T6 TSI Hesitation / holding back off power after Pendle remap

I have a thought... on the DSG, and using light acceleration/medium speed, is there an ignition cut/retard to allow the DSG to change?

This the only thing I can think of to get a mad ignition retard in those areas. On a slight acceleration or constant, the DSG would change up a gear, and take the load off the transmission before shifting.? grabbing at straws now. Its a theory.

I'd say it's far more subtle than the ignition being cut, I know very little of these things and I'm probably a mile out, but to me it feels more like the map leans out the fueling to then have the O² sensor(s) pick up on this and ask for a richer mixture only for the map to lean the fueling out again this is then repeated over and over for as long as a steady throttle is held.

I'd say it's far more subtle than the ignition being cut, I know very little of these things and I'm probably a mile out, but to me it feels more like the map leans out the fueling to then have the O² sensor(s) pick up on this and ask for a richer mixture only for the map to lean the fueling out again this is then repeated over and over for as long as a steady throttle is held.
Its an interesting thought. I did log o2 readings but I did not save it correctly. So, nothing to go off. Nothing popped out the data at the roadside.

Now, thinking back after the clutch was done, battery was off for 2 days. When I drove it over initial miles, at one point I went from a 30 to 40 zone, with walls either side. I heard pinking for a second as I gently accelerated.

Just to add again, on power, it's flawless. It's amazing. No miss fires, pulls clean in 4th etc.
I did log a power run.. But again, messed up saving :(

Live and learn.

Another update :-

I had a call with Martin at Pendle. Went through some ideas to try. His thoughts are a Knock sensor. Could be going out of spec, or just failing. This fits in with it supposed location between 3/4 cylinders.

The cost of this sensor isn't bad. Its on order.. Now, if only I could find the damn thing in the engine bay lol.

Has anyone ever changed one on the TSI?

Quick Google for a golf gti says front of engine behind inlet manifold. I'd assume same but worth checking engine codes.

Change of plan, remapping comes off tomorrow. Its going back to stock map. Agent refunding.
Once it's stock map, I'll log every thing again.
Same tests. Compare graphs.
I'll give it a few weeks then make a decision.

glad the installer is being decent about it… out of interest, has this fixed the issue?

glad the installer is being decent about it… out of interest, has this fixed the issue?
Hi, yes. Van was re logged with the agent.
I'm appreciative of the time he took to come out and reset.
On the relogging it showed wierd timing retards in off boost, 5 to 25 percent. Stable and acceleration.
Van now reset to stock. Drives perfect. I'll be re logging after a few days to ensure 3 and 4 behave.

Update time.

The van was driven stock map for a week, zero hesitation, holding back. Beautiful to drive, although missing the brute power.

2 Weeks ago today, I had it REVO mapped, to stage 1 and regular unleaded. They offered the same thing regards 28 days change mind. All I can say is, I'm keeping it as is. :)

Where the Pendle was IMHO very good with mid range brute power, and pickup, the REVO feels smoother, refined, and more linear.

The power feels the same top end WOT (wide open throttle), and mid pedal. Lower down, nice and smooth. Zero hesitation, or fluctuations. On a run today, 32mpg on the motorway 70mph, my average urban mileage is 23 to 24mpg.

Most importantly, all my problems have gone.! Zero issues, on either fuel choice.

I was quoted 175£ upgrade to stage 2 when I get the FMIC and Downpipe etc.

The SPS switch is 115£ odd, and will store the Regular unleaded/Super unleaded maps. This saves visits to change maps.

So, consider the topic closed, and the problem solved.

Update time.

The van was driven stock map for a week, zero hesitation, holding back. Beautiful to drive, although missing the brute power.

2 Weeks ago today, I had it REVO mapped, to stage 1 and regular unleaded. They offered the same thing regards 28 days change mind. All I can say is, I'm keeping it as is. :)

Where the Pendle was IMHO very good with mid range brute power, and pickup, the REVO feels smoother, refined, and more linear.

The power feels the same top end WOT (wide open throttle), and mid pedal. Lower down, nice and smooth. Zero hesitation, or fluctuations. On a run today, 32mpg on the motorway 70mph, my average urban mileage is 23 to 24mpg.

Most importantly, all my problems have gone.! Zero issues, on either fuel choice.

I was quoted 175£ upgrade to stage 2 when I get the FMIC and Downpipe etc.

The SPS switch is 115£ odd, and will store the Regular unleaded/Super unleaded maps. This saves visits to change maps.

So, consider the topic closed, and the problem solved.
Thank you for coming back with an update. It certainly sounds like an issue with the Pendle map - in your case at least.
It would be good to get a response from Pendle Performance themselves, but understandably the numbers of TSI vans is pretty low, and any diagnosis potentially time consuming, so I am not holding my breath.
However, I will consider changing mine for a REVO map and would also like to talk to any installers in the Manchester (or more accurately Pendle or Ribble Valley) area.

Thank you for coming back with an update. It certainly sounds like an issue with the Pendle map - in your case at least.
It would be good to get a response from Pendle Performance themselves, but understandably the numbers of TSI vans is pretty low, and any diagnosis potentially time consuming, so I am not holding my breath.
However, I will consider changing mine for a REVO map and would also like to talk to any installers in the Manchester (or more accurately Pendle or Ribble Valley) area.
I had spoken to Pendle direct, and it was possible to take my van to him for assessment. But, with his waiting list, I couldn't wait. So I chose to try a revo. The offer was however there if I needed.

As I've said in these posts, I cannot point fingers at maps/mappers. Sometimes some cars respond differently to generics. It's the chance you take.

In my case, it did solve my issues. And, it cost more than the Pendle, which is a slight down side.

Plenty of Revo dealers available, mine was done by Riverside Racing. 450 plus vat, dyno runs before and after 50£ extra if you chose to, and its not booked out. Revo website has dealers nearby, I think one in Preston.

As others have said. Fantastic read.

All the issues throughout have been a carbon copy for me.

I still have a Pendle re-map and like you mentioned when WOT it flys! its just the daily drive that annoys me. the hesitation.

Recently i read a thread on FB from a Pendle tuner called Terry and he fitted Audi R8 Coil packs and NKG Idrium plugs to a customer's Van. This resulted in a smoother drive and a slight gain in BHP.

I contacted Awesome GTI and got the parts on order.

I can confirm this massively improved my issue (by approx 75%) and it's so much nicer to drive. Just make sure they are genuine not eBay specials!

My Van turned 3 last week so im free to spend some cash :O) - I really want to get to the bottom of this. I love the van but the hesitation between 1500-2500 is soul destroying as subtle as it is....

As others have said. Fantastic read.

All the issues throughout have been a carbon copy for me.

I still have a Pendle re-map and like you mentioned when WOT it flys! its just the daily drive that annoys me. the hesitation.

Recently i read a thread on FB from a Pendle tuner called Terry and he fitted Audi R8 Coil packs and NKG Idrium plugs to a customer's Van. This resulted in a smoother drive and a slight gain in BHP.

I contacted Awesome GTI and got the parts on order.

I can confirm this massively improved my issue (by approx 75%) and it's so much nicer to drive. Just make sure they are genuine not eBay specials!

My Van turned 3 last week so im free to spend some cash :O) - I really want to get to the bottom of this. I love the van but the hesitation between 1500-2500 is soul destroying as subtle as it is....
Interestingly, different plugs was another item that Pendle frowned upon (insofar as running with their tune). They insisted I stick with OEM plugs, yes from VW, and less than 10k miles old. I never even had a chance to finish the sentence saying I had bought equivalent NGK Platinum Laser plugs (now sitting in the garage) though, it has to be said, they didn’t make any difference.

Which of the R8 coil packs from Awesome GTI did you go for?

Hi Shaun, Here are the links to what I purchased.

The coilpacks you need are here:

OEM Red 'R8' Ignition Coil Pack Set for 2.0T Vehicles

And the recommended spark plugs here:

NGK BKR7EIX (x4) Iridium X Spark Plug Set - 2.0 TSI (EA888 Gen1 / Gen2) and TFSI (EA113)
Thanks Dave.

These arrived on Monday, and I have just fitted them and done a quick 20 minute test drive. As far as I can tell, in those 20 minutes, my issue has gone. Certainly in the rpm range where I found it most noticeable (3-4K rpm). I need to do a few more miles of general driving to be sure, but I could not detect any hesitation. Maybe in certain circumstances with a loaded van I might, so I’m not shouting Eureka just yet, but this is a very positive development. Oh, and that was running LPG as well.

Thanks again.

Hey dave, shaun, i have a t6 tsi stage 2, will those OEM Red r8 Coil packs fit? just confirming for sure :)

Back