After visiting VWVC, we then finalised our decision for @Exploria Ltd to continue our conversion journey. For ~12months I'd been considering the usual companies and, after a visit to Brighouse (which is ~180miles away!), decided that they would do a fantastic job with our long list of jobs...

- Painted Reimo slim-line SWB elevating roof with poweder coated Reimo active rails for roof bars
- Elevating roof trimmed in Alcantara and Exploria roof bed trimmed in GTE fabric
- LED colour changing surround lighting in elevating roof strengthening frame
- VW rear-quarter windows, all rear windows tinted 20% and VanX blackout curtains to all rear windows
- Ply line all walls/door cards and line out in J Brownd McKenzie Indigo herringbone fabric
- x6 LED warm white dimmable spotlights on 2-way switch in to elevating roof bed and x2 LED warm white spotlights in to tailgate
- One piece, 12mm ply floor with Karndean flooring
- Multivan/caravelle side step
- Multivan sleeper pack and 2" mattress topper
- Sterling DC to DC charger and Sterling 30amp 240v battery charger
- x2 underseat 110AH low level leisure batteries
- Fuseboxes, battery level indicators, breaker, underbody 240v inlet socket, x5 12v sockets and x3 240v sockets
- 250w Photonic Universe semi flexible solar panel and Victron 100/20 solar regulator
- Webasto diesel heater (underslung) with OEM ducts to B post pillar and 7 day timer
- x2 Reimo Multirails
I have been undecided for 12 months about should I convert my 2017 Kombi. I have contacted Exploria. and they have sent me details and costs. My main concern is investing in a Campervan with the diesel issue. As all in my costs will total 60k

I have been undecided for 12 months about should I convert my 2017 Kombi. I have contacted Exploria. and they have sent me details and costs. My main concern is investing in a Campervan with the diesel issue. As all in my costs will total 60k

That is a very good valid point. I’m just about to embark on a conversion which is going to stand me similar overall

It makes you wonder if we will be penalised in some way shape or form down the line as I’m guessing that these purchases/investments are for the long term :thumbsdown:

That is a very good valid point. I’m just about to embark on a conversion which is going to stand me similar overall

It makes you wonder if we will be penalised in some way shape or form down the line as I’m guessing that these purchases/investments are for the long term :thumbsdown:
I worry about that as the government may implement to take advantage of this situation and penalised Diesel owners :(

Absolutely no question that we'll be penalised for it. The noose will tighten round the neck of any and all internal combustion engine vehicles over the next decade as governments desperate for money to replenish empty coffers sense that the tide of public opinion is changing (talk to under 20yr olds, they all think that non electric cars should be banned as soon as possible). Don't get too hung up on the diesel thing though, the reaper won't be far behind for petrol too, particularly if people start moving away from diesel, the tax has to come from somewhere.

Pessimistic? Maybe slightly, but I've said it before and I'll say it again - driving cars or vans with fossil fuel burning engines will never be this cheap and easy again. Enjoy it and make the most of it while you can, because owning them will get very much more expensive in the future, and they are going away.

Absolutely no question that we'll be penalised for it. The noose will tighten round the neck of any and all internal combustion engine vehicles over the next decade as governments desperate for money to replenish empty coffers sense that the tide of public opinion is changing (talk to under 20yr olds, they all think that non electric cars should be banned as soon as possible). Don't get too hung up on the diesel thing though, the reaper won't be far behind for petrol too, particularly if people start moving away from diesel, the tax has to come from somewhere.

Pessimistic? Maybe slightly, but I've said it before and I'll say it again - driving cars or vans with fossil fuel burning engines will never be this cheap and easy again. Enjoy it and make the most of it while you can, because owning them will get very much more expensive in the future, and they are going away.
Yes agree 100%

absolutely love the fabric that you used for the lining! very interested in getting this for my conversion, im presuming its stretchy enough to completely line the back of my t5, whats it like for wear and tear? is it glued straight to the metal parts of the van?

absolutely love the fabric that you used for the lining! very interested in getting this for my conversion, im presuming its stretchy enough to completely line the back of my t5, whats it like for wear and tear? is it glued straight to the metal parts of the van?
Hi Matt, the fabric looks amazing (IMHO!). It's probably less durable than usual 'felt' linings but so far has managed to look great (and that's with lots of camping and three little ones). You could get some samples - i just went on the J Brown website and ordered some samples over the phone. J Brown fabrics are often on eBay too so you may wish to look there. It is glued on to the ply panels and the metal with the usual upholstery glue. Let me know how you get on.

Hi Matt, the fabric looks amazing (IMHO!). It's probably less durable than usual 'felt' linings but so far has managed to look great (and that's with lots of camping and three little ones). You could get some samples - i just went on the J Brown website and ordered some samples over the phone. J Brown fabrics are often on eBay too so you may wish to look there. It is glued on to the ply panels and the metal with the usual upholstery glue. Let me know how you get on.
Thanks for the info, ordering samples as we speak, how much stretch has the fabric got in it? The guys who are doing my conversion are a bit worried that it's not gonna be very easy to do the metal parts of the van. Do you know if it takes longer to do than the regular carpet?

Bought a little dometic cf-11 fridge/freezer for between front seats.

So far so good. Fits the essentials - 4pt milk bottle even fits.

Plan is to take this for 1-2night trips (and not the dometic cfx 35 which is below sleeper pack platform in boot). On longer trips, will likely take both - 35 for food and 11 for ice for g&t/ice cream!

IMG_20200301_201039_887.jpg

Great conversion. How has the non carpet held up? We are looking to go non carpet, I can’t believe there is so little choice. My feeling is fitter have hit upon people love of grey carpet and have stopped innovating. Well done.

Great conversion. How has the non carpet held up? We are looking to go non carpet, I can’t believe there is so little choice. My feeling is fitter have hit upon people love of grey carpet and have stopped innovating. Well done.
Still looking good a year or so on... Highly recommended. And I have x3 little ones in the back a lot of the time

Back