Which bike rack should I get for 4 cycles?

My westfalia doesn’t have it either, we will have to stick with looping it over the ball

Can you open your tailgate with this still fitted? Just about to buy a bike rack as the one I have (Atera) doesn’t come back enough to open the tailgate with the bikes fitted
Yep, I have 2 Adults bike and childs bike on the carrier. There is about 1.5” clearance :thumbsup:

If you have mountain bikes with wide bars, you may need to slacken the stem bolts and turn the bars through 90 degrees on the bike nearest to the van.

B995D9B5-5389-4D80-9A1D-CA52D269B49A.jpeg 3A06D923-C864-4145-9CCE-D2B4BD2C4B10.jpeg 2F35CE85-53DA-44EB-95EF-F741450C844C.jpeg 8BC04FCF-8095-40F5-B8B9-327754B70697.jpeg 5AD2DC02-A481-4755-9C10-2E09518D3AB1.jpeg 8D8A5227-AF0B-47B7-9B8B-6D588B3E644B.jpeg If anyone’s interested here’s a few photos of my DL3..

It clears tailgate easily with bikes loaded (approx 25mm), without bikes it’s much closer unless the stay bar is dropped (2 clips)

Oh and I forgot to mention that I have turned the handle bars on the bike closes to the van, this isn’t absolutely necessary as they clear by approx 100 min but my paranoid thinking is that if we have a small rear end shunt then I will have a smashed rear window.

Hi Eli1264 - I have a Bamboo Green 68 plate T6 too! This rack looks great - could I ask how much you paid for it please? and how easy it is to use with the tailgate please?
Hi Des, it fits pretty much straight out of the box

Reactions: Des
Hi, I am currently looking to buy a VW Campervan and notice the mixture of 'tailgates' and 'barn doors' types. Our main requirement for this campervan is to be able to take 4 mountain bikes on the back when heading off camping. Does that mean we should only be looking at 'tailgate' options, and have a 4 bike VW bike rack fitted to the back door? Does the VW 4 bike rack hold the 4 bikes comfortably, or is it a squeeze to get them on?

I see other people getting a tow bar fitted to the 'barn doors' option and then buying a 4 bike tow bar mounted carrier. To me that looks more awkward and you also have a big bike carrier lying around your camping pitch to look after.

I'm just really keen to hear peoples opinion before we commit to buying a van. There seems to be more 'barn door' vans for sale. Are 'tail gate' options still available okay?

Thanks very much!

I'd defo say you want a tailgate for bikes. Quite a few options available

IMG_3810.jpeg

You cant get 4 bikes on the rear mounted rack, but not if they're full fat full suspension bikes as there isn't enough clearance between them

Back