Overloading A Van - T28, T30, T32 Question

Deaston

T6 Pro
I get that a T28 can gave a gross weight of 2.8 tonnes, but is that simply the specified weight, or the legal weight?

If I load it to 3 tonnes, am I breaking the law or just risking breaking my suspension?

I currently have a T28 T5.1 (why are they both 'T' numbers??) and sometimes I'm sure it's overloaded, but I'm reluctant to get a T30/32 next as I've heard the ride is much harder and MOTs can't be done at a normal MOT station.

I'd be more worried about overloading the tyres. On top of that in the event of an accident your insurance would be void. If you get stopped by VOSA and you're over weight you can be subject to a fine and or penalty points.

We have a T32... 3.2tonne. Max weight.

The axle weights are on the plate in the engine bay.

And the T just stands for Transporter afaik.

The T32 has stiffer suspension than a T28(to hold up the weight), so it will feel harsher when empty.

I've been stopped and fined in the passed for being overweight by VOSA and police..... got marched to a weigh station and had to remove stuff from the back to get within weight before they let us leave......had to go back later to collect the other stuff with an empty van.

I get that a T28 can gave a gross weight of 2.8 tonnes, but is that simply the specified weight, or the legal weight?

If I load it to 3 tonnes, am I breaking the law or just risking breaking my suspension?

I currently have a T28 T5.1 (why are they both 'T' numbers??) and sometimes I'm sure it's overloaded, but I'm reluctant to get a T30/32 next as I've heard the ride is much harder and MOTs can't be done at a normal MOT station.
Pretty sure the T30 is fine, it's just certain types of T32 that would need a different class of MOT

Pretty sure the T30 is fine, it's just certain types of T32 that would need a different class of MOT

Is the ride of the T30 as bad as the T32? I love the comfort of my T28 so am reluctant to risk a T30 if the ride is worse.

Is the ride of the T30 as bad as the T32? I love the comfort of my T28 so am reluctant to risk a T30 if the ride is worse.
Never driven a T32 but my T5 was a T30 and my T6 is a T28. The ride of the T30 was better than my T28 when it was stock, but I now have B14s which are better than either of them. I'm sure it's only the T32 that has the heavy duty suspension, can a T32 owner confirm?

I have a t32 lowered 50 mm o. H&r springs. Drives just as nice as my t28 lowered on 40mm h&r springs.

Reactions: ntc
No interest in lowering things. But if anyone has any experience and can offer a true comparison of the T28 vs the T30 I'd be interested.

Reactions: ntc
my t32 swb rides much worse than my previous t30 lwb. the swb also rides worse than my t5.1 t32 lwb.

No interest in lowering things. But if anyone has any experience and can offer a true comparison of the T28 vs the T30 I'd be interested.
As I said, I had both and the T30 ride was no worse than the T28

Before I had put my T6 T28 campervan on a weigh bridge (and realised that I probably didn't have a problem!), I was looking into this issue and saw a reference elsewhere on this forum to a firm called SV Tech who are apparently one of the leading experts in the country on the subject. I spoke with them and was told that it would be easy to get my T28 effectively upgraded to a T30 without any modifications and that all I would have to do was fill in a form / questionnaire about it on their website, submit it along with a current weight ticket (from an approved weigh bridge) and pay them nearly £400. In return, they would send me a new vehicle plate with revised weight limits that would be accepted by the DVLA. Apparently, although it would remain a T28 in name only, once the V5 was amended, it would be legally able to take a T30 equivalent load (ie. an extra 200Kg). I'm assuming that an engineer of some kind assessed the application and authorised the issue of the uprated plate / sticker but I've no idea what else they did for the £400 as I didn't pursue it any further. It does however seem like a lot of money for the work but there might be more to it than that.

Last edited:
Never driven a T32 but my T5 was a T30 and my T6 is a T28. The ride of the T30 was better than my T28 when it was stock, but I now have B14s which are better than either of them. I'm sure it's only the T32 that has the heavy duty suspension, can a T32 owner confirm?
We have a 2018 T32 and when we bought it we thought that the ride would be much harsher than the Caddy maxi we had but we were pleasantly surprised that the ride is not bad at all, The van is running on standard suspension from new and we are wanting to put a lowered set on to lower the height as that will make it easier for us old foggees to get in (disabled) but need to find someone in the Newcastle upon tyne area to do this for me as I cannot do it myself now, Ex garage owner myself which frustrates me cos I cannot do it now

Back