Thule VeloSpace XT 3 Or Atera STRADA DL 3 - bike rack

We have moved from the VW T6 tailgate mounted carrier to a tow ball mounted Atera Strada DL3. The main reason for the move was that you cannot open the tailgate when the bikes are mounted (and it is less height to lift an e-bike!) This was a pain on our travels when stopping in Aires and wild camping for a night.

We used the Atera Strada DL3 with 2 e-bikes attached on our trip to Spain and Portugal pre-Covid 19 this year. When we first got it I was concerned about the about of movement in the carrier itself. The curved slide mechanism adds to some movement. However, after using continuously on our 4,500 mile trip, it was never removed and did not budge. It was completely fault free and served us very well.

The DL3 is the bike carrier that gives you most clearance with a tailgate van. Especially if you are lowered as you have less height and, therefore, clearance to the ground to hinge back on.

Thule make great carriers (the T6 tailgate carrier is made by them) and I am sure it is more substantial (and of course with that comes weight). If I could open the tailgate with a Thule carrier, I would probably go with a Thule. But I cannot complain that the DL3 does not do the job and there are many happy users. :thumbsup:
Do you by chance know what weight your eBikes are? Sorry for the impertinent question. The bike we are picking up tomorrow is 26kg and it’s looking like a pain to find a tow bar rack that clears and has specs for that weight.
Real world experience might be better than lawyer specs.

Do you by chance know what weight your eBikes are?

Does the 26kg include the battery? Can it be removed?

Our e-bikes are 21kg each WITHOUT the battery (removed to save weight and for security). We carry 2 e-bikes the same. The DL3 is rated with a max load weight of 45kg and 23.5kg max per bike. Interestingly with the 4th bike adapter the max load weight goes up to 63kg even though you are just adding another bike tray - same frame, same mechanism.

Does the 26kg include the battery? Can it be removed?

Our e-bikes are 21kg each WITHOUT the battery (removed to save weight and for security). We carry 2 e-bikes the same. The DL3 is rated with a max load weight of 45kg and 23.5kg max per bike. Interestingly with the 4th bike adapter the max load weight goes up to 63kg even though you are just adding another bike tray - same frame, same mechanism.
That’s a great tip thanks. Yes the battery is included in that weight. I have been keen on the DL3 for a while because of the tailgate clearance. Looks like it will work just fine.
:thumbsup:

hmmm, thinking about these now as i can pick up form Halfords and check out - and easily return if needed. Can anyone comment, from experience, on the folding one?

1590494996835.png

Can anyone advise if the 'upright' section on either of these either folds or is detachable. I ask as I really need a bike rack that can go through an average size loft hatch. I don't mind undoing a few bolts if necessary.

Can anyone advise if the 'upright' section on either of these either folds or is detachable. I ask as I really need a bike rack that can go through an average size loft hatch. I don't mind undoing a few bolts if necessary.
The VW OEM one or an exact match by Westfalia should do.
Have a look at this video:

Hi, do you know if the Atera rack would allow barn doors to open when tilted?
I have barn doors and the Atera STRADA DL 3 rack with a 4th bike adapter and I can say that the rack will tilt back with four bikes attached and allow plenty of room to open both barn doors, my van hasn't been lowered and is standard height, an excellent rack for people wanting access to their barn doors.

I settled on the Thule XT3 which i purchased from Halfords for £485.

It arrived almost fully assembled with only the upright bar needing to be added.

1591181252511.png 1591181290470.png 1591181334292.png

Installed the XT3 and the tailgate would not open... not a problem though...

1591181445545.png

You are able to adjust the XT3s opening position, see above pic, just move the bolt to the next opening position (on both sides :) )

1591181548327.png 1591181579101.png

Looking at it and how it opens you may have to adjust the handle bars on your bike, but as i haven't used it yet i cannot say for sure.

Overall, I am initially impressed with the build quality and ease of installation.

Hope this helps you if you are looking at the XT3.

CZ.

CZ. That looks very good. Did your van come with the towbar or did you get one retrofitted? What make / model is it please?

Looks good! For reference on my Atera I have to turn the handlebar on the first bike for the tailgate to pass. :thumbsup:
If it helps anyone else, we also use the DL3, having been told that was what was needed to clear the tailgate, even with just two bikes. If there's anything like a mountain bike on the inner mount, the bars have to be rotated. We've also found that, irrespective of the video on the suppliers website showing it clears easily, you have to apply a little pressure to push the rack back a tiny bit when opening the door. This may be because we have a factory fit, removable hitch, which might sit a little closer in than a fixed one, or an aftermarket one. Friends have the same issue with their Ford Transit.

Our converters, Exploria, apparently do a "minor mod" when they supply the AS rack. I asked them what this is, but they didn't come back to me. If anyone does know what this "minor mod" is, I'd appreciate knowing.

Ours clears with about 5-10mm to spare so it is tight. On a Westfalia detachable bar as per factory. Wouldn’t take much variation in any one part to make it foul. If the crossbar mounts are hanging down without a bike on the plastic wing nuts would foul that’s the only bit we have to be wary of.

Still a great rack for us though.

You are able to adjust the XT3s opening position, see above pic, just move the bolt to the next opening position (on both sides :) )

I hadn't noticed that; good spot, thank you! 800mm handlebars are going to be the next problem though!

We have moved from the VW T6 tailgate mounted carrier to a tow ball mounted Atera Strada DL3. The main reason for the move was that you cannot open the tailgate when the bikes are mounted (and it is less height to lift an e-bike!) This was a pain on our travels when stopping in Aires and wild camping for a night.

We used the Atera Strada DL3 with 2 e-bikes attached on our trip to Spain and Portugal pre-Covid 19 this year. When we first got it I was concerned about the about of movement in the carrier itself. The curved slide mechanism adds to some movement. However, after using continuously on our 4,500 mile trip, it was never removed and did not budge. It was completely fault free and served us very well.

The DL3 is the bike carrier that gives you most clearance with a tailgate van. Especially if you are lowered as you have less height and, therefore, clearance to the ground to hinge back on.

Thule make great carriers (the T6 tailgate carrier is made by them) and I am sure it is more substantial (and of course with that comes weight). If I could open the tailgate with a Thule carrier, I would probably go with a Thule. But I cannot complain that the DL3 does not do the job and there are many happy users. :thumbsup:
Thanks. How did you find tipping the rack with electric bikes on it? How much wiggle (movement) is there? Millimetres or centimetres? We had a Hollywood tow bar rack On a Renault Espace which had lots of movement. Very off putting.

Thanks. How did you find tipping the rack with electric bikes on it? How much wiggle (movement) is there? Millimetres or centimetres? We had a Hollywood tow bar rack On a Renault Espace which had lots of movement. Very off putting.

It's not a problem sliding the carrier back and returning it to the locked position. You do need to stand behind it to control the slide down and it does need a bit of a shove back up but not that difficult.

With regard to the movement, it does move around and it does look concerning to start with. I would of preferred it to be a bit more solid. However, we had no problems on our long road trip.

If you look at the video @Campervan Journey posted above Atera Strada Bike Rack Review you can see the amount is moves about.

Back