Welcome @Jamie86.....you've stumbled into the right place! Best VW Transporter forum occupied by some great people who are always happy to help! Great van by the way!! Go get a coffee.....this is gonna be long winded!! Got one......right, here goes! Now, fuel consumption is a real hot potato.....staggering inconsistencies between vans. First thing I'd say is don't trust the multi fictional display until you've checked your consumption manually. Mine was wwwwwaaaayyyyy out! Then I got it recalibrated and it was even more wwwwwwaaaaayyyyy out! 3rd time lucky though....it's now ok. I've found on mine (150 manual kombi...….18000 miles) that I can get pretty good economy so long as I drive like a vicar and anticipate......I'm not trying to teach you how to drive btw......I'm just telling you how I use mine. I've seen a genuine 60 to the gallon on a motorway run.....but that was in the recent high (tail) winds! I sit in the slow lane at between 55 and 60 mph. Above that and economy falls off rapidly.....don't forget, they're about as aerodynamic as a garden shed.....hence 60mpg from a tail wind!! In general use, which is normally light traffic up here in N.Yorks, I'm consistently getting low 40's. That's a mix of rural and motorway. I was surprised to note an improvement when I switched back to the 16" claytons for winter from my 17" Devonports. I always run shell optimax and diesel rhino additive btw. Don't panic.....check the MFD (2) against a manual calc first. Love the wheels but I'd be slightly suspicious of them......after my recent experience just swapping 17's for 16's! Are you using supermarket diesel.....which is a whole new discussion!!! :thumbsup:

Very useful insight - thanks. I would really like to hear your thoughts re Supermarket Diesel vs Branded. Cheers

Very useful insight - thanks. I would really like to hear your thoughts re Supermarket Diesel vs Branded. Cheers
Hi Morgan, I noticed a 4 mpg gain on the same run/conditions between Tesco super and BP ultimate in my TSI. I know I'm petrol, but still worth mentioning.

Great looking van @Jamie86. Looks very similar to mine, also from LV :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

In my case, loaded up Cali 204 4motion, I get:
  • 25-31 mpg running about local
  • 30-40 mpg mainly motorway
  • 58 mpg achieved on a 5 hour stint at 58mph on French Autoroute (in convoy with slower vehicles)
Over 58mph the consumption just goes up steeply.

Welcome @Jamie86 to Team Black it's nice to see another member on the darker side of T6 ownership :cool:

Mine is a 204 DSG, with around 400kgs of extra weight at all times, same size tank as you, and I certainly don't drive economically. Mainly Motorway miles, long distances every day, and i'm getting around 450 miles to a tank, which I can improve to around 500 if I use cruise control on a very long stint.

I've never run a drop of supermarket fuel, and used 100% Shell V-Power from zero miles, but that's a personal choice.
(although for some daft reason Waitrose has split from Shell, and no longer give shopping reward vouchers, which is why I ran Shell fuel. So might swap to BP Ultimate)

Last edited:
In my case, loaded up Cali 204 4motion, I get:
  • 25-31 mpg running about local
  • 30-40 mpg mainly motorway
  • 58 mpg achieved on a 5 hour stint at 58mph on French Autoroute (in convoy with slower vehicles)
Over 58mph the consumption just goes up steeply.
@Loz.....that's impressive! I'd be chuffed if I could squeeze that from my very lightly loaded 150 manual! @Tourershine....mine too has been run from day one on shell optimax and diesel rhino.....so in fairness, I can't make a comparison with supermarket fuel. It just makes me feel better to use it.....but it is getting bloody expensive. If I was a high miler, I might take a different view? What did surprise me was the effect switching back to my Claytons had....but then they do run at considerably higher pressures.:thumbsup:

@Loz.....that's impressive! I'd be chuffed if I could squeeze that from my very lightly loaded 150 manual! @Tourershine....mine too has been run from day one on shell optimax and diesel rhino.....so in fairness, I can't make a comparison with supermarket fuel. It just makes me feel better to use it.....but it is getting bloomin expensive. If I was a high miler, I might take a different view? What did surprise me was the effect switching back to my Claytons had....but then they do run at considerably higher pressures.:thumbsup:

I'm of the thinking, you get back what you put in. Use cheap fuel, get a cheap service, use high end fuel, and it keeps everything tip top inside the fuel system. Maybe a total placebo invented by the fuel companies, but i've always been the same and never had a diesel vehicle fail.
I loathe following vehicles that belch out crap from their exhausts, forcing me to keep pressing my recirculation button to stop throwing up:mad: I find it generally rude that owners of such vehicles think it's ok for everyone behind to breath in fumes bellowing out of an unmaintained pile of junk. People that drive these things don't have to breath in the stink, but i'd love to put them in a box for 30 seconds whilst I sit in their vehicles revving the nuts out the engines, with a pipe connected to the box. (as you can tell, it's a pet hate)

Last edited:
I'm of the thinking, you get back what you put in. Use cheap fuel, get a cheap service, use high end fuel, and it keeps everything tip top inside the fuel system. Maybe a total placebo invented by the fuel companies, but i've always been the same and never had a diesel vehicle fail.
I loathe following vehicles that belch out crap from their exhausts, forcing me to keep pressing my recirculation button to stop throwing up:mad: I find it generally rude that owners of such vehicles think it's ok for everyone behind to breath in fumes bellowing out of an unmaintained pile of junk. People that drive these things don't have to breath in the stink, but i'd love to put them in a box for 30 seconds whilst I sit in their vehicles revving the nuts out the engines, with a pipe connected to the box. (as you can tell, it's a pet hate)
I wish there was an app where I could enter the vrn of the smokers and it summoned them to an MOT...

I wish there was an app where I could enter the vrn of the smokers and it summoned them to an MOT...

I thought I read the government was adding much stricter rules for things like this on an MOT.

I thought I read the government was adding much stricter rules for things like this on an MOT.

So did I but still see them.
Look at it another way gents....these brain donors who drive around belching out fumes AND often leaking diesel onto the road won't, by and large be bothered about having their vehicles MOT'd or insured!! Great idea about the app but they'd stay under the radar anyway and there aren't any traffic police anymore so they go about their business unhindered!! Woe betide me if I do 34 in a 30 though.....aaaaargh!:mad:

Back to the OP ........ I've got a 2.0 150 bhp kombi - around town 31 ish - long run on motorways driving like at old lady 44 mpg

The VW claims are completely OTT (as are most manufacturers)

I Couldn't agree more Murdoch. I havent got 30 mpg out of my state of the art T6, 150 bhp, Highline since i purchased it!!!!!
The driving experience is fab in my view but i think VW are a bunch of con men and the after sales is s..t !

I Couldn't agree more Murdoch. I havent got 30 mpg out of my state of the art T6, 150 bhp, Highline since i purchased it!!!!!
The driving experience is fab in my view but i think VW are a bunch of con men and the after sales is s..t !

Ford are just as bad ... the misses has a 1.0 litre eco turbo, which struggles to do much more than 44 mpg when driven like an old person ....

Mpg tests should be conducted by independent test companies, on real roads ...

Hi All,
Just wanted to throw another set of numbers into this. I have a 2017 T6 baseline 102 fully converted by Venture and decided to leave the original steels on for reasons of cost, for now, but in the short time I've had her I'm getting late 30's to low 40's around town on short trips and just getting into the 50's for longer runs, but I also drive it like a nun on Sunday afternoon... Motorways usually 60mph. Going through roadworks on the M1 recently it peaked at 57mpg on the dash at 50mph for 30odd miles but I've no idea yet how accurate that is... Looks like I need a tank milage test....
Cheers
Pete

ADDENDUM: my 2004 Golf GT TDI 150 gets 50mpg regularly on a decent run. She will hit 200k miles soon. She's smoking less now as she's just about run in :thumbsup:
She looks immaculate and sails through her MOT so most of our vans still have a long way to go. That engine is solid, be pleased with it.

Hi All,
Just wanted to throw another set of numbers into this. I have a 2017 T6 baseline 102 fully converted by Venture and decided to leave the original steels on for reasons of cost, for now, but in the short time I've had her I'm getting late 30's to low 40's around town on short trips and just getting into the 50's for longer runs, but I also drive it like a nun on Sunday afternoon... Motorways usually 60mph. Going through roadworks on the M1 recently it peaked at 57mpg on the dash at 50mph for 30odd miles but I've no idea yet how accurate that is... Looks like I need a tank milage test....
Cheers
Pete

The onboard computer MPG is generally optimistic .......... I ignore the computer and rely and tank to tank filling ................. going downhill I regularly get 99mpg!

:slow rofl:
Strange that. So do I! I'd like to try a 99mile long hill though.
But even if it's optimistic they are good numbers. I'll do full to empty drive over chrimbo

Back