Hi bought a T32 camper conversion swb it’s been fitted with 20” wheels,suspension seems very hard is there any way to soften it up.
Have you had a look at Suspension, Steering, Brakes
There are hundreds of discussions on suspension. The oversize wheels certainly don’t help. T32 suspension is stiff due to the load rating of the van, IMO it is OK as a fully loaded camper but many like you think otherwise.
@BognorMotors, @The Van Cave and @CRS Performance are all trade members with very good feedback, they can help you.

Hi bought a T32 camper conversion swb it’s been fitted with 20” wheels,suspension seems very hard is there any way to soften it up.
Hi there , we have lots of quality solutions for this and you dont need to drop it to get it to be more comfortable !! . In fact if comfort is the primary requirement DONT lower it at all , You will be amazed how good they are with Our Special active shocks

Give us a call if you need more information

CRS

The T32 is firm anyway, so your best solution will be to revert to the factory recommended wheel and tyre size. Which isn't 20's! If it's been lowered, that will just add to the problem. We went down 40 on H&R springs from new, standard 17 in wheels, and I'd say the ride is "ok", although firm and a little "crashy" on a poor road. It's certainly harder than it would be in a car. I had a T30 p/van for a day a while back, and it was better in terms of ride.

The T32 is firm anyway, so your best solution will be to revert to the factory recommended wheel and tyre size. Which isn't 20's! If it's been lowered, that will just add to the problem. We went down 40 on H&R springs from new, standard 17 in wheels, and I'd say the ride is "ok", although firm and a little "crashy" on a poor road. It's certainly harder than it would be in a car. I had a T30 p/van for a day a while back, and it was better in terms of ride.
The wheel size is less important with decent shocks , the wheel and tyre forms most of the unsprung mass and this is what the shock controls. The standard shocks are rubbish as we all know . Proper shocks and 20 inch wheels are fine and very acceptable ride . ( according to the bulk of our clients who all run 20 S )
The T32 is firm because the rear springs are rated to carry a ton . riding them empty is a big problem for comfort .

The wheel size is less important with decent shocks , the wheel and tyre forms most of the unsprung mass and this is what the shock controls. The standard shocks are rubbish as we all know . Proper shocks and 20 inch wheels are fine and very acceptable ride . ( according to the bulk of our clients who all run 20 S )
The T32 is firm because the rear springs are rated to carry a ton . riding them empty is a big problem for comfort .
While in no way wishing to challenge your expertise in this area, how can a tyre with (say) an inch of rubber and air between the road and the wheel give as supple a ride as one with (say) 4 inches? I've got a V70 Volvo on 18 in wheels which gives a noticeably harder ride than a friend's one, running the standard 16in wheel. I'm also interested in your thoughts on shocks, having always changed from standard back in my m/cycling days, largely as BMW shocks were rubbish!

Part of my reason for asking is that while I've no intention of putting on 20 inch wheels, based on all the issues I hear about them as regards tracking / wear etc, I might be interested in improving the shocks at some point.

Why I suggested this some time ago.
Separate the facts from the fiction and stop people making the same mistakes unless they really want to

While in no way wishing to challenge your expertise in this area, how can a tyre with (say) an inch of rubber and air between the road and the wheel give as supple a ride as one with (say) 4 inches? I've got a V70 Volvo on 18 in wheels which gives a noticeably harder ride than a friend's one, running the standard 16in wheel. I'm also interested in your thoughts on shocks, having always changed from standard back in my m/cycling days, largely as BMW shocks were rubbish!

Part of my reason for asking is that while I've no intention of putting on 20 inch wheels, based on all the issues I hear about them as regards tracking / wear etc, I might be interested in improving the shocks at some point.
I understand your thought pattern and you cant argue with the logic , However We dont want to get into a huge debate about BMW as you say, poor shocks often Run flat tyres make the ride really bad , IN fact it was cars like this that spurred KONI on, to make their Patented Special active shocks . With these dampers you can have the best of both worlds , A more comfy ride and sporty feel . The damper has the ability to soften the rebound damping forces when they detect a bump in the road ( a high speed compression )

We fit tons of these to Transporters all day every day and the results are brilliant , They wont function in a very low van because the suspension needs travel to maintain comfort of course . We fit many of these to Vans with 20 inch wheels as well and not once has anyone complained about the ride , The difference between a standard 17 inch wheel and my 20 inch tyres is 22 mm in the side wall . The diameter is 30 mm bigger as well and many argue that the bigger diameter allows the tyre to ride over bumps better . ?? These arent my opinions but those of customers and to be honest i enjoy the ride my 20 inch tyres give .
The best ride you can get from a Transporter is standard height and Special active dampers . Any lowering of any vehicle will take away comfort in some way , the lower you go the worse it gets . Even if you put the word Comfort in the title of the part it wont help ha ha
Happy to chat to you regarding dampers and the different models we sell . Give us a shout .

Chris @The Van Cave is the man I recommend you speak to. Will give you honest advise on what you need .

Thanks for the shout out @Matchyt30 . Steve @CRS Performance has already given the best advice possible for the OP. At standard ride height the special active Koni are in a league of their own and would no doubt solve the problem here.

From my conversations with both, it is clear to me that Chris and Steve do work together, particularly on technical developments and bringing new products to market, so honest advise from either @The Van Cave or @CRS Performance is a certainty!
We do work together, but @CRS Performance are the ones bringing new products and technical developments to market, each of which are outstanding in the correct application and I’m delighted to be able to offer these products to my customers too.

Hi looking to lower the suspension on my Camper ideally by 40mm or so, what is the best option on standard shocks.

Regards Richard.........

Thanks just spoken to him, really nice guy the recommend Koni Shocks and Springs with a 40mm drop which comes in about £1,175. Think I need to wait a bit and save up as I have spent a fortune thus far !!

Back