Had mine fitted by Skipton Car Radio as well.
Can I ask, is it a big job for SCR to fit these shark fin aerials. Does the fin need mounting front or rear on the roof. I see the kit retails at £150. Is it a good upgrade. What sort of cost am I looking at fitted. Cheers.

Always had issues with connection to unit. I always assumed app connect wasn't present as it was a van originally. Dab has never been perfect, how do I easily remove passenger cover to check.
Also can app connect be added or have I to upgrade head unit, only really miss android auto so any cheap options about to upgrade too.
Trendline panel Van unit fitted

Dab has never been perfect, how do I easily remove passenger cover to check.
It’s straightforward enough, you just have to be patient to ensure you don’t break the mirror-cover clips. Or you can check the rear of the h/u for the DAB plug / check the door connections behind the door-card are good. Click on the tags for threads relating to it.

Also can app connect be added or have I to upgrade head unit, only really miss android auto so any cheap options about to upgrade too.
App-Connect has can be authorised by third-parties remotely nowadays. With Apple, you have to upgrade your USB port, but I’m not sure about Android.

My 2016 standard VW DAB radio is utter garbage, it frequently drops the channel and then retunes after a 30 second gap, I mentioned it to the dealer who said nothing wrong with it, I tried to make a warranty claim and was ignored by VW Droitwich van centre. Same attitude to the non fit for purpose door seals that are rusting again.
Its a piece of junk and will in time be replaced.

Hi,
I've got a converted t6(t28 2015 camper king conversion) and it has an awful digital radio signal. Signal keeps periodically dropping (drops out for 30s every 120s on average) even when parked in a built up area. Totally different experience to my 2016 Ford C-max which never drops despite being driven in the same areas. I've only owned the van for the last six months so not sure if this is something I should expect from a T6 or if they butchered the aerial fitting the pop top. Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks!

Hi,
I've got a converted t6(t28 2015 camper king conversion) and it has an awful digital radio signal. Signal keeps periodically dropping (drops out for 30s every 120s on average) even when parked in a built up area. Totally different experience to my 2016 Ford C-max which never drops despite being driven in the same areas. I've only owned the van for the last six months so not sure if this is something I should expect from a T6 or if they butchered the aerial fitting the pop top. Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks!
Your DAB antenna should be in the mirror housing, so it’s unlikely that pop-top fitting is causing havoc.
Has your mirror taken a hit?
DAB in these vans can be poor at the best of times - just have a search on here and you’ll see.

The aerial is in the door mirror, so shouldn't have been affected by the pop top. There aren't the best as I'm sure others will concur. None standard electrical equipment can interfere with the DAB signal too. LED lights, USB chargers etc, maybe even leisure electrics.

Ah, thanks for that, I would have never have guessed. I thought it would have been above the rear view mirror on the exterior. I don't even want to think if it's leisure electrics, although when it was happening yesterday the whole leisure system should have been off.

After a bit of help, please. Have changed over the drls on my t6 which has H4 headlamps. The new lamps P21 LEDS are causing some stations on the dab radio to drop out, but not all of them. I spoke to the company who supplied the lamps and they sent a replacement set but they do the same. I have also tried the magnetic cable surrounds with no luck. As anybody any more ideas please?

After a bit of help, please. Have changed over the drls on my t6 which has H4 headlamps. The new lamps P21 LEDS are causing some stations on the dab radio to drop out, but not all of them. I spoke to the company who supplied the lamps and they sent a replacement set but they do the same. I have also tried the magnetic cable surrounds with no luck. As anybody any more ideas please?
I had the same when I put LEDs in the DRL, it would drop signal asi reversed out of the garage for some reason. If the headlights were on (DRLs off) no issue. Swapped back to normal DRL bulbs and all ok. I’ve since swapped to aftermarket lights so I can see where I’m going and Ilkley Car Audio fitted a shark fin aerial which improved DAB massively

Hi all, my dab connection is really patchy. I tried taking out the radio and checking all the aerial connections and when I put the radio back in I noticed that if the ignition is off I get a great signal but once the engine is running the signal comes and goes.
Any ideas?

Only thing I've change electrical recently is some Thq V2 headlights. Could they be blocking the signal?
Quite possibly yes. The LED DRL could be having an impact. If you’ve got LED headlight bulbs in, that could have an impact too.

Quite possibly yes. The LED DRL could be having an impact. If you’ve got LED headlight bulbs in, that could have an impact too.
No led apart from the running lights. Tried turning I the radio and then only the lights and that made no difference. Weird as I've han no problem for 2 years before now

Some 12V USB adapters can also be a problem. If you've got any, try unplugging them and see if things improve.

Only thing I've change electrical recently is some Thq V2 headlights. Could they be blocking the signal?
If you run some specific LEDs, they’re electrically ‘noisy’ and that can wipe out the DAB signal. Similar to the alternator whine or interference from the coil you used to get on old car radios.

….and some USB adaptors do the same.

Last edited:
So if it's the headlights is there anything I can do. Crap headlights or crap dab reception. Any ideas?

Back