Recommended Window Suppliers

• Total voters

drew_greenday

T6 Guru
I am getting close to the window cutting stage and was wondering what glass people have used. I had caravans all around on my last van and didn't mind them, the slider didn't leak. Was looking at the camper glass window deals T6 Driver Side Sliding Window AND Passenger Fixed Window - VW T4, T5, & T6 Windows has anyone fitted the glass, is it any good?

Secondly, do people still use a grinder? I was dead against that because of the sparks and heat generation. I was looking more towards a nibbler?

Andy

I used kiravans on my van. Apart from the issue on the rear door glass that was a mismatch and had to be removed I have no complaints and would def recommend them

Hey Andy, I opted for the OEM VW sliding windows in both sides. In my opinion they look best and I haven't had issues with previous Ines fitted either. They are a bit more complex to install but if your confident with tools this shouldn't be an issue. I would definitely not use a grinder for the job, or for any for that matter! I used a jigsaw on the long straight sections and the a pneumatic respricating saw for the corners and trimming. You do need to cut the double skin but I have all measurements if your going this route. Also I fitted a U rubber in the inner skin then black silicone between that and the glass which gave it a really smart and good finish, you will need to trim the top and bottom sliding rail covers but that's no big issues either. Even with the jigsaw and pneumatic saw remove door seals and tape off all the van as the hit metal parts will melt into the rubbers and turn rusty I have seen the previously on a friends van. Order the trim for rear of window also as it looks good and closes the gap at the rear where window is bonded.
Any more info needed just give a shout
Best if luck and keep a steady hand
Regards
Sean

Do you have any pictures Sean. I will be fitting a slider behind the drivers seat and the rest fixed. Sounds a bit of extra work but the look is far better I think. I am looking to buy a nibbler as I don't want grinding sparks everywhere.

Andy

The process I used is as follows -

Drill through from the inside of the van to the outside every time there is a change of direction using the inner skin as a guide (i.e. holes at both ends of corner curves, changes of angle on the skin etc)
On the outside of the van using a straight edge join up the dots with a permanent marker so that you have a cutting guide that follows the inner skin shape
From the outside of the van jigsaw between the holes following the lines. Use window suckers on the metal work so that when you make the final cut the panel doesnt fall and damage your van. At the curved corners cut a straight line diagonally between the drill holes. On some of the windows you have to cut through the inner skin where the stiffener is but the jigsaw goes through it fine.
Using hand snips trim the metal all around on any bits that are higher than the inner skin. Also use the hand snips to cut the curves at each corner
Using a retractible knife (the ones that you can snap the blades off with) cut into the rubber bead all around between the two skins getting the knife between the bead and the metal and remove all the beading
Knock on the U prifile edge trim using a rubber mallet - Some people put sikaflex between the skins at this point. I dint it on the first window but didnt bother with the rest as the U profile holds the skins together without it
Once the profile is on prime around the outer edge of the trim using the dinitrol primer. Also prime the glass with the activator.
Offer the window up to the rubber and ensure it sits well against the U profile. You may have to knock the trim in or out in places
Once you are sure its a good fit apply the adhesive and then offer up the window - Make sure you have a strong adhesive gun for this. The cheap £5 ones wont cut it, I learned this the hard way. I ended up with a £15 one out of screwfix which handled it well. Also get a bit of heat into the adhesive tube too - I had mine on a radiator when I was doing the other stuff.

Thats basically it

Oh one other thing. Buy a container of panel wipe off ebay or amazon. Its a life saver when you get adhesive on the paint (which you will). With panel wipe it just wipes straight off. Also use rubber gloves as the dinitrol is a nightmare to get off your skin once it dries

I just realised I missed a key step. Once the rubber seal Is removed from between the two skins you need to knock the inner skin out until it meets the outer skin using a rubber hammer. You work your way around the window closing the gap. This allows you to get the u profile rubber trim over both inner and outer skins holding them together and giving a better finish inside the van
Best that I can do @drew_greenday

Hey Andy, I will send you some pics in the morning they are not coming out great this evening with poor light etc. Yes the nibbler will also do the job but it won't get you through the support sections and can distort the panels it not used correctly. If fitting the OEM slider the nibbler won't work for cutting the two skins I would say as the are about 10-12 mm apart so this will make it very tricking to use a nibbbler. If you are buying the nibbler specifically for the job the I would suggest you buy a jigsaw instead which will suit better and you will more likely use in the future. The reciprocating saw would come in handy for corners and they are not expensive maybe around £50 for a good one.
On my T5.1 I also went with one slider and a year later fitted the second one, two are great if it's in you budget

I've already got a jigsaw so was planning on using that for the supporting struts in the middle and then nibbler around the sides. Pictures will be good thanks.

Hey Guys, I'm looking at an OEM side sliding window and a solid OEM side window. Can anyone help with the cost of the windows on their own? cheers Paul

Thank you Sean. I should of asked but how much was the fitting roughly. thanks

A jigsaw will cut the apertures no problem, just make sure you mask the van well or the hot swarf will stick to the paint and go rusty (don't ask me how I know!!). The biggest tip I can give is to rent or buy a powered mastic gun to apply the glue (£18ish), it's well worth buying a couple of those glass sucker handle things too (about £5 each on ebay). It really is a simple job

My roof fitter is going to fit me an OEM slider for £270, including the window so happy with that.

Think ill get OEM for the remaining fixed windows.

Back