Camper van weight

Thanks @Ayjay & @Ads_Essex that's quite reassuring. Maybe I should stop asking the wife to weigh every pair of shoes/flipflops she's wanting to take. I won't though, it's too entertaining :cool: I'll also take the weigh bridge print out that showed 2,570kg just in case, that might deter any chance of getting weighed again if pulled over.

We always weigh the van before every trip (have weigh bridge in the village here) and keep the ticket in the glove box. Stopped once in 10 years, but old habits die hard......

99% of the time we are around 2750 kg in our T28 and that's with 2 x bikes on the rear. We do not carry any water in the tank until we arrive at the location if it's a camp site or use the 10lt water container we carry if parking up for the night.. Carrying 70lts of water is 70 kg!!!! Which seams silly to do.

We need to quote this thread the next time someone says that a T28 is perfectly fine for a camper conversion.
#minimumt30

Reactions: Bav
From what I have read, SVTech have up-plated vans without any modifications being undertaken, which to me means that your suspension and wheels/tyres can run higher weights than those they are plated at.
Once up-plated, the wheels/ tyres will need to be T30-rated. At least, they will if you want to remain legal (which, presumably, is why you bothered up-plating in the first place).

Last edited:
We always weigh the van before every trip (have weigh bridge in the village here) and keep the ticket in the glove box. Stopped once in 10 years, but old habits die hard......

99% of the time we are around 2750 kg in our T28 and that's with 2 x bikes on the rear. We do not carry any water in the tank until we arrive at the location if it's a camp site or use the 10lt water container we carry if parking up for the night.. Carrying 70lts of water is 70 kg!!!! Which seams silly to do.

Agree re water. Ours is probably 50% full from the last trip. Won't be filling it up until we reach the campsite. For driving around France a fair bit of the weight will be out in the awning then anyway.

We need to quote this thread the next time someone says that a T28 is perfectly fine for a camper conversion.
#minimumt30

Many converters only use T28 so I think for the majority of cases they will be fine if no bike racks etc are required. It'll definitely be fine for us once the teenager gets bored on holidaying with his parents. That's a weight saving that can be replaced with wine right there!

For families of four with a dog and bike rack, then yes, a T30 may be more practical. But for a couple, I think a T28 is just fine.

Once up-plated, the wheels/ tyres will need to be T30-rated. At least, they will if you want to remain legal (which, presumably, is why you bothered up-rating in the first place).
If I remember my conversation with SV Tech correctly from when mine was assessed for up-plating, they would not have certificated it had I not already had the correct wheels and tyres (ie. a delivery mileage set taken from a new T30).

Basically just sent them the TUV certs of the Eibach Springs, and the tyre load ratings.

They could have given it 3300kg, but I preferrred to keep T32 axle weights for simplicity.
So no brake updates? I guess I could have gone for that too then

We never even discussed 3200Kg when they uprated my T28 to 3000Kg and I didn't think about it at the time. That said (and as previously posted) I now know that even fully loaded for a long european trip including bikes, awnings and 2 tubs of human lard we still have plenty of extra capacity for any duty free stuff that we might want to bring home so it doesn't really matter.

Once up-plated, the wheels/ tyres will need to be T30-rated. At least, they will if you want to remain legal (which, presumably, is why you bothered up-plating in the first place).
When you send details off they take all the tyre details before its up rated.

Reactions: Bav
Basically just sent them the TUV certs of the Eibach Springs, and the tyre load ratings.

They could have given it 3300kg, but I preferrred to keep T32 axle weights for simplicity.
So have you changed the wheels and tyres from the standard T28, or did they certify with original wheels?

I've got 20's on it
Thanks. Looking at standard VW build spec, the T28 and T30 are delivered with identical Clayton wheels, so an up-plating to T30 should be a simple paper exercise with no changes needed. How much do SVtech charge?

So I have a T28 6.1 converted to a camper. Changed the wheels from the standard VW Claytons to 18 inch Wolfrace. No other changes to suspension or anything else.

Can this be uprated weight wise without any other modifications?

So I have a T28 6.1 converted to a camper. Changed the wheels from the standard VW Claytons to 18 inch Wolfrace. No other changes to suspension or anything else.

Can this be uprated weight wise without any other modifications?
It'll come down to the rating of the new wheels. Do you know them?

Back