Ovano, JC Vans, Slidepods, Plyguys, Steelpods, Fortywinks, Vanessa - Kombi dilemma!

What someone needs to design is a low rear bench seat system that can expend to make a bed but that you can also raise up to match the high of the folded down Kombi seats, this would be more useful that the current options that use the kombi seats as they all seems to have little headroom when used as a bench seat

I bought the Kombi Assynt units direct from The PlyGuys, but ending up selling it on to another forum member as the wife didn't like sitting on the benches and wanted a "proper" car seat in the back. They're very well finished and solidly built, only downside is that even for someone short like myself there's not much headroom if you don't have a poptop.

I have these now and really like the versatility. I can carry items 3.2m long between them, I can carry 8 x 4 sheets without removing them with the rear seats folded down (but cover the back or the rear seats). I can not sit on them but are getting swivel front seats next week so sitting is resolved. My top loading fridge fits nicely between them when in camping mode. Loads of storage which can be configured how you want it. All in all very good quality. Also, next week I am having a single removable rear seat fitted so I can carry 6 (fronts are both captains rather then 2 + 1). When in 6 seat mode I will remove one of the units therefore camping I can’t do in that mode. I do however, still have significant storage with the other unit in place. Easy to fit and easy to remove but you will need 2 people to lift them out. For me these were the best option for switching between, work van, football team transport, day van and even week long camping.

I bought the Kombi Assynt units direct from The PlyGuys, but ending up selling it on to another forum member as the wife didn't like sitting on the benches and wanted a "proper" car seat in the back. They're very well finished and solidly built, only downside is that even for someone short like myself there's not much headroom if you don't have a poptop.

I have these now and really like the versatility. I can carry items 3.2m long between them, I can carry 8 x 4 sheets without removing them with the rear seats folded down (but cover the back or the rear seats). I can not sit on them but are getting swivel front seats next week so sitting is resolved. My top loading fridge fits nicely between them when in camping mode. Loads of storage which can be configured how you want it. All in all very good quality. Also, next week I am having a single removable rear seat fitted so I can carry 6 (fronts are both captains rather then 2 + 1). When in 6 seat mode I will remove one of the units therefore camping I can’t do in that mode. I do however, still have significant storage with the other unit in place. Easy to fit and easy to remove but you will need 2 people to lift them out. For me these were the best option for switching between, work van, football team transport, day van and even week long camping.
Nice to hear! That is exactly the reason I would go for the Plyguys-option. Still lots of room to carry big stuff (where a van is intended for), nice camping setup, still be able to carry a bike between them and a nice bed!
How are the units mounted to the floor? Do they use the existing mounting points?
Thanks for the feedback!

Nice to hear! That is exactly the reason I would go for the Plyguys-option. Still lots of room to carry big stuff (where a van is intended for), nice camping setup, still be able to carry a bike between them and a nice bed!
How are the units mounted to the floor? Do they use the existing mounting points?
Thanks for the feedback!
Long ratchet strap runs from the rear D mount between the base of the unit and the pull out draw to the front D mount where you ratchet it down. i understand there is another way to use the original D mounts but I'm not sure what it is. Just make sure when you ratchet them down you do it so there's enough space between the ratchet and the D mount to open the ratchet enough to release it from the mount. Sounds a simple thing to remember but trust me, if you get it wrong you will need a robust set of scissors to cut it free and of course a new strap

Does anyone have any experience with JC Vans? This set up lols ideal for me. I’d like a large sliding drawer for my work tools, flat section to put boxes and steps and the option to make it into a bed for the rare occasion that I may need it.

Heya all
Considering a slide pod for my kombi but also looking at alternative has anyone used Vanessa stuff pros and cons vs slidepod and mattress and also best use of small space
Cheers

What did people go with who were choosing at the start of the year. I’m now at the same point and keep bottling a decision. I think I want a slide out bed for room but I do like the Ovano and acting as a bulkhead. Ply guys stuff looks the business too

Uberwagon kit looks good too

What did people go with who were choosing at the start of the year. I’m now at the same point and keep bottling a decision. I think I want a slide out bed for room but I do like the Ovano and acting as a bulkhead. Ply guys stuff looks the business too
I ended up going down the OVANO route, no regrets, love it.

Family camping is completely different to Couple camping…..Utilising a van for days out while camping for many is a must…..taking seats out to accommodate furniture for a family has its own issues…..a family of 4 sleeping in a van together can cause drama’s……for most it’s the whole outdoor living and the joy of freedom…….Consider your options carefully…..we as a couple decided after wasting money on awning tents that a simple easy to erect stand-alone tent worked best…allowing extra space that a van can’t give it also allows with a quick fold of the pod bed a van for trips out….

big plus for me ….the van can still used for other stuff ( not just an expensive toy that’s under used ) :)

I'd like a kombi bed/drawer storage system and I was well into the ply guys stuff because the harris tweed mattress looks great, but I don't think they fix to the transporter lashing points like the ovano / forty winks etc does.

JC vans looks good to for the delivery / installation option!

I'd like a kombi bed/drawer storage system and I was well into the ply guys stuff because the harris tweed mattress looks great, but I don't think they fix to the transporter lashing points like the ovano / forty winks etc does.

JC vans looks good to for the delivery / installation option!
I looked at both but personally found the quality of the OVANO better, plus they are local and the customer service is second to none.

I checked out an Ovano one and I have to admit it was extremely well made, but the JC one is also, the 2 factors that persuaded me to JC was (1) a bit closer to home not by much but maybe 100 miles round trip (2) the JC was over £500 less expensive which is a big chunk, the only difference I could really tell was the Ovano had stainless screws in the D hinges where as the JC has galvanised, and for £500 I can swap those out for stainless should I feel inclined to do so, I’m sure there are other subtle differences which I have not noticed, but as I said those 2 factors were enough for me.

Yes I agree it’s a lot of cost difference. I really like the cord that holds the bulk head section up which suits my needs as I sometimes carry heavy boxes on the top of the parcel section.

Back