After about 12 weeks of research, I came to the following conclusion. It's just my opinion and thoughts so I hope it does not offend anyone:

- The Planar/Autoterms offering is a good quality product at a reasonable price. I just can't give my money to a Russian company fronting as a Latvian. 3 year warranty as standard.
- The Chinese cheap items have a pretty bad reputation. It seems there is a lot of highly inflated/manipulated reviews out there which just don't add up and seem very suspect to me. You get what you pay for and a diesel heater for £200 speaks volumes. No warranties.
- The Webasto and Eberspacher products are very expensive. No denying that but to be honest, this is my first foray into owning a campervan and it seems just about everything is expensive. On the plus side, both these manufacturers offer 3 year warranties. Reviews are very positive with any issues dealt with fairly under warranty.

There are a few other options such as the diesel heater and hob combo which seems a good alternative but a bit complicated for my needs. Given that I am in for around £40K investment of my T6, and that I take my family on holiday in it, I am not keen on the Chinese crap and frankly I am actively avoiding as much of it as I can. (Even though nearly everything is made there these days and my house is full of it!) That leaves me with the Webasto and Eberspacher - time to suck it up and convince myself that it's a sound investment of quality items and a good back-up warranty....

- Pricing: There are plenty of installers around and the pricing for a Webasto or Eberspacher seems to vary between £1200 fitted including VAT to £1500 fitted including VAT. Bodans is about the best at £1200 for the Webasto (not sure if that's including the HD timer/programmer or standard dial) but It's too far out of my way for 2 days to fit. Other places are similar pricing but all too far away for me so I have chosen a local installer with a good reputation who is just 15miles down the road from me. Not the cheapest just shy of £1500 including VAT but more convenient for me.
We had a Webasto fitted last year and it’s been brilliant. It gets lovely and warm really quickly and doesn’t use much fuel. You won’t regret it.

Thanks. Out of interest any reason you picked Webasto over Eberspacher? Was it simply the one that your local place fitted?
Some people claim the Webasto is slightly quieter, uses less fuel and electrical energy but that's probably because its a 2kw heater and the Eber is 2.2kw. My local place does both heaters and they offered the Webasto as i got their number from the Webasto installers list. Personally, I would have gone for either.

Hi, it seems this guy is running an Eberspacher of a Chinese controller, so maybe it would work?

If that's true then problem sorted. Do you know anyone with an Eber? Perhaps you could buy a controller and try it out to see if it works?

If that's true then problem sorted. Do you know anyone with an Eber? Perhaps you could buy a controller and try it out to see if it works?
Scratch that. He got around it by replacing the control board in the actual heater with a Chinese copy.

Is there a reason you want to use wifi rather than SIM?
Yes, I want to set up a wifi in my van, and I don't want to pay for 2 SIM cards. Paying for a SIM card to switch on a heater a few times seems a bit much. Plys have you seen the cost of the Eber/Webasto units that use the sim for remote? Ideally I would just like a remote fob that works from a few hundred metres away, but it seems both Eberspacher and Webasto have dropped this.

Yes, I want to set up a wifi in my van, and I don't want to pay for 2 SIM cards. Paying for a SIM card to switch on a heater a few times seems a bit much. Plys have you seen the cost of the Eber/Webasto units that use the sim for remote? Ideally I would just like a remote fob that works from a few hundred metres away, but it seems both Eberspacher and Webasto have dropped this.
We have a Thermocall TC4 on our van, fitted when it was converted 5+ years ago. I put an Asda PAYG SIM in it & £10 credit. It’s still got £4.50 credit on it. For us, the ability to be able to activate it from a long distance is a benefit. We do a lot of hill walking/skiing/boating & to be able to switch the heater on half an hour before we get back to the van is a big plus.

We have a Thermocall TC4 on our van, fitted when it was converted 5+ years ago. I put an Asda PAYG SIM in it & £10 credit. It’s still got £4.50 credit on it. For us, the ability to be able to activate it from a long distance is a benefit. We do a lot of hill walking/skiing/boating & to be able to switch the heater on half an hour before we get back to the van is a big plus.
I don't think these long lasting sims area available anymore, that all seem to need topping up every month even if not used.

I don't think these long lasting sims area available anymore, that all seem to need topping up every month even if not used.
I have to use it at least once every 6 months to keep it live. I just send a “status request” text to keep it active. It also works abroad too, so great when we’re skiing.

I have to use it at least once every 6 months to keep it live. I just send a “status request” text to keep it active. It also works abroad too, so great when we’re skiing.
That would be fine, but they are not avaiable now. Just monthly bundles, which last 1 month, obviously.

That would be fine, but they are not avaiable now. Just monthly bundles, which last 1 month, obviously.
Asda still do one, non expiring credit as long as you make one chargeable call/text every 180 days. It’s the one I’m on. It uses Vodafone.

Asda still do one, non expiring credit as long as you make one chargeable call/text every 180 days. It’s the one I’m on. It uses Vodafone.
Thanks. I can’t find it, my Google mojo is missing.

Back