Which bike rack should I get for 4 cycles?

Altera strada tilts enough for tailgate to open .But if you have bikes on the tailgate hits the handlebars ,but you can still get good access.

I have a BUZZ RACK Buzzwing 4 bike tilting and folding rack BRP704 which I was using on my Discovery, but not going to use on the van. It is only 4 months old (I was desperate) so that is available for sale if anyone interested.

Heavy, and I had the altera strada mentioned earlier before, but it finally broke (the handle snapped off!) but I had had it for years.

Think the altera was easier to use, but the buzz one is stronger and more sturdy. The altera slides away from the vehicle, whereas the buzz tilts.

Buzz is much heavier and more bulky to store, but better for the bikes we now have, full on mountain bikes, but I would struggle to get four on - the first 'bay' was too close to the boot of the disco (just) for the wide bars that are on our mountain bikes.

The altera was perfect though when the kids were smaller, and the bikes less 'hard core' !

I've never used the rack on the van as I've no towbar (used it on a Honda estate)
Video of one on a T6

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bike rack to carry 4 bikes. I have a T6 with Barn doors and was hoping to not have to go the tow-bar route. has anyone found a rack for 4 bikes and any reviews would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Mine also only carries two. I had read somewhere that it's possibly due to 4 bikes been too much for the door hinge.

Hi,
After some advice on which tow bar types can be used to mount a 3-4 bike carrier e.g Altera Strada DL. Looking at either a flange or fixed swan neck but there seems to be contradicting info about regarding swan necks. Planning on carrying 3 standard mountain bikes.
Anyone have any practical advice about whether to go one route or the other?

Regards,
Fraze

I have an Atera Strada DL3 to carry 4 bikes, which mounts perfectly on a factory removable towbar (no flange). It interfaces with the neck of the towbar just below the ball.

Hi,
After some advice on which tow bar types can be used to mount a 3-4 bike carrier e.g Altera Strada DL. Looking at either a flange or fixed swan neck but there seems to be contradicting info about regarding swan necks. Planning on carrying 3 standard mountain bikes.
Anyone have any practical advice about whether to go one route or the other?

Regards,
Fraze

The towbar will be irrelevant to the bike carrier, both will be your preference either will be compatible. Do you want it on show all the time then fixed but if not detachable however it will be swan neck I'm fairly sure is the only option, there are plenty of threads on here.

Oh and down to budget,

Thanks for the info all, the place I'm looking to get the tow bar fitted suggests first checking the bike carrier is compatible with swan neck tow bars as he believes some bike racks aren't compatible due to the way it clamps to the ball and neck of the tow bar. I'd assumed they all just clamped onto the ball part of the tow bar.

image.jpg

This is the factory tow ball that I mount the Atera rack onto with no issues.

I have Thule929 rack and attaches fine with same towbar as above

Back