There are varying levels of quality when it comes to remaps.
Most basic is a generic map to suit all vehicles with a certain engine. Obviously this is the highest risk but typically the cheapest.
A more conscientious approach is to operate the vehicle, on a rolling road for example, and measure various parameters to enable a generic map to be tweaked for each particular vehicle. These are obviously better but will not necessarily give the results and/or driveability you want.
A full custom remap will measure engine parameters at any number of loads, speeds, throttle positions etc. and be fully tuned to give the desired output. This is obviously more time consuming and potentially requires more high end equipment so is inevitably more expensive.
Pendle's mapping is certainly customised and from what I've seen is tailored to each vehicle and/or customer as required.
As for Elite?...

Last edited:
Yes, once I got used to driving it normally again.
What kind of gains if you don’t mind me pestering? It makes quite a difference to me as I run my van for my business and any extra MPG will always be welcome. I’m currently averaging 37.5mpg with a fully loaded van ‘round the doors’

Mine was a 2003 2.5 130 6 speed Caravelle and it got low to mid 40's. That was worked out too, not from the MFD. No DPF in it though and load was two adults and two young 'uns, so not fully loaded.

What kind of gains if you don’t mind me pestering? It makes quite a difference to me as I run my van for my business and any extra MPG will always be welcome. I’m currently averaging 37.5mpg with a fully loaded van ‘round the doors’

Some room for improvement there Sonic. I'm getting 42.8 fully camped out. I was getting 44 but since I've had 18" alloys fitted it's dropped down to 42.8.
I was intending to go for the remap but since REVO have withdrawn theirs, I'm a bit worried that the mapping from other companies may lead to similar issues. I'm sitting it out for now.

Well I visited Martin today. Worth every penny.

Had an unknown map on that was causing issues so after a month decided to pay Pendle a visit.

Very reassuring. Answers all questions.

Mega smooth. Very drivable. Graphs before and after

very happy.

Well I visited Martin today. Worth every penny.

Had an unknown map on that was causing issues so after a month decided to pay Pendle a visit.

Very reassuring. Answers all questions.

Mega smooth. Very drivable. Graphs before and after

very happy.

i'd be interested to see those graphs...i also have a 102 and will likely map it when its out of warranty later this year. Pendle seem to get great reviews!

Yep. Scary what other maps can do. Could feel it was bad.

Thankfully that was only on a few months and van hardly driven.

A cheap map could end up costing a fortune.

Do pendle tune the map while its on the rolling road or is it just a generic map?.

Rolling road
I still can't get my head around why every mechanically standard vehicle that goes into Pendle needs to have a custom calibration produced on a rolling road. If you get a custom calibration loaded into your van today, what happens when the pumps change to the summer blend of diesel next month?

Reactions: mmi
I still can't get my head around why every mechanically standard vehicle that goes into Pendle needs to have a custom calibration produced on a rolling road. If you get a custom calibration loaded into your van today, what happens when the pumps change to the summer blend of diesel next month?
All engines are different from the factory, its just getting it the best you can. Of course out the box maps work too just any subtleties to your particular van won't be captured...

All engines are different from the factory, its just getting it the best you can. Of course out the box maps work too just any subtleties to your particular van won't be captured...
We're in the 21st century, the parts in the engine are made to specification using capable machinery and processes, the differences are minuscule.

We're in the 21st century, the parts in the engine are made to specification using capable machinery and processes, the differences are minuscule.
Couldn't agree more. They are all still different though and they always will be.

A 20bhp difference between engines isn't surprising

more to the point you get a good idea of the state of the engine before the map goes in.

Just pasting in a generic map to en engine of unknown condition could work fine....it also could end badly!

Couldn't agree more. They are all still different though and they always will be.

A 20bhp difference between engines isn't surprising

After 10 years maybe. The power available is a function of combustion (peak pressure), engine geometry minus frictional losses. Two identical modern new engines with the same engine management / fuel delivery / air flow / charge pressure and produced by the same CNC machines with the same QC will not vary by any significant amount.
I used to work on large Diesel engines (marine), alignment of rotating parts such as the crankshaft can be compromised in large engines but even then the torque required to turn the engine hardly varies.

Reactions: mmi
Back