T6 TSI Hesitation / holding back off power after Pendle remap

Hi All,

Rather than hijack another thread, I thought best to start fresh here, as I know I am not alone in this issue.

I had a Pendle remap done by Outlaw Tuning in Wigan area, the guy was quite thorough. Scans/logs prior and after. Job done, about 3 hours.
I drove it with the agent in passenger seat, and, it drove great. Power increase was fantastic. And, still is.
Later that night, I had to collect the kids. And, I drove very light footed, as you would being sensible.

There was a noted power fluctuation.
Not a specific miss, but feels like boost can't make up its mind. It's pulling, then holding back.
At 20 percent and over throttle, beautiful. Pulls like a train. Zero misses or holding back.
10 to 15 percent throttle. 1500 to 3000 rpm, the feeling is best described as someone pulling the handbrake gently on and off.
This happens from 10 to 70 mph at light throttle.

I called the agent "Outlaw Tuning" that same night, and he promised to ask Pendle HQ what to do next.
I have called/texted since, and told it would be looked into.

No issues prior to remap.
Outlaw makes logs on stock van before even applying maps, these are sent to Pendle HQ for checking before work started.
60k miles on van.
Zero misfires recorded during the occurrences, which is EVERY time its driven.
Fuels tested - Regular and Super unleaded.

To remedy, I have tried the following:-

Bosch Coils and plugs.
Milltek boxed system - Cat back (I had this to fit already)
Forge recirculating valve on turbo - Made power much better, and actually caused the clutch to slip.
I had a Helix clutch and DMF fitted as slipping occurred after valve :)

All scans show no faults. No misfire counts. (via Carista - limited I know)
Stationary scans show zero faults in ANY system (VAGCOM)

I need some better weather and assistance to log the parameters with the laptop.

My gut says the timing is being pulled back in off boost light driving, the exhaust note changes a touch like retarding.
Maybe logging RPM v BOOST, and RPM v IGNITION etc.

The agent Outlaw Tuning has still not responded, and I am far from impressed. I went with the Pendle system as prior reading/research shows they are one of leading, along with REVO for these platforms.

I do not mind spending coin to fix things, but, I cannot aimlessly throw funds at an van with no assistance. I am not blaming the software either... YET.
Just to be clear, I will exhaust every avenue to try and rectify this, as it could be an out of spec sensor, or sticky valve. (the forge recirculation made a great difference to mid/top end).

As some history, I have extensive experience in standalone ECUs, and applying maps to cars written by software companies. Around 5 years worth. I know the way things work. I know the VAG can be funny with sensors/valves on certain maps. I have reflashed Fiesta's to Ferrari 612's back in the day. I have also had to fix sensors where they are out of spec, and cause maps to exaggerate problems (common on the golf 1.8t/Audi 1.8t etc.)

I will update and post some data here when I get onto it.

Ask the agent if he'd jump in the passenger seat again while you show him the issue.
I'm sure you have 30 days where you can ask for the map to be removed and be refunded so maybe if you suggest you are thinking of going down this road they will help.

Ask the agent if he'd jump in the passenger seat again while you show him the issue.
I'm sure you have 30 days where you can ask for the map to be removed and be refunded so maybe if you suggest you are thinking of going down this road they will help.
I will call/message once again. I did not know they did this :)

am in the same position - really interested on how this plays out. Anyone with a revo map have the same issues?

am in the same position - really interested on how this plays out. Anyone with a revo map have the same issues?
Not noticed anything with my REVO map and I'm driving it lightly at the minute, is it very obvious when it is doing it?

Not noticed anything with my REVO map and I'm driving it lightly at the minute, is it very obvious when it is doing it?
Yes, picture someone pulling the handbrake on and off to slow you down, while your pedal is constant, and driving off boost. Light to medium pedal.

You can feel the engine loose power, then gently surge back in, the revs don't race up or down by much.

I'll have to find a way of recording it.

Rang the agent again, no answer, he text back saying he was busy.

There seems to be a few remapped petrol vans suffering from this so it will be interesting to see if there is a common solution.

I have noticed mine do this but not as bad as some describe, it's definitely to the point that it bothers me and I'm more than happy with it but it's there. I'd also say I notice it more when I'm using cruise control.

I have noticed mine do this but not as bad as some describe, it's definitely to the point that it bothers me and I'm more than happy with it but it's there. I'd also say I notice it more when I'm using cruise control.
This is why I am searching for the answer. But, logic dictates

1. Bad sensor

or

2. Bad map

I would like to rule out option 1 totally. It could be a sensor which is out of spec, as not all T6 TSI with Pendle maps have mentioned this it.

Ok, it managed to stay dry long enough for me to make some logs.

The rest are here, and please forgive the length. I had to make this while being safe, so.. pull over, adjust, and then log etc.

Logs 2

Logs 1

The one of interest is here:-

Holding back - mad ignition retard on 3

1646242503858.png

Cylinder 3 is pulling back during light driving.

1646242841267.png

Feel free to access the links/data, you can add/remove the filters as needed.

Not sure about the TSI, so I may be way of the mark here, but the diesels have a sensor on the no3 glow plug. Mine had to be changed recently and was causing a similar issue to the issue you described in your 1st post.
It did throw up an error code though.
If the TSI has some other type of sensor on Cylinder 3 then that would definately be worth investigating.

I had a call with the agent, he was very helpful. He is forwarding data to Pendle HQ. See if they can pinpoint anything. Should hear shortly.

Failing that, it will have to be removed, and set to stock.

In meantime, I need to read up on knock sensors or whether such devices exist on these engines. These usually reside on the block/head near 2 and 3. I could be way off mark though.

Dodgy batch of fuel?
Had mine done around 18 months now, it's the same regardless of what grade or brand of fuel I've used, but like I said earlier I can live with the issue and it's very easy to ignore. I am interested as to whether things could be better though.

Had mine done around 18 months now, it's the same regardless of what grade or brand of fuel I've used, but like I said earlier I can live with the issue and it's very easy to ignore. I am interested as to whether things could be better though.
Forgot to add, mine is a manual. Not DSG.

Manual here with Revo Map on a 150, 12k miles since and not a single problem or fault so far. Interested to see what this is.

Back