Have a t30 - converted to a kombi with 50mm h&r springs and standard shocks -265 40 tyres and 20” calibre alloys- it rides perfectly fine for me and sits level (would prefer it to be a tad lower tbh) - doesn’t bottom out but rides a fair bit firmer so handles better

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a suspension issue or wheel/tyre issue. I find the ride quite hard in my camper, feel every bump in the road and every surface change. The rear feels like a pogo stick and after having a friend follow behind he confirmed that is what it looks like too.

The camper is on coil overs but I am not sure the manufacturer, I have just about got a picture of them but it only shows the colour. The wheels are 20" with 275/35 R20 tyres, currently got 36psi in all 4. The place I bought it from recommended going back to 50psi as they found this was the most comfortable, this is the only advice they have given on how to improve ride quality.

I am just after some advice on which direction to go in, whether I raise the suspension or its the wheels/tyres causing the issues.

Thanks

Camper.jpg

Front wheel.jpg

Rear wheel.jpg

Suspension.jpg

I would try identify the current suspension. Mine came with some really cheap coilovers and they were terrible, I swapped to Bilstein b14s and its 100 times better (although there are better/cheaper/more comfortable options available)

It looks like there is some stretch on the back tyres too, this impacts the load rating so might be worth checking, although I doubt this would cause the pogo effect.

20's will always compromise the comfort a little bit at the sacrifice of looks.... because you've hardly any sidewall rubber to absorb bumps and potholes...

And if your suspension is sub standard as well then that will make it feel a 100 times worse....

Koni's are arguably the best for comfort on drops of upto 40mm....
If you want to go lower then probably Bilsteins....

Suspension is always subjective topic... whats perfect for you might be viewed as just OK by the next person....

I went 40mm drop, Koni's and 19's as a best compromise and it works well for me.... great handling and comfort on most road surfaces....

So, i'm just gonna put this out there ... increasing the pressure to 50psi will not improve ride comfort. (But it may well increase tyre wear.)

Obviously ride quality is totally subjective, but 20"s on 275/35 should not, of themselves, make the ride "bad". And the suspension doesn't look overly low either, and it appears to have a good few coils to wind down too. So my finger in the air would be either (i) you have a high bar for comfort (nothing wrong with that!) or (ii) if that's not the case, those coilovers could be the issue

Have a look around under the rear too. It seems fairly common on conversions that the rear adjusters are wound right out to try jack the back end up, this can over tension the rear spring to the point they have very little travel left...causing a pogo effect.

So, i'm just gonna put this out there ... increasing the pressure to 50psi will not improve ride comfort. (But it may well increase tyre wear.)

Obviously ride quality is totally subjective, but 20"s on 275/35 should not, of themselves, make the ride "bad". And the suspension doesn't look overly low either, and it appears to have a good few coils to wind down too. So my finger in the air would be either (i) you have a high bar for comfort (nothing wrong with that!) or (ii) if that's not the case, those coilovers could be the issue

Your probably right with your first point. I was hoping it wasn’t going to be the suspension but it seems to be pointing that way.

It would be great to be able to identify the current suspension, from what we can see of it, it’s not one I recognise immediately.

Not all coil over kits are created equal when it comes to ride quality or comfort, nor handling or value for money either actually.

If we know what’s on their currently then we can suggest what might work better for you.

As for the wheels and tyres, 20s don’t have to be a problem, but the advice you were given to run at 50psi is poor advice. Your current pressures are pretty good and if your tyre wear is even stick with it, maybe just increase a couple of psi as it’s a camper rather than a kombi or PV.

Hi,

I find the ride quite hard in my camper.
suspension-jpg.97861
I’m going to hedge a bet and say that you have Stance+ installed on the van.
Maybe turn the wheel to full lock and see if you can get a better photo?

I’ve a camper conversion but I run 18’s. Stance+, who seem to be a mid-level brand, don’t bode well with heavy conversions - as don’t others. My rear was so stiff that they sent out taller springs, which only alleviated the problem a little.

You’ve brought up all the right issues that need considering: Suspension, Wheel size, Tyre pressure’s and Tyre manufacturer - now you’ve just got to work through them!

Personally I’d pop the few miles down the road that it is to the CRS Performance workshop and see what suspension they recommend. I’ve recently had the KW coilover kit installed and its a lot more comfortable than the Stance+.
@Steve will be able to diagnose.

It’ll never ride like a Bentley, but better than it currently does.

@CRS Performance I believe your only down the road from me in Cannock, would it be possible to pop in at some point (lockdown depending obviously) for you to take a look at my van?

HI Tim

With Pleasure , I am not in today ( Saturday ) but normally we do work Saturdays

Unit 45 Rumerhill Business Estate , Rumerhill Road , Cannock Staffs WS11 0ET enter complex drive to end of the road at the grey gate turn left and 3 rd unit uo on the left

steve

HI Tim

With Pleasure , I am not in today ( Saturday ) but normally we do work Saturdays

Unit 45 Rumerhill Business Estate , Rumerhill Road , Cannock Staffs WS11 0ET enter complex drive to end of the road at the grey gate turn left and 3 rd unit uo on the left

steve
Hi Steve, I’ll pop over next Saturday then if your in?

I took my van for Steve at CRS to take a look. Turns out my problem was due to cheap rubbish quality suspension. Steve recommended his H & R kit which he had in stock and was able to fit it the same day. Top quality service from Steve and he's transformed the way my van feels and handles. It copes with all the bumps that the roads got to throw at it now and feels much safer to drive on country roads.

Thanks again Steve its now a real pleasure to drive.

Hi, yes I did buy it from Status 1. I contacted them maybe a week or two ago asking for advice on my issue but there advise was no help.

I took my van for Steve at CRS to take a look. Turns out my problem was due to cheap rubbish quality suspension. Steve recommended his H & R kit which he had in stock and was able to fit it the same day. Top quality service from Steve and he's transformed the way my van feels and handles. It copes with all the bumps that the roads got to throw at it now and feels much safer to drive on country roads.

Thanks again Steve its now a real pleasure to drive.
Sadly a lot of Van companies dont see value in quality suspension and just need a cheap visual improvement in looks ,.. Very short sighted and so happy you are pleased

Back