T6 TSI Hesitation / holding back off power after Pendle remap

That description above on the Revo is exactly as mine has been, I asked for the slightly tamer version low down to save the clutch. Cant fault it in the 15k miles so far.
At WOT it shifts and no power surges etc. Only place Id go otherwise is MRC for a custom map.

Hesitation might be from pendle tune hitting load limitation of Bosch MED17 ECU
Classic of a tune with too high light throttle load demand it will pull timing to come down to acceptable load

been through that with my tuner on my stage 3+
took a lot of road tuning with the guy in the van modifying map's to get it right
the partial load map's are the hardest to get right. Hours of road tuning if you want too be at the limit of what is achievable.
Or easy trick they down tune partial load. But then it feel very on/off from partial to full load

I have just had a pendle map and also have the hesitation. It has new coils and plugs fitted before the map. It's very annoying at 2k - 3k under light thottle and worse when towing the caravan.

I spoke to Martin at pendle and he said to wait untill the ecu learns and it will improve. My problem is I haven't got lot long to wait as I don't fancy towing again with this map.

Problem seems to be consistent across the pendle tsi’s so am thinking of switching to revo too. out of interest was it straightforward to remove the pendle map?

I've had the revo map today....

It's brilliant. Just as smooth as standard with power! It's very linear compared to pendle.

And absolutely no hesitation that I had with the pendle map. The pendle map felt faster, but not as smooth and driveable.

BTW you get 20% off if your van has been previously mapped.

I'm happy now

I've had the revo map today....

It's brilliant. Just as smooth as standard with power! It's very linear compared to pendle.

And absolutely no hesitation that I had with the pendle map. The pendle map felt faster, but not as smooth and driveable.

BTW you get 20% off if your van has been previously mapped.

I'm happy now
Where did you go for the REVO map?

Well @Dav-Tec worked their magic on my TSI last week, changing the map from Pendle to theirs and after some varied driving, I can report that the hesitation has gone. I have confirmed this by using manual mode and cruise control to fix the revs at points that I knew were very uneven before (80mph in 5th was a bad point – especially up a long, steep hill on the A590 in Cumbria). I have now driven slow country lanes, open A roads with overtaking, motorways and in town, loaded & empty, and have been unable to fault it. The engine feels as powerful as before (though less manic), so I am very happy. The claimed power may be less than Pendle‘s 304bhp but I can’t say that I’ve noticed (apparently the calculated power with the Pendle map was only 13bhp more anyway) so maybe that 304 figure was as optimistic as others have suggested.

Hi All,

Rather than hijack another thread, I thought best to start fresh here, as I know I am not alone in this issue.

I had a Pendle remap done by Outlaw Tuning in Wigan area, the guy was quite thorough. Scans/logs prior and after. Job done, about 3 hours.
I drove it with the agent in passenger seat, and, it drove great. Power increase was fantastic. And, still is.
Later that night, I had to collect the kids. And, I drove very light footed, as you would being sensible.

There was a noted power fluctuation.
Not a specific miss, but feels like boost can't make up its mind. It's pulling, then holding back.
At 20 percent and over throttle, beautiful. Pulls like a train. Zero misses or holding back.
10 to 15 percent throttle. 1500 to 3000 rpm, the feeling is best described as someone pulling the handbrake gently on and off.
This happens from 10 to 70 mph at light throttle.

I called the agent "Outlaw Tuning" that same night, and he promised to ask Pendle HQ what to do next.
I have called/texted since, and told it would be looked into.

No issues prior to remap.
Outlaw makes logs on stock van before even applying maps, these are sent to Pendle HQ for checking before work started.
60k miles on van.
Zero misfires recorded during the occurrences, which is EVERY time its driven.
Fuels tested - Regular and Super unleaded.

To remedy, I have tried the following:-

Bosch Coils and plugs.
Milltek boxed system - Cat back (I had this to fit already)
Forge recirculating valve on turbo - Made power much better, and actually caused the clutch to slip.
I had a Helix clutch and DMF fitted as slipping occurred after valve :)

All scans show no faults. No misfire counts. (via Carista - limited I know)
Stationary scans show zero faults in ANY system (VAGCOM)

I need some better weather and assistance to log the parameters with the laptop.

My gut says the timing is being pulled back in off boost light driving, the exhaust note changes a touch like retarding.
Maybe logging RPM v BOOST, and RPM v IGNITION etc.

The agent Outlaw Tuning has still not responded, and I am far from impressed. I went with the Pendle system as prior reading/research shows they are one of leading, along with REVO for these platforms.

I do not mind spending coin to fix things, but, I cannot aimlessly throw funds at an van with no assistance. I am not blaming the software either... YET.
Just to be clear, I will exhaust every avenue to try and rectify this, as it could be an out of spec sensor, or sticky valve. (the forge recirculation made a great difference to mid/top end).

As some history, I have extensive experience in standalone ECUs, and applying maps to cars written by software companies. Around 5 years worth. I know the way things work. I know the VAG can be funny with sensors/valves on certain maps. I have reflashed Fiesta's to Ferrari 612's back in the day. I have also had to fix sensors where they are out of spec, and cause maps to exaggerate problems (common on the golf 1.8t/Audi 1.8t etc.)

I will update and post some data here when I get onto it.

Hi Guys, Just an update on my Van (Pendle Remap) After a long four years I simply got used to the hesitation but it's always bugged me. Yesterday I decided to splash some cash and I went to have some mods done by the guys at Forge Motorsport. I had a new intercooler / Re-circulation Valve, New silicone pipes throughout, Turbo jacket.

Hesataion aside what a difference it made to the drive! - The pull from 70-100 is incredible. (obviously this was done on a private road :O)

The van is near perfect but I have decided after reading all the above posts to move to Revo. They offered me a 25% discount as it's already mapped with Pendle.

I have one question though. Has anyone in this thread had the DSG mapped with TVS on a TSI? I was looking at the Stage 2 which I believe @BognorMotors supplies.

Dave

Yes we can supply both and I can guarantee your drive back will be better than your drive down. The Revo map on the TSI is very smooth and coupled with the TVS software, you will have the ultimate package.

I've just looked at where you are based. I go to Portsmouth 3-4 times a year so i could sort this whilst im down! - I will be in touch!

Dave

@Dav-Tec remapped my DSG gearbox at the same time that they replaced the engine map and it has been a great improvement. I used to feel it necessary to select sport mode when approaching roundabouts and some other junctions to avoid the delay in pick-up should a gap appear in the traffic. No longer. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I used sport mode. I would think that the TVS DSG map does the same so, as Bognor say, you wont be disappointed.

"My Final Post on this thread"

So six weeks ago I removed the Pendle map and moved to Revo. I've done 1200 miles and I'm so happy with my van now.

So my closest dealer for REVO was Revo Direct at the performance centre in Daventry, The experience from start to finish was excellent.

1, They did a health check on the engine, Tyres, etc. They recorded the P0299 fault (Turbo Underboost) which has been there since the Pendle map was fitted. They took the ECU back to stock and updated it to the latest VW map. Once completed they they took the van out again and the errors cleared. They then asked me which fuel i would like the map for i.e Ron 95/98 or 99.

A new Revo map was installed and the final test log showed no errors.

6 weeks later my Carrisa Dongle shows Zero errors.

The drive is like stock but with more power / Torque but its not as Edgey as the Pendle. It's so so smooth. If you put the DSG into sport or manual it shifts just like the Pendle however in drive (daily driving) it's not so aggressive.

Highly noticeable improvements:
No jerking or hesitation
No DSG Burps when cold.
It no longer sounds like its Pinking when idling
Fuel consumption has improved. Get 30-40 miles extra per tank on average

The best thing is REVO will give you 25% off if your van is already mapped!

To end if I was going to advise on good mods for a stock TSI van. The best improvement i made came from changing the plugs and the coil packs.

The coil packs you need are here:

OEM Red 'R8' Ignition Coil Pack Set for 2.0T Vehicles

The recommended spark plugs are here:

NGK BKR7EIX (x4) Iridium X Spark Plug Set - 2.0 TSI (EA888 Gen1 / Gen2) and TFSI (EA113)

Next Step is to have the DSG Gearbox mapped by Bognor Motors.

So after 4 years of frustration. MY TSI is everything i always wanted.

I hope this helps others

Dave

Back