If 275/35/20's are available in 103 rating I'd love to know where from.
Who mentioned 103? 102 rated tyres are plenty for a t28/30 which There’s plenty of. Google 275/35/20 load rated tyres.

Reactions: DCC
C7AAD8A5-BC07-4B7B-B6C3-3AB840009142.png

Who mentioned 103?

Nobody, but saying you can get those tyres "load rated" implies that they are available for all vans when they're not, a bit like saying "Yeah, those shoes come in sizes"
When I read your post I assumed that you knew where to get 275/35/20's in 103 rating for my T32. :)

Nobody, but saying you can get those tyres "load rated" implies that they are available for all vans when they're not, a bit like saying "Yeah, those shoes come in sizes"
When I read your post I assumed that you knew where to get 275/35/20's in 103 rating for my t32
:rolleyes:

Reactions: DCC
Disappointingly, staggered wheels wouldn’t work on the Caravelle without trimming the door cards, so I’m running 8.5 all round. I looked at loads of different tyre sizes and ended up with 245/45/20. I had originally planned on 245/40 but I couldn’t get the load rating I wanted. Overall im happy with how they look and how they ride.

Avoid 275‘s on the front, they’re way too big for the 8.5.

View attachment 157730
With the correct offset you can run a 10” on the back of a Caravelle/California without fowling the door card.
If 275/35/20's are available in 103 rating I'd love to know where from.
Unfortunately no longer made- used to be providers by Pirelli with a B1 marking for Bentleys

IMG_20220619_182008.jpg
Had a bit of a failure on my rear tyre today, massive bulge on the inner side so looking at other options
At the moment I have a staggered set up 8.5/10, pretty sure it's an offset of 40 on the rear with a 275/35/20 on the rear and a 245/40/20 on the front, ride is ok a little harsh but no rubbing on wheel arches
Sliding side door catches the rear tyre a little but not sure if that's due to door card too thick (carpeted 5.5 mm ply) but potentially a 255/40/20 may help with this slightly
So it's go with existing 275/35/20 or swap to 255/40/20 and possibly ease the tide slightly and help the catching sliding door issue but maybe a stretch for a 10 inch wheel.

Appreciate opinions pretty quickly as obviously it's not driveable at the moment

Van is dropped on H&R springs by 40mm and is a T28

Hi @mbee123 .
I feel your pain, know I’m probably opening a can of worms here, and I don’t pretend to understand the science.
I checked out this website, amongst others, and found this page useful, but a little confusing, when comparing to other parts of their site;

Wheel/Rim Size Calculator - Shows acceptable rim width range for the tyre size

Basically, it appears that a 255/40 r20 tyre could stretch to a 10” rim.

I followed VWs lead and run 275/40 r19s on my 19x9” wheels. I find the extra width has helped stop kerb rash on some gentle parking misjudgments.

Hopefully you can find a competent installer you trust who could set your mind at ease and sort you promptly.
Cheers,
Andy

View attachment 161383
Had a bit of a failure on my rear tyre today, massive bulge on the inner side so looking at other options
At the moment I have a staggered set up 8.5/10, pretty sure it's an offset of 40 on the rear with a 275/35/20 on the rear and a 245/40/20 on the front, ride is ok a little harsh but no rubbing on wheel arches
Sliding side door catches the rear tyre a little but not sure if that's due to door card too thick (carpeted 5.5 mm ply) but potentially a 255/40/20 may help with this slightly
So it's go with existing 275/35/20 or swap to 255/40/20 and possibly ease the tide slightly and help the catching sliding door issue but maybe a stretch for a 10 inch wheel.

Appreciate opinions pretty quickly as obviously it's not driveable at the moment

It’s probably more your suspension than your tyres making it harsh, oem shocks are terrible , I’ve had all size wheels I’m now on 275/35/30 rear 255/35/20 front all the way down on solow suspension and it’s the most comfy the van has been, everyone who goes in the van comments on the ride. If stick with your 275 tyres personally , hope this helps slightly, or confused you even more .

View attachment 161383

A 255 there is quite a stretch on a 10” rim. Your current sizing is good and with a 40mm offset on the rear you should be fine. The thicker door card could explain the slight rub, but that rub certainly won’t have caused the failure. That’s a tyre that for whatever reason has simply decided it’s had enough!

If you don’t mind the slight rub on the sliding door then stick with the sizes you’ve got, a 255 on a 10” rim will fit, but it’s quite a stretch and will leave the rim exposed to even the slightest of kerb brushes.

The ride being harsh is down to the standard shocks and lowering springs. The standard shocks do not do well with lowering springs and often lead to a harsh ride.

Hi,

Due to look at changing my tyres on my T6 T28 Campervan.
Currently running 275/40/20 all round at 40psi. Even wear on each tyre.
My wheels are Calibre Altus 20 x 9 et 45.
Lowered on H and R springs 40mm approx and Koni shocks courtesy of CRS in Cannock.
I do get a little rubbing on full lock on front, rears are fine.

Thinking of the following options:
255/40/20 on front hopefully won't rub and stick with 275/40/20 on rear
Or
255/40/20 all round.

Anyone any thoughts and or experience to help me decide.
Looking to alleviate the rubbing on full lock,on the front.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
What version of T6 do you have - T28, T30 or T32?

For upto T30 a 265/40 is recommended.

Update....
I opted for accelera tyres 275/35/20
Look spot on on both the 8.5" and 10" rims
Ride feels good on stock suspension
No noisier than before but maybe a little more lower frequencies, could be due to the size of the wheels
All season rated, decent fuel rating and dB rating.
And didn't hurt my pocket (got to buy another 4 tyres for the daily hack in a couple of weeks time)

Tested the speedo out against a Tomtom which in all the years I've had it no matter what vehicle I've used it including the van has read 3mph lower than speedo. Today in cc set at 60mph the Tomtom read 60 so all good!

Overall verdict two thumbs up!
Hi, Looking at accelera tyres for mine. How many miles did you get from them?

My fronts are 8.5 so slightly narrower, but I have 275/40/20 rear and 245/45/20 fronts. No rubbing and the van drives and steers much better than when I had the 275 on the front.
The front and rear both have the same circumference as the profiles are the same size.

My fronts are 8.5 so slightly narrower, but I have 275/40/20 rear and 245/45/20 fronts. No rubbing and the van drives and steers much better than when I had the 275 on the front.
The front and rear both have the same circumference as the profiles are the same size.
Thank you for the reply. That's interesting regarding the front tyres. I'll have a look into them.

Back