Which bike rack should I get for 4 cycles?

You are broadly right in your thoughts. The only thing I would add is that the Altera Strada DL-3 folds up pretty small once off the van.
I have found all bike racks need a bit of juggling to get multiple bikes on. With 4 big bikes you might end up with a tailgate rack and a towbar rack.

Pete

Thanks for this info! It's really invaluable. I think a tailgate is that way to go then. They are 2 hard tail adult bikes and 2 24" kids mountain bikes. It sounds like they would all fit on a 4 rear mounted rack okay. But that's very interesting about the tow bar options too. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for this info! It's really invaluable. I think a tailgate is that way to go then. They are 2 hard tail adult bikes and 2 24" kids mountain bikes. It sounds like they would all fit on a 4 rear mounted rack okay. But that's very interesting about the tow bar options too. Thanks again everyone.

We put 4 road bikes on our tailgate bike rack, there is plenty of space for them (no contact etc) but I do have to load them in a specific way. I would doubt you could get 4 bikes on there if two had suspension unless you didn’t mind some of the frames touching or rubbing each other. You might want to try it out before you buy.

Is the choice a climbing frame bolted to the back or discreet detachable towbar and a fold up bike carrier?

Hi, I'm just looking at this but find mixed reports about being able to open the tailgate when it tips... do you find it's okay? Have you modified it in any way?

Cheers
It opens fine and there is clearance. You have to adjust the rack to the second setting and watch how you mount the bikes but other than that it’s good. I am very happy with it.
check out this thread - I have uploaded photos.

update: ahh. See you already have . ;)

Hi all,

I need a bike rack for 4 bikes. Ideally I would like the VW one in black but they are 800 quid plus postage and struts. Alternatively I can get a silver one with struts for 500 and get it powder coated in black for 120 plus vat. Has anyone any experience of doing this? If so are the black parts on the end metal or do they need to be removed?

Alternatively again I can get a Fiamma one for 620 in black. Does anyone have any experience of these and are they as good as the VW one? I've read on here that they do not take four bikes very well. Many thx in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
The later posts in this thread will give you a load of useful info with people doing the same as you are thinking.

I have Fiamma pro in black, very sturdy, comes as a 2 bike but extendable to 4.

I have Fiamma pro in black, very sturdy, comes as a 2 bike but extendable to 4.

Thx for the info. Do you ever use it for four? In the threads its seems like its a bit tight for four bikes

Hi all,

I need a bike rack for 4 bikes. Ideally I would like the VW one in black but they are 800 quid plus postage and struts. Alternatively I can get a silver one with struts for 500 and get it powder coated in black for 120 plus vat. Has anyone any experience of doing this? If so are the black parts on the end metal or do they need to be removed?

Alternatively again I can get a Fiamma one for 620 in black. Does anyone have any experience of these and are they as good as the VW one? I've read on here that they do not take four bikes very well. Many thx in advance for any advice.
If you buy something like this, in a colour that is not liked, it could be wrapped with insulation tape. There are several colours available and a few widths. A fraction of the cost, can be redone even with a colour change if you do not like the original. Perhaps not 100% as professional but after a few weeks what would be.

I'm in need on one too. Thought about the towbar one, but I'm set on a tailgate mounted one now.

After a little research, it seems to me that there is not much between the Fiamma, Thule, and VW.
Fiamma you will have to assemble. Others come assembled, but less likely to be delivered - huge box.
All have locks and can be adapted for 4 bikes.
Fiamma and Thule are a bit cheaper.

BUT..... And here is the big issue for me with the Fiamma and Thule, unless someone can suggest I am wrong.
The Fiamma and Thule can be removed from your van in seconds with the correct torx bit, bikes and all.
The VW one you have to open the tailgate to get access to the torx screws.

If someone really wants it, then it is only ally and can be cut both sides in seconds, but I still think this is a huge over sight by Fiamma and Thule.

I’ve got the VW tailgate rack, with the right will and tool you could get it off without opening the tailgate. The thing is, the resale market is tiny because they literally only fit a T6 but the same cannot be said about the resale market for towbar mounted racks. I therefore never worry about mine getting pinched.

Back