AdBlue Discussion and Issues

Filled up with 10ltr bottle the other day, went from 900miles to 4500 in my 150 Kombi.

I could have pump filled but didn’t know where they were. For info, Shell Beconsfield...it’s on the HGV pumps

Apparently the nearest pump to me is well over 100 miles away.

Just did my first fill today at 3200 miles with 1400 showing.

Easy as pi but £16 lighter

I paid £10 for 10 litres and it gave me a workout holding the container.

Given the nearest pumps 40 miles away it would have cost close to £50 in fuel so saved a fortune.

I did 7500 miles before first fill up and since then I have done 1000 miles and its down to 3000 remaining. It literally makes it up.

So I tried spilling a load of it inside the van. Smells really nice and looks so pretty...:mad:

I think Adblue is an area where Britain is a bit behind, possibly because the Euro 6 vans and cars came out a bit later in RHD. This meant the network was suited to Euro 6 trucks which carry bigger tanks.

In Germany and Czech is seems more available with my local garage selling it at the equivalent of 22p/l at what is essentially a pump in a booth which insulates it from extreme hot and cold. It also seems every Shell here has it.

Our garage also sells little Adblue 'magnets' which are required to fool the pumps if you intend on filling a container as I understand the Adblue socket on the van contains this magnet (so said the garage).

As I have good availability I always let it run low and then fill to 'click', my logic tells me this is a good way to flush the system. I've used this method for 23,000km and would guess I've had 5 or so fills. I think it would be better to put the amount range in it says but I'm lazy and just fill to click.

I notice the usage amount does seem to differ between users and certainly for me too particularly with driving style. I used 3,500km's worth on a 750km mad dash to Holland once. I also understand that concentration % of urea differ in certain areas and wonder if this is why usage rate differs as the systems measures not just the quantity but also the density of the liquid in the tank. This also stops you filling it with water.

I thought it worth sharing my experience but I think it's important to develop your own coping strategy. :D

Thanks for that.....mine is now registering 1400 miles, with 6800 on the clock. My local Tesco filling station didn't have any today, although the nice cashier thought Redex might do the job!

Mine went from 5000 to 4500 to 650 miles in one 110 mile journey! Bag of rubbish... I’m putting it in the garage to see what the crack is...

sounds like you have a leaky adblue tank because crikey thats a lot of fluid for such a short trip.
that said, if something caused the emissions on your van to go off the charts that the system had to dump loads of adblue into the exhaust to counter act those gases then that would explain the heavy use!

I just ordered from CarParts for Less at £ 10.44 for 10ltrs too. Halfords are selling for £ 14 or 15 I think.

Most annoying thing for me is that the warning bong started when I still had 1500miles left! Its now at 550 miles and the warnings are getting more annoying! I'm going to put some in early just to stop the bloody warnings!

I just ordered from CarParts for Less at £ 10.44 for 10ltrs too. Halfords are selling for £ 14 or 15 I think.

Most annoying thing for me is that the warning bong started when I still had 1500miles left! Its now at 550 miles and the warnings are getting more annoying! I'm going to put some in early just to stop the bloomin warnings!
I wouldn't say 500 is too early, cos if it drops suddenly to zero it wont start!

I wouldn't say 500 is too early, cos if it drops suddenly to zero it wont start!

Why would it suddenly drop to zero? I wouldn't mind if the alarm started at 500 miles though - 1500 was ridiculous!

hi all, first post on here, sorry it’s a long one.

So I have a swb panel T6 204 dsg, It is 1year 2 months old.

I have filled the Ad blue up from the large containers brought from petrol stations numerous times to date. However this week when trying to fill up again, the filling pipe/van takes a small amount in then seems to stop, backs up and then it just over spilles into the filing cap area. I have tried 6 times so far with this bottle and manged to get 1000 Miles worth in, it’s a very slow process. The tank is not full 5500 Miles worth, i have tried with the van on the flat, angled to either side and front up or down and still it won’t take any more than 1/5 of a ltr on board. I thought it might be a air lock and left it for 4 days and tried again, but it was still the same.

Has any one else had this issue? before I go and bang my head against a wall at the delers?

Thanks Tom

The tank only fills up to 6000 miles so it could be full.
Its best to wait till the tank is low before trying to fill up. Say about 2000 miles. I normally wait till 500 miles as you don't want to spill ad blue on your paintwork as it will damage it.

I don’t completely understand, what range is the display showing?
After filling, Are you leaving it 30seconds with the ignition on before starting?
I wonder if it is not registering the fill and the tank is full?

The tank only fills up to 6000 miles so it could be full.
Its best to wait till the tank is low before trying to fill up. Say about 2000 miles. I normally wait till 500 miles as you don't want to spill ad blue on your paintwork as it will damage it.
Ok i through I read some where that it takes 12ltr and I was sure I have put more than 6ltr in. But I would not be surprised if it is me I am having one of those months!!!!!

The display shows a minimum and maximum fill. You can’t just top it up you must wait until the minimum fill is displayed.

Back