Show us your kitchen

simon

Team Red
VIP Member
T6 Guru
IMG_20220528_180603__01__01.jpg
We are getting the van converted this autumn so it's time to pick our kitchen units, worktop and splash back.
The options are endless and going round in circles.
So please can you post your kitchen with the deets i.e. the colour name/style (if not obvious) for some inspiration and help me to visualise it in situation.

Thanks

Here’s ours - SWB with the smaller SMEV (9722?) and a top-loading BI41 fridge.
Not the greatest photos I know, but that’s probably because I’m not particularly happy with it
C08742FA-806C-4656-9C59-6EFAA16EA430.jpeg
841F0194-A857-4844-AC15-15DD69AE33D8.jpeg
Against the original plan
4B1DF230-6468-4CF7-98B3-39EDB2A0F6E7.jpeg

I was anal about having the fronts matching, but this doesn’t really work when your sliding seat ends up sitting in roughly the same places every time you set up camp.
We didn’t want tambour doors because of the rattling and likely jamming issues, but they would certainly help.
The joiner omitted the drawers as he was running behind on time.
NB the draw fronts under the cooker would end up being redundant, or just allowing you to view gauges, due to the Smev being recessed and sitting beneath the worktop, which I didn’t realise at the time.
I’m also going to cut a door in the rear panel so I can access the wardrobe when the tailgate is open.
And I’m going to fit high-density foam (or similar) between all surfaces where wood meets plastic, as the squeaking is a killer.

Here’s ours - SWB with the smaller SMEV (9722?) and a top-loading BI41 fridge.
Not the greatest photos I know, but that’s probably because I’m not particularly happy with it
View attachment 158423
View attachment 158424
Against the original plan
View attachment 158426

I was anal about having the fronts matching, but this doesn’t really work when your sliding seat ends up sitting in roughly the same places every time you set up camp.
We didn’t want tambour doors because of the rattling and likely jamming issues, but they would certainly help.
The joiner omitted the drawers as he was running behind on time.
NB the draw fronts under the cooker would end up being redundant, or just allowing you to view gauges, due to the Smev being recessed and sitting beneath the worktop, which I didn’t realise at the time.
I’m also going to cut a door in the rear panel so I can access the wardrobe when the tailgate is open.
And I’m going to fit high-density foam (or similar) between all surfaces where wood meets plastic, as the squeaking is a killer.
Nice clean lines

This is ours. It is lightweight garlic poplar ply laminated with solid oak veneer with solid American black walnut worktop and trim.

It wasn't made to our spec, we bought it after it had been made. The guy was a cabinet maker as his main job.

There's one thing thing that I am not happy with. In the first photo, the seat is in its usual locked in travelling position which gives plenty of space at the rear for packing. Unfortunately the cupboard next to the front of the seat (next to the oven) is where the water container and the switch to turn on the underslung gas. If we need to get to that the seat needs moving back, which if it has a load of stuff behind it, it can't be done. It can be slid right forward in that instance but then that disturbs the tightly packed stuff behind the seat. It is not a massive problem but one we have come across a few times.I wouldn't have an oven either. We have used it, but only because we have it.

52105891207_cd63f95525_c.jpgvan kitchen 1 by Nigel G, on Flickr

52107166634_b5c0c1f39e_c.jpgvan kitchen 2 by Nigel G, on Flickr

God, this lens needs a clean! With seats slid right back. They can be held in place here but not fully locked.

52106949748_6488208898_c.jpgvan kitchen 3 by Nigel G, on Flickr

The cupboard at the rear is 2 shelves of storage and also contains the electrical gubbins. The small cut out piece at the bottom is where the leisure battery is stored. To the left is a small lockbox, but not a safe. Can't really see the point of it TBH.

52105889987_d2803435de_c.jpgvan kitchen 4 by Nigel G, on Flickr

Last edited:
This is ours. It is lightweight garlic poplar ply laminated with solid oak veneer with solid American black walnut worktop and trim.

It wasn't made to our spec, we bought it after it had been made. The guy was a cabinet maker as his main job.

There's one thing thing that I am not happy with. In the first photo, the seat is in its usual locked in travelling position which gives plenty of space at the rear for packing. Unfortunately the cupboard next to the front of the seat (next to the oven) is where the water container and the switch to turn on the underslung gas. If we need to get to that the seat needs moving back, which if it has a load of stuff behind it, it can't be done. It can be slid right forward in that instance but then that disturbs the tightly packed stuff behind the seat. It is not a massive problem but one we have come across a few times.I wouldn't have an oven either. We have used it, but only because we have it.

View attachment 158439van kitchen 1 by Nigel G, on Flickr

View attachment 158440van kitchen 2 by Nigel G, on Flickr

God, this lens needs a clean! With seats slid right back. They can be held in place here but not fully locked.

View attachment 158441van kitchen 3 by Nigel G, on Flickr

The cupboard at the rear is 2 shelves of storage and also contains the electrical gubbins. The small cut out piece at the bottom is where the leisure battery is stored. To the left is a small lockbox, but not a safe. Can't really see the point of it TBH.

View attachment 158442van kitchen 4 by Nigel G, on Flickr
Is that an oven rather than a grill? I’d love an oven in mine, but only got the Smev Grill.

Love the colour combo on this.

And I love the idea of those little pocket shelves on the cupboard at the back, especially with a little lighting inside. Do you find them useful?

thanks!

I haven’t used those shelves in anger yet, but then again we haven’t used the van for anything other than day trips yet.

I think those shelves will be useful when we’re stopping off for a new nights, rather than general day-to-day storage. Cups/glasses or tea/coffee when in camping mode :)

Thanks mate. Yep bought the seat bed from Kernow, then bought the matching 2 single cali swivels from them a year later.

…worked out only a couple of hundred more than reupholstering the original single seats and adding swivel bases. Plus the factory swivels are so much better imo.

View attachment 158439van kitchen 1 by Nigel G, on Flickr

View attachment 158440van kitchen 2 by Nigel G, on Flickr

View attachment 158441van kitchen 3 by Nigel G, on Flickr

View attachment 158442van kitchen 4 by Nigel G, on Flickr
What bed and rails are these?

Back