Apple USB socket for App-Connect

I don’t understand what you mean by the ‘wrong kind’ of USB. Surely a USB is a USB? I just use a bog standard Apple USB cable plugged into the socket in the shelf above the glove box and Car Play works perfectly

Surely a USB is a USB?

You would think, wouldn’t you? Apparently not, and per the linked thread, mine is the ‘wrong’ kind of USB.

Anyway, I thought I can’t be the only one in this boat so thought I would see if anyone else is solving the same problem. I’m ordering two regardless, to get the free shipping (in the US). The extra one I’ll sell on eBay if no one here needs it. If anyone does need one, let me know here or by DM by tomorrow COB and I’ll increase the order.

I think the apple one has a green socket on the back and the non apple ones are a different colour, have seen white and purple ones there could be more

I think the apple one has a green socket on the back and the non apple ones are a different colour, have seen white and purple ones there could be more
Thanks,
I was worried it may involve taking the dash apart. :/

Long story short, I got so fed up with this I’ve just ignored it for the last year.

However, next week we’re driving up to Scotland for an isolated two weeks in a cottage, and I’d really like to be able to use my Spotify premium account on the way there. So I thought I’d have another go.
This is where things stand.

On the left is the original socket. Note the pink plug. On the right is the new socket. Note the green plug, so in theory the right one for Apple devices. However, the lead from the van is still pink.

Phone does not connect. Leading me to believe that either the lead to the radio also needs to change, or that there is a radio modification needed to get it to recognise the Apple device.

I have been able to find no one else that seems to have this problem, but I can’t be the only one.

Anyone have any ideas
58C89AB0-EC81-4800-82BF-DF2C93EE6861.jpeg

Just to add, Carplay works fine for Android devices, but my son won’t give up his phone for the cause.

So I know AppConnect is working.

Someone came to me with a similar scenario, VW had swapped the usb port and activated carplay but apple devices wouldnt connect

I connected VCDS and found the setting was wrong for the USB setup; VW had activated the function but not changed the coding of the headunit to allow it to work...
its a long shot but possible yours is the same??

Someone came to me with a similar scenario, VW had swapped the usb port and activated carplay but apple devices wouldnt connect

I connected VCDS and found the setting was wrong for the USB setup, VW had activated the function but not changed the coding of the headunit to allow it to work, its a long shot but possible yours is the same ??

That's what I'm wondering. Is the coding required documented somewhere?

Long story short, I got so fed up with this I’ve just ignored it for the last year.

However, next week we’re driving up to Scotland for an isolated two weeks in a cottage, and I’d really like to be able to use my Spotify premium account on the way there. So I thought I’d have another go.
This is where things stand.....
Evening,
If you just want to use Spotify can you not stream via Bluetooth and use voice control on your phone?
Works for me albeit with an Android phone.
I know Apple has a habit of being awkward on purpose.....

Yes, I saw that somewhere and have checked that it does work, so that will probably suffice for the trip next week.

Long term, having paid to get the bloody App Connect enabled, I'd like to have the full Carplay functionality. In this case, I'm not sure it's Apple that's being the problem. Looking around on the Ross-Tech site, it looks like Pauly is on the right track. Just need to find the right adaptation that has the settings for this head unit now.

Back