Hi all I had poor radio reception Dab And FM. LOW AND BEHOLD IT WAS THE USB MULTI ADAPTOR. I bought two new ones from screwfix. Make is Ring dual USB adaptor . Part code 725HP one for me and my VW Caddy van. No issues any more. Nearly had a shark fin upgrade. But found out via youtube!

Sometimes cheap LED bulbs do the same. They create high frequency electrical noise and it ruins DAB reception.

After blaming VW for ages for my complete lack of DAB reception for a lot of my time on the road in the van and posting about it on here, I think it was Dellmassive who pointed the finger at 12V USB adapters as a potential issue. I then did a few experiments by waiting until DAB reception cut out and then disconnecting and reconnecting my phone or whatever else was charging from the 'dash top' socket. Lo and behold, once I unplugged the cable, reception often came back (but not all of the time!). Further testing with other USB adapters indicated that some were better than others. I also Googled for RF interference and came across a video where the chap tested a load of different adapters and measured the noise / interference generated by each. He concluded that some little Ravpower hobbies are about the least worse (if you know what I mean!) so I recently ordered a couple from Amazon which haven't arrived yet - I'll report back as and when I have a chance to test them.

That said, I'm still not convinced that VW are completely blameless in this issue and still believe that their crappy mirror-based aerials are at the root of the problem - maybe the T6.1 will tell a different story. I'm also conscious of the fact that between us, my wife and I have now had a fair few different cars with DAB fitted (inc. others 2 from other VAG companies) none of which have ever given us a problem except on a 50 odd metre stretch of road a few miles from us which goes past a big power installation when all reception disappears without fail.

I've spent many an hour in an EMC test chamber where the invisible noise pixies can be visualised....whilst dull as dishwater to most, I find 'electrical noise' an interesting topic. My area of expertise is more industrial so normally talking in far larger numbers..but it can be related to this.

What we have here is devices (USB adaptors, aftermarket bulbs etc) on the 12v circuits which are taking power but not cleanly. LEDs for example use a driver circuit (contained within the bulb assembly) and power is 'pulsed' to the LED itself as a means of regulating it. you can sometimes see this on video where the light appears to flicker. The naked eye can not normally see this, however other electrical devices within the vehicle can see the electrical disturbance. Basically the aftermarket devices have high conductive emissions.

There are 2 ways to mitigate this...VW would argue the aftermarket devices should be supping the power more cleanly, the after manufamarket device manufacturers build things to a budget however and any additional smoothing circuits would add cost...so they don't! I'm not sure of automotive EMC standards, however typically devices have to be build to a certain standard to gain EN approval to make them suitable for purchase by us, the consumer. I'm not convinced of a lot of devices imported from China/sold online meet these standards assuming they exist.

The second way of getting around this is to have sensitive devices to be less susceptible to electrical noise...basically apply filters on incoming feeds to clean away any noise on the circuits. Sensitive devices will do this (ECUs etc) To prevent them suffering any damage, arguably VW could do a little more on the radio design which would prevent this problem...but you can be fairly sure the VW equipment will be tested to meet the required standards (exhaust emissions excluded! :p).

There is a second part to this is radiated emissions and susceptibility. Basically how much noise can radiate from the device non conductively...like a radio transmitter. This would be noted if moving the suspected noisy device further from susceptible equipment (the radio) helped reduce the interference. Again both parties can help prevent this, by good shielding and design practices...however like before this can add cost.

With all this extra time on my hands I’m looking at replacing the rubbish VW DAB aerial with a shark fin aerial. My question is which route should I take to get to the head unit? Dropping of the head lining is straight forward enough, just not sure on the last bit.

Mines just done this. Set off all ok DAB showing station. Pressed to change station and went quiet.

now it’s just Showing A5
Song name is there though so I take its getting a signal :/

many one any ideas ? Just a weak signal?

As Highwaycollective says, I would start by doing simple stuff like disconnecting any chargers etc. I was plagued by DAB reception problems for a long time and only seemed to receive anything for about 15% of my time in the van. In the end, I replaced a 12V twin USB charger in the dash top and things improved greatly, Mind you, the signal still drops out a lot more than it should and I still think the design of the mirror antennae is pee poor but........

hi guys my DAB radio loses signal a lot like 70% of a journey, its been into Bridgwater VW who are useless to stay the least, they have changed the Ariel in the wing mirror, changed the head until (Discover) and now changed the wiring in the door and still the same, now there saying because i have after market head lights ect (additional wiring) this is what’s causing interference with the DAB and causing it to lose signal.

Any thoughts would be very welcome as i like my music!
I’m a bit late to the party here but I’m also in Bridgwater and my T6 is shocking for DAB but the wife’s Golf is spot on. Did you ever get to the bottom of it?

more info here:

I use one of these and it works all over Dorset and Hampshire. Give it a go and you can see if it is worth fitting one in the roof.

012E7563-FFB4-4423-ACE2-20149F6E4CA8.png012E7563-FFB4-4423-ACE2-20149F6E4CA8.png

Back