Making decisions on Rear Suspension for T6.1

4wdMotion

VIP Member
Hi, I have searched and read many posts, experiences, solutions and advice on the T6 Forum including the ‘back heavy and traction thread” about suspension issues and seeking to make a decision on my options. I have met and read about @TTKT solution and also read @AussieMick posts from the Forum.
We have a 2020 T6.1 LWB Tdi 450 4Motion (T30) on 17”chassis/rims as a campervan conversion here in Perth, Australia. It is specified as a standard spring set (weight code rear 0YC – weight class 3 and suspension code 1BA - rear coils 1 x yellow, 1 x blue dab) and is sagging in the rear comparative to the front (0JF – weight class 6 – 1 green and 3 grey paint dabs).
Front mid-hub to arch height is 455mm whereas Rear height is 425mm (with half tank diesel and currently 30L in water tank slung underneath along driver side. We also have a towbar and a lithium 150A "leisure" battery and associated electronics and equipment like portable tyre air compressor, recovery straps and associated camping gear under and behind the RIB bed). We want to restore the saggy rear to a standard height but at this stage do not want a suspension lift as the van does fit under our garage door with some clearance that will allow a bigger tyre (all-terrain) soon (and we are not interested in lowering the van).
From reading many comments on the Forum, the options I am evaluating are:
1) put VW rear springs from a greater weight class eg. 4 or ?? e.g. a T32 that may restore closer to standard height but may be stiffer – but what class and part number?? Suggestions most welcome.
2) after market springs – to restore to OEM height - but most seem oriented to lifting (or lowering) - any suggestions?
3) use spacers with existing coil springs - but in some States in Australia that is illegal e.g. South Australia - although an interpretation to restore to OEM height could be possible and the National Standards Bulletin 14 is silent on the use of spacers. This could be the easiest (and cheapest) but may not be possible.
4) a combination of 1, 2 or 3 with air assist bags in the coils to allow those times we carry an extra spare wheel or a trials motorbike on a carry rack on the towbar
5) Any option that I haven’t considered – I have considered full air suspension - but all other options are somewhat less expensive :)
6) I am also considering replacing the rear shocks e.g Koni, Bilstein or ?? to contribute to the ride, since suspension will be being worked on at the time.

Last edited:
Would lowering the front 35 mm be considered as a more legal option to get the chassis level or is this something you wouldnt want to do ??

A good question, but no, we do not want any potential lower overall ground clearance, given the tracks we like to travel in Australia. Ideally, we would like a lift for some of the tracks we follow but a permanent lift is not ideal for the percentage of travel on-road/off-road and the ability to house the van in our garage.

Hi, I have searched and read many posts, experiences, solutions and advice on the T6 Forum including the ‘back heavy and traction thread” about suspension issues and seeking to make a decision on my options. I have met and read about @TTKT solution and also read @AussieMick posts from the Forum.
We have a 2020 T6.1 LWB Tdi 450 4Motion (T30) on 17”chassis/rims as a campervan conversion here in Perth, Australia. It is specified as a standard spring set (weight code rear 0YC – weight class 3 and suspension code 1BA - rear coils 1 x yellow, 1 x blue dab) and is sagging in the rear comparative to the front (0JF – weight class 6 – 1 green and 3 grey paint dabs).
Front mid-hub to arch height is 455mm whereas Rear height is 425mm (with half tank diesel and currently 30L in water tank slung underneath along driver side. We also have a towbar and a lithium 150A "leisure" battery and associated electronics and equipment like portable tyre air compressor, recovery straps and associated camping gear under and behind the RIB bed). We want to restore the saggy rear to a standard height but at this stage do not want a suspension lift as the van does fit under our garage door with some clearance that will allow a bigger tyre (all-terrain) soon (and we are not interested in lowering the van).
From reading many comments on the Forum, the options I am evaluating are:
1) put VW rear springs from a greater weight class eg. 4 or ?? e.g. a T32 that may restore closer to standard height but may be stiffer – but what class and part number?? Suggestions most welcome.
2) after market springs – to restore to OEM height - but most seem oriented to lifting (or lowering) - any suggestions?
3) use spacers with existing coil springs - but in some States in Australia that is illegal e.g. South Australia - although an interpretation to restore to OEM height could be possible and the National Standards Bulletin 14 is silent on the use of spacers. This could be the easiest (and cheapest) but may not be possible.
4) a combination of 1, 2 or 3 with air assist bags in the coils to allow those times we carry an extra spare wheel or a trials motorbike on a carry rack on the towbar
5) Any option that I haven’t considered – I have considered full air suspension - but all other options are somewhat less expensive :)
6) I am also considering replacing the rear shocks e.g Koni, Bilstein or ?? to contribute to the ride, since suspension will be being worked on at the time.
Maybe speak with KombiLife at GC.
Mark is helpful.
I believe if you go with Seikel suspension then it and the vehicles warranty remains in tact.
No airbags. Just masks poor suspension setup.

Thanks for the input. Yes, Mark at KombiLife is always helpful. They have some Eibach load levelling rear springs to accomodate the constant load of the camper fit out.

Back