Thule Bike rack for barn doors

StephenK

I really want to get a Thule bike rack but I can’t get definitive answers on these questions.
1. Will I still be able to open the barn doors with a Thule EasyFold XT 2 towbar bike rack when it is tilted.
2. Does the Thule G2 sport compact fit?
New on here so apologies if this is the wrong place to post or if the answers have already been posted somewhere.

I believe @Dellmassive has one of these racks, so may be able to comment.
that was in my TowBar job.

im fairly sure the can open fully when tilted. . . but would need to triple check to be 100%

1689536053655.png

Reactions: Bav
Thank you Bav do you know anyone who has this set up who could check re opening the barn doors when rack is tilted.

You've got one of the most helpful guys on the forum in @Dellmassive - if you ask nicely, I'm sure he'd check for you.
Id love to assist further.

But at the moment my van is in the garage for work, so not available for a week..

But I'm fairly certain you can open the doors then folded back.

Reactions: Bav
Id love to assist further.

But at the moment my van is in the garage for work, so not available for a week..

But I'm fairly certain you can open the doors then folded back.
Hi again I just wondered if you had by any chance managed to check whether you can open the barn doors when the Thule rack is tilted. Also would you mind advising which tow hitch you would recommend? I want one that isn’t visible when not in use if that is possible. Thank you in advance and sorry for being so naive but getting straight answers to these questions is proving extremely difficult and getting it wrong extremely costly!

Hi again I just wondered if you had by any chance managed to check whether you can open the barn doors when the Thule rack is tilted. Also would you mind advising which tow hitch you would recommend? I want one that isn’t visible when not in use if that is possible. Thank you in advance and sorry for being so naive but getting straight answers to these questions is proving extremely difficult and getting it wrong extremely costly!
Hi Stephen,
Have installed a Westfalia removable tow bar and purchased the Atera Strava Sport M2 (2bikes). I’m gutted as barn doors don’t open unless you unlock the tow ball hitch and swivel the rack left and right to open doors (once tilted) It’s a real faff and doesn’t make life easy but I guess it would work for some… Gonna sell mine as I need something that works better since I’m planning an overlander. Hope this helps

I have a Tow trust detachable tow bar with a Thule 3 bike rack (It's not an easy fold though). On mine if you unlock the towball hitch and rotate it to the right and tilt it back you can just about get into the nearside back door. Yes indeed a pain to do but just about do-able! Much easier to unload the bikes. Faff is a good word for this process! Best bit of advice with the Towball itself is to use a tennis ball cover, much less painful when you forget the towball is there and clout your shins on it!

Back