GHOST no longer in vogue amongst the T6 clan? I had mine fitted when I bought my caravelle. Not sure if it would be useable on a LR defender though.
I had a ghost fitted too and barring putting it on a trailer I believe it’s safe from theft maybe that’s wrong but it helps me sleep at night. Rarely leave it anywhere apart from on drive, never overnight and when I do I’m mostly worried about car park dings but I don’t think there are any other devices needed (oh I have a dashcam too) that would help the paranoia

Kiss of death saying this, will camp out in the van 24/7 now!

Hi, Been lurking a while now but this is my first post. I am well known on the other VW forums especially for the Tiguans. Anyway, will be selling my Tig for an Ascot Grey panel van conversion camper from Cambridge Campers in the next few weeks. I really do hope I am making the right discussion. Just a note as I have had plenty of Ghosts on my cars. Please make sure that the installer uses a relay in-between the ECU and Ghost. Any certified Ghost installer will know about it but none certified installers won't.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
You've come to the right place mate..........and welcome aboard! I had a T5 and have been in my T6 for 7 years. Hate, hate, hate the euro6 gubbins but love the van!! Get your door seals sorted pronto!! You won't believe the difference.........you also won't believe how much discussion and disagreement it causes. A dead easy job nonetheless!!:thumbsup:
What's this upgrade please?

It’s a rubber seal that goes around the perimeter of the cab doors.

Anyone used an AirTag ? It can be fitted or hidden anywhere in the van and if stolen police can be informed of its tracking location ? I suppose the visual deterrent would be to supplement the security with a steering lock and some signage on vehicle tracking installed

If the person stealing your bus and has an iPhone it’ll tell them they are being tracked

It’s a rubber seal that goes around the perimeter of the cab doors.
I have done this using both the travelite and THQ seals. The passenger side is fine but the drivers door refuses to shut properly and bounces back open. Now riding round with no sealnin thebdrivers side.

Anyone used an AirTag ? It can be fitted or hidden anywhere in the van and if stolen police can be informed of its tracking location ? I suppose the visual deterrent would be to suplliment the security with a steering lock and some signage on vehicle tracking installed

Thats what understood as well
Isn’t that correct
They may know they're being tracked, but if you remove the speaker from the air tag, they won't be able to locate it.

Last edited:
They may know they're being tracked, but if you remove the speaker from the air tag, they won't be able to locate it.
So it’s possible I can double check and purchase one at my Apple shop I know it’s not recognised by insurance but at least it gives me a piece of mind ?

Anyone used an AirTag ? It can be fitted or hidden anywhere in the van and if stolen police can be informed of its tracking location ? I suppose the visual deterrent would be to supplement the security with a steering lock and some signage on vehicle tracking installed
Another option is Monimoto. Primary focus appears to be motorcycles but can be easily hidden in a van. Downside for some will be the annual 4G/GPS subscription and location could be lost if the vehicle is ‘hidden’ from the phone network. It will trigger quite quickly when the car/van/bike is moved without the fob and is personally trackable to assist in finding your possession. Another bonus is it can be moved between vehicles as it’s not hardwired in.

If the person stealing your bus and has an iPhone it’ll tell them they are being tracked
I was told by a traffic officer I know that the police will only respond to a industry approved and monitored tracker as they can track it live to recover the vehicle

I think the police would take an owners view if it evident on their phone where the tag is showing location? I have a load of police friends and will ask but I suspect it’s reasonable for police to take into account the information passed on them. I don’t think it look good publicity if the papers printed the police ignoring clear information on a stolen vehicle location ?

I think the police would take an owners view if it evident on their phone where the tag is showing location? I have a load of police friends and will ask but I suspect it’s reasonable for police to take into account the information passed on them. I don’t think it look good publicity if the papers printed the police ignoring clear information on a stolen vehicle location ?
You'd hope public opinion influences how/when/if the police respond to reports of crime - after all, we do have policing by consent in the UK - but the failure to respond to reported burglaries whilst simultaneously turning up mob-handed to reports of mis-gendering and or to so-called non-crime hate incidents would suggest that influence is somewhat limited.

I'm not suggesting they wouldn't do anything. What I'm saying is I've been told that an instant response to get a car behind your vehicle and stopped requires them to have a line of communication from a registered monitoring station

An air tag will warn the person with a nearby iPhone that it is near them. They can then send a command for it to make a sound so they can locate it.

A work around is to remove the little speaker in the air tag. It would still inform the iPhone that it is nearby but they would have a problem finding it.

An air tag will warn the person with a nearby iPhone that it is near them. They can then send a command for it to make a sound so they can locate it.

A work around is to remove the little speaker in the air tag. It would still inform the iPhone that it is nearby but they would have a problem finding it.
Is there an echo in here? :whistle: [post #405 ;)]

Back