Ovano, JC Vans, Slidepods, Plyguys, Steelpods, Fortywinks, Vanessa - Kombi dilemma!

Hello buddy, not a problem I wasn’t the most informative in my post but after looking I’ve not seen one that allows the rear seats to be kept! And I’m not a fan of RIB bed’s but thank you anyway buddy

Kind regards,

Andrew

This is exactly (Well, near as dammit) what I have been sketching on envelopes for a couple of years now! Do you have any plans for it?
Where did you source the drawer slides from and which ones exactly?
It looks fantastic and fits to the legs of the Kombi bed? The furthest I got with the slides about 6 months ago was about £400 per pair! I ran away from the project at that point.

This is exactly (Well, near as dammit) what I have been sketching on envelopes for a couple of years now! Do you have any plans for it?
Where did you source the drawer slides from and which ones exactly?
It looks fantastic and fits to the legs of the Kombi bed? The furthest I got with the slides about 6 months ago was about £400 per pair! I ran away from the project at that point.
Sorry for the delay in replying, real life getting in the way.
no plans I’m afraid. I just sketch, measure and cut
The main sliders are these:

AOLISHENG Heavy Duty Drawer Runners with Lock 1200mm Full Extension Load Capacity 150 Kg Ball Bearing Long Industrial Locking Drawer Slides Side Mount 1 Pair (with Lock, 48 inch (1200mm)) https://amzn.eu/d/8rzy5BD

wood is 18mm ply.

I bought the Kombi Assynt units direct from The PlyGuys, but ending up selling it on to another forum member as the wife didn't like sitting on the benches and wanted a "proper" car seat in the back. They're very well finished and solidly built, only downside is that even for someone short like myself there's not much headroom if you don't have a poptop.

I have these now and really like the versatility. I can carry items 3.2m long between them, I can carry 8 x 4 sheets without removing them with the rear seats folded down (but cover the back or the rear seats). I can not sit on them but are getting swivel front seats next week so sitting is resolved. My top loading fridge fits nicely between them when in camping mode. Loads of storage which can be configured how you want it. All in all very good quality. Also, next week I am having a single removable rear seat fitted so I can carry 6 (fronts are both captains rather then 2 + 1). When in 6 seat mode I will remove one of the units therefore camping I can’t do in that mode. I do however, still have significant storage with the other unit in place. Easy to fit and easy to remove but you will need 2 people to lift them out. For me these were the best option for switching between, work van, football team transport, day van and even week long camping.
I’m looking at the possibility of this or one of their other models. How do you find the space in the back when using them as sofas? Do you have any pics?

I’m looking at the possibility of this or one of their other models. How do you find the space in the back when using them as sofas? Do you have any pics?
As a general rule, I don't. Because the front seats swivel, we tend to sit there. That way, we only have to flip the mattress section over the rear seat, and we are set to do whatever for the day. We still have full use of the kitchen area as they slide out the back, which means we have to walk outside to get to the seats rather than just hopping in the back. Also, if we are late back, we fold the rear seat and mattress back over and go straight to bed. I think the proper van seats are far more comfortable than sitting in the back. But then I have knackered back. It may be different for you. I hope that helps in some way.

Thanks for replying. I have thought about just using the front area for dining etc (there’s 4 of us so will have a pop top as well) but then I think you lose the appeal of the rear. Some pics of your van would be great to see it in action

Sorry for the delay in replying, real life getting in the way.
no plans I’m afraid. I just sketch, measure and cut
The main sliders are these:

AOLISHENG Heavy Duty Drawer Runners with Lock 1200mm Full Extension Load Capacity 150 Kg Ball Bearing Long Industrial Locking Drawer Slides Side Mount 1 Pair (with Lock, 48 inch (1200mm)) https://amzn.eu/d/8rzy5BD

wood is 18mm ply.
Thanks for your reply! Real life getting in my way too so completely understand. Thanks for the really useful information regarding ply and runners. You have enabled a huge step closer to my building something. Thank you kindly.

I went down the (Van Furniture) kombi sliding bed route. Same height as the seats but not much headroom if you're planning on spending time sitting on it, we don't. The units come out really quickly if I need to use as a van. Like you I previously had a camper with built in cupboards and a pop top, dont miss any of that as its all in the awning now and no kids

View attachment 146455View attachment 146456View attachment 146457
Hi, where did you get the mattresses from?
Cheers Gaz

Ovano + fortywinks mattress.

Swopped the Fortywinks base for Ovano due the issue with support over the back of the Kombi rear seats which are not strong enough to kneel on. Also the pull out draw is great on Ovano. But it is nearly 4 times the price.

For 1/4 the price of the Ovano the Fortywinks is a good bit of kit.

I’m having a new system fitted in my conversion at this moment it’s a fold up bed being done at cjl leisure will post up some photos when completed it’s mainly suitable for Lwb and ticks a lot of boxes for my use
The photo below is not my van

View attachment 156436
Hi - have you got any pics of this fitted and feedback on it in general? Cheers

Ovano. Forty winks mattress. Works for us.

Did have the forty winks bed but sold it to get Ovano which is far more practical with the sliding draw for us.

Hi - have you got any pics of this fitted and feedback on it in general? Cheers
Hi JJW I reviewed CJL in the review a business part of the forum i Cant recommend them as a company from my experience with them, but the conversion works for me in my business and private use. I took a lot of time deciding how to configure my van and it works for me it is still work in progress as just had a tow bar fitted this week sorry this might not help much but I don’t won’t to promote a company I can’t recommend
cheers paint

Hi JJW I reviewed CJL in the review a business part of the forum i Cant recommend them as a company from my experience with them, but the conversion works for me in my business and private use. I took a lot of time deciding how to configure my van and it works for me it is still work in progress as just had a tow bar fitted this week sorry this might not help much but I don’t won’t to promote a company I can’t recommend
cheers paint
Thanks Paint

Take it JC vans is no more and it's now CADCO?

Back