I watched a couple of videos on Youtube the other week (can't find them now) and they looked at the OEM map and took the peak fuel values at higher revs as the 'safe' level then adapted them to the lower rev range. They think that by staying within these safe limits no damage will happen to the engine which may be true but as some of us are finding there's more to tuning these vans than just looking at the engine values. The effect of the increased torque at lower revs through the drivetrain seems to be a big factor on the 5 speed gearbox as one example.
If a mapper can find the safe levels for all the aspects of power delivery then that's what you should get. Playing it safer will just give a less noticable improvement which may fall below a customers expectation.

I've no experience of mapping but is there the option of an 'inbetween' map that takes a 102 to say 120 or 130? Is there a reason maps are so extreme?
I went through what I was using my van for , the dealer checked the wheel size tyres etc and it truly was custom as the next van was riding on 20's lowered and stripped out , mine come back at 150bhp just right when the gang and kit are loaded

Hi all I’m also thinking about remapping the 102 to 140/150 has anyone had any dealings with VIEZU remaps the guy doing its has untold amounts of excellent reviews.

Would be good tho know if anyone else has had this?

Hi all I’m also thinking about remapping the 102 to 140/150 has anyone had any dealings with VIEZU remaps the guy doing its has untold amounts of excellent reviews.

Would be good tho know if anyone else has had this?
Not used VIEZU but I had my van remapped for a week then had it taken off.
The map caused the flywheel to shake at 1500-2000rpm
Apparently this is common on the 5speed gear box due to not been able to cope with the high torque.

Take a look at this YouTube video from today. I’d happily drive 120 odd miles to have my van custom tuned by Pendle Performance on their dyno.

An excellent and informative video. The issues with the 5 speed 102 make total sense now. I'm gonna book mine in for April all being well following the MOT and oil change. Looking forwards to that extra torque.

Hi
Bought a 2016 startline panel van, 40000 Miles on it manual box 102 bhp
Had a camper conversion done and a remap

Problem is now it rattles or vibrates At 1800 rpm, only for a short period

I dnt know if the problem was there before before the remap or not, it could be a machanical problem which has been under lying before I bought the van

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
Andy
Hi did you get the problem sorted? As I've just had mine mapped and sounds like it's doing the same as yours.

Yeah sorted
Swopped to a REVO tune
But now 10000 mile it’s started again, all I can say is that the damage could of been caused by the first unbranded tune

Hi, new member, just bought a 102 ps T28 T6, after having Transits for years, the disastrous wet belt design finally sent me packing over here.
Have to say, very underwhelmed with a 102s power and looking to get it remapped, not greedy, just slightly more than astmatic snail would be good, 140? Can anyone recommend someone to do this in Berkshire area? Read the threads on here with some stating fuel economy not great after rempping a 102, thought it was supposed to improve it?

Read the threads on here with some stating fuel economy not great after rempping a 102, thought it was supposed to improve it?
As @JOG says not a good idea.
As for improving fuel economy, as a commercial vehicle I would imaging that VW would have squeezed every MPG out of it as supplied. There is tight competition for boxes on wheels when it comes to fleet running costs.

Ah ok, looks like id better lose some weight then, thanks for the replys, yes 5 speed manual. Doing alot less distance from home than when i had a 170 custom, so not the end of the world, but if the oprion was there to remap,id have gone for it.
The T6 had good added options though, so wasnt that much difference specwise to the custom.....just slower.
5 speed box is a wekness if you remap.....or just a known weakness?

Last edited:
If you do decide to remap a lot of people recommend pendle and that’s up to about 165 bhp. But go in eyes open if there are any known weaknesses

Thanks mate, but id rather stay slow safe and hassle free, if it was straightforward with no problems itd be a no brainer, is the 5 speed box known for problems even without remapping?

Thanks mate, but id rather stay slow safe and hassle free, if it was straightforward with no problems itd be a no brainer, is the 5 speed box known for problems even without remapping?
Not that I'm aware of, but from what I've read it doesn't stand up well to excessive torque - hence be careful if remapping.

Ok, mate thank you.
Have a convo with @Dav-Tec and search for 102 remap threads and his reviews. Myself and a few on here have used his services for bespoke remap on a 5 speed 102, focused on driveability than chasing bhp. Been really happy with the results and I was really in two minds after hearing problems with Revo and Pendle remaps.

Last edited:
Back