Halfords Towbar Mounted Bike Racks

Frogbelly Mullock

VIP Member
Hi folks,

It may be my poor searching ability on here, but can't see an answer to this question; has anyone fitted a tilting 'Advanced' Halfords towbar mounted bike rack on a T6 with barn doors, could you open the doors with it fitted, and was it any good please?

Hi, I bought the 2 bike version before Christmas and I'm very pleased with it. Well made but quite heavy. I actually fell off the back of my Landy onto it and it never moved...nearly broke my leg mind!
Yet to try on the T6, but I have a tailgate so can't answer that question.

Hi, I bought the 2 bike version before Christmas and I'm very pleased with it. Well made but quite heavy. I actually fell off the back of my Landy onto it and it never moved...nearly broke my leg mind!
Yet to try on the T6, but I have a tailgate so can't answer that question.
Ouch; that's one way to test the build quality! Cheers for the reply

I haven’t seen that rack mentioned on here before. The Atera DL3 is the one mentioned most frequently as it definitely works with barn doors.

Pete

I can confirm that my tailgate doesn't clear the screw up knob above the towbar! It's literally 3-4mm too tall. Guess I should have asked like you first! Hey ho, sell and get a different one or take a grinder and gently manipulate the handle....decisions, decisions....

Oh no! Sorry to hear that; I hope you find a solution (especially as it works on the Landy).
Thanks for letting me know and fellow owners with tailgate.

I can confirm that my tailgate doesn't clear the screw up knob above the towbar! It's literally 3-4mm too tall. Guess I should have asked like you first! Hey ho, sell and get a different one or take a grinder and gently manipulate the handle....decisions, decisions....
How did you overcome this? I am in exactly the same situation. Hoping I can get a shorter shaft as its detachable or failing that may see if I can shave off 5mm with a grinder.

How did you overcome this? I am in exactly the same situation. Hoping I can get a shorter shaft as its detachable or failing that may see if I can shave off 5mm with a grinder.
I got the tailgate to clear the tow bar part by taking the plastic knob off, but it still hit the rack when tilted....so I gave up and sold it!

I got the tailgate to clear the tow bar part by taking the plastic knob off, but it still hit the rack when tilted....so I gave up and sold it!
Luckily I was able to return it back to halfords for a full refund. Went and got a second hand vw genuine bike rack in the end

Back