I have the V Dub version which seems really good and secure plus a Milenco cat 3 steering lock and a Scorpion S5 tracker in addition to the onboard security that comes as standard.

New to the forum and new van incoming and want to fit it with an immobiliser and tracker having read some of the horror stories on here. Want to do everything I can to protect what will be the new pride and joy on wheels.

The Ghost II seems to be the immobiliser of choice but is ‘just’ an immobiliser. Do people couple it with an Autowatch tracker - or am I better going for a tracker and immobiliser bundle like the MetaTrak S5 Deadlock? What am I compromising on if I go for the MetaTrak option?

Hoping @Dav-Tec or @Absolut5 will be able to weigh in here seeing as they appear to be the experts and held in such high esteem here, but happy to hear advice from anyone based on their experiences.

Not having it stolen in the first place will reduce the need to track it… that is why I went for the ghost.

but discussed in this topic you have posted in and also here; Beefing Up Your Vans Security - How I Done It -

Yep - makes sense and I get that. Tracker is for my own piece of mind and to provide some hope that if the worst were to happen the van might be found/retrieved (although if I'd want it back after it had been broken into and ragged is a separate question).

I guess what I'm asking is what makes a Ghost immobiliser superior to a MetaTrak immobiliser?

Ghost is good and has its purpose but isn't Thatcham approved and I see more and more customers asking me for insurance approved security which means it needs to be Thatcham approved. In that respect Ghost is excellent at what it does but I wouldn't say it's superior. They are 2 very different systems.

The S5 is an excellent product it offers Tracking and immobilisation including being able to remotely immobiliser the vehicle it can have OBD Port block and if you know how it can monitor your OEM alarm system should it go off. It lets you know when the vehicle battery is running low or if it's been disconnected by someone. A very in depth and versatile system.

We offer both systems or if your really security conscious we do a package called the Belmarsh which incorporates both systems together.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks @Dav-Tec. Really helpful. Leaning towards the MetaTrak S5 at the moment if it does both immobilisation and tracking - but costs (installation and subscription) will also be a factor.

All the systems are on our website Shop our prices include fitting and the first years subs. A years subscription is £169 for all following years

Thanks @Dav-Tec. Really helpful. Leaning towards the MetaTrak S5 at the moment if it does both immobilisation and tracking - but costs (installation and subscription) will also be a factor.
I have the Meta S5 and very happy with it. Tracking is very accurate, app is good and it’s easy to use.

thanks, how have you found them in terms of reliability and service? Does the app live up to your expectations?

Which hardware did you go for?

thx
Yes it's been quite useful to monitor the van, as it's not on my driveway. Especially the battery voltage. Setting geofences for if the van moves, gives piece of mind that it's not being moved, since I can't see it every day.

Can't remember the actual device fitted but it's an S5 for insurance purposes. Had a few issues with it, just after installation that it wasn't reporting back, but all resolved and no issues since, although that's not necessary a Global Telemetrics issue. I am sure there are better apps, etc out there, but it does me good.

Yes it's been quite useful to monitor the van, as it's not on my driveway. Especially the battery voltage. Setting geofences for if the van moves, gives piece of mind that it's not being moved, since I can't see it every day.

Can't remember the actual device fitted but it's an S5 for insurance purposes. Had a few issues with it, just after installation that it wasn't reporting back, but all resolved and no issues since, although that's not necessary a Global Telemetrics issue. I am sure there are better apps, etc out there, but it does me good.
Edit: It's a Smartrack S5 Tracker with Remote Immobilisation

@Dav-Tec supplied and fitted the Ghost II and MetaTrak S5 on my T6 recently. I'm not gonna tell you it's cheap, but it is a brilliant package. Can highly recommend it...and Chris too.
Dav-Tec is to far away from me I am afraid... he would have been my first choice otherwise.

Still stuck between the two brands...

I've got the Metatrak S5 and highly recommend it.

I was on the ferry to the Isle of Wight over half term and Metatrak's call centre were on the phone to me before we'd barely left the harbour to say the van was moving without ignition on.

Needless to say, I was very impressed with the speed of call and the fact they were calling my wife's mobile as mine was on silent and I wasn't answering it.

does anyone have a technical sheet for wiring an alarm on a T6 2016 please that they could send me
Which alarm are you trying to wiring? VW OEM one or aftermarket

Back