Don’t you like the H and R springs Jason

Andy
Hi Andy
I have had the -40 mm h&r springs on my van for over 2 years now and have been fine
But I’d like to go lower now , I didn’t at first, so these stance coil overs look like they can do the job and for a bargain price

A nice clear detailed review @SteveCole
I opted for the Bilstein set-up myself, but that was simply because the alternative at the time of my install in 2017 had slightly more inconsistent reviews, where as the B14 never seemed to have any reliability issues. Plus as a work vehicle that has now covered 70k on the B14s, carries heavy weight all the time and is driven enthusiastically, they are still performing as good as the day they were installed 2 years ago.
The main reason I never went down the 'Air' route was purely because I was constantly reading about issues with bags and pipes and general reliability problems. This for me was too much money, and a constant worry that I might jump in my van at 4am to shoot off to a job, and it be stuck on the floor. Couple that with a diary that is full of work, and no where to move customers to if anything went wrong, and air was ruled out a long time ago. (though I do love the concept)

Would I go for the B14s on my next T6? Well the simple answer is no. Not for any other reason than i'd now opt for the Solow set-up. They are running the same brilliant Bilstein shocks, but with the extra room to go lower, or at least sit at my height without being on the max settings.

Things hopefully look like they've moved on quality wise, and at the prices you've paid, i'd of certainly looked at the Stance coilovers, and others. So I totally get why you and others might go for this option and I genuinely hope that 70,000 miles in, they are still performing like new. This might in time force the higher end shocks down in price because I agree, the difference between Bilstein and the others is quite considerable, but one cannot help but think there is a reason for this. Only time and distance will tell :thumbsup:

Next on your list should be uprated anti roll bars and I speak through experience, get yours to a Hunter dealer, and get it 4 wheel aligned. There is a brilliant place near you in Hinkley that many of us have used, and they know the VW Transporter very well.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Andyf i would suggest that if you like the look of the van with H&R springs you just need to buy matching KONI sport shocks and the van will be perfect , ride really well handle great and most importantly COMFORTABLE
Swapping for a entry level coil over will be a step back in my humble opinion

CRS Performance have just fitted -40mm H&R springs with the Koni Active dampers and results are amazing.
Literally like driving a different vehicle.

I will do a more detailed review in a different thread.

Steve is the man. My van rides like a dream, handles fantastic. An absolute pleasure to drive after Steve’s handy work.

Sorry for the late reply! So the gap between the centre wheel cap and bottom arch is 385mm I do have pictures and I will upload later, i have just been very busy this week.

I am glad others have had both good experience with stance + and the koni + H&R set up. As I said I almost went down this route, I would be interested to one day try a back to back comparison.

I had the eibach coilys (KW dampers I believe) fitted by VW today. Took it down -55mm all corners but the back seems to be sitting a little lower. Might have to raise it 5mm on the rear to even out.
Fitter mentioned they need a week or so to settle then a fine tune?

7E18EBD7-BF44-46F9-84BF-219D51F789FB.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Loz
I don't believe quality products ( springs ) settle , if they do it would be 1 or 2 mm at most , all 4 springs would do the same and the low rear look would still be the same . However the correct way to measure the rake of the vehicle ( the cars attitude to the road ) is not by the wheel arches . a measurement from the sill line below the doors to the floor behind the front wheels to in front of the rear wheels. the difference in these measurements should be approx. 15 to 20 mm lower in front than the rear.

Most vehicles have a different arch in front than the rear to allow the steering front wheels to clear on lock . I understand the desired LOOK normally gets the better of owners to set the vehicles in a way that isn't technically correct but visually pleasing !

I do like the two tone look however on the Van

I don't believe quality products ( springs ) settle , if they do it would be 1 or 2 mm at most , all 4 springs would do the same and the low rear look would still be the same . However the correct way to measure the rake of the vehicle ( the cars attitude to the road ) is not by the wheel arches . a measurement from the sill line below the doors to the floor behind the front wheels to in front of the rear wheels. the difference in these measurements should be approx. 15 to 20 mm lower in front than the rear.

Most vehicles have a different arch in front than the rear to allow the steering front wheels to clear on lock . I understand the desired LOOK normally gets the better of owners to set the vehicles in a way that isn't technically correct but visually pleasing !

I do like the two tone look however on the Van
Thanks @CRS Performance - informative.
So to check, i need to measure these distances ..

upload_2019-11-20_8-15-12.png

Yep that's it spot on . we are looking for 15 to 20 mm higher in rear than front . ,That stance keeps nose weight correct and helps stop wheel spinning and optimise grip
So, we have 210mm front and 230mm rear. Unsure if it’s relevant but the distance from wheel centre to underside of wheel arch is near enough exactly the same front and rear. Tough to get it exact as the van is parked in tight space and it’s dark, but that’s not far off

I had my Stance + ultras fitted yesterday. Generally very pleased, but I am getting a banging noise every so often when I go over a bump. Anything to look out for? I have basically got them set as high as possible.

Back