T32 load rating 101 legal?

Drummerajc

VIP Member
Hi I have a T6 T32 which has had 18” alloys on since I bought it. At the last MOT all four tyres were replaced due to cracking. The tyres fitted and passed by ATS were load rated 101 (825Kg). I’m now in the process of uprating the GVW of my van with SV Tech (great reviews from everyone that’s used them). They have told me that my current tyres are actually illegal as although all four added together rate above 3.2tonnes, added in pairs they do not exceed the weight limits of each axle on my VIN plate (1710kg and 1720kg)

From my extremely limited knowledge (googling) of MOT test law they seem correct so how did it pass?

ATS claim they fitted like for like so it’s no issue but if they fitted tires that were unsuitable for my vehicle no matter what was on it when they received it surely there is an issue there?

From memory I think you must have 103 or more for a T32.
Yeah that seems right. I’m not against an understanding MOT tester, but ATS have sold me unfit tyres and their excuse is that 103 or higher are not made for the wheels I have.

A T28 needs 100 rated tyres as a legal minimum requirement. T30 is 101, T32 is 103.
I’ve said this before to people on this forum who talk about fitting tyres that are not rated for their vehicles because ‘they look better’ or ‘they fit’, you leave yourself open to a whole world of hurt if you are involved in an accident or someone in authority checks up on them.
Are they by chance 225/40 front and 235/40 rear?

Reactions: Bav
Yeah that seems right. I’m not against an understanding MOT tester, but ATS have sold me unfit tyres and their excuse is that 103 or higher are not made for the wheels I have.
No 103-rated tyres in 18 inch? I'll call that out as BS. Morel likely they didn't have any in stock.

103’s for 18’s Dunlop,Bridgestone, Michelin, Yokohama, Kuhna, Good Year and others available, just do a search on black circles many options available

Hi I have a T6 T32 which has had 18” alloys on since I bought it. At the last MOT all four tyres were replaced due to cracking. The tyres fitted and passed by ATS were load rated 101 (825Kg). I’m now in the process of uprating the GVW of my van with SV Tech (great reviews from everyone that’s used them). They have told me that my current tyres are actually illegal as although all four added together rate above 3.2tonnes, added in pairs they do not exceed the weight limits of each axle on my VIN plate (1710kg and 1720kg)

From my extremely limited knowledge (googling) of MOT test law they seem correct so how did it pass?

ATS claim they fitted like for like so it’s no issue but if they fitted tires that were unsuitable for my vehicle no matter what was on it when they received it surely there is an issue there?
A above, the tyres they sold you are not right.
But also I’m puzzled as it’s already a T32 what you are uprating its GVW to?

You can check your axle weight limits on the plate in the engine bay.

What they telling sounds right to me for a T32...

We run on our T32 :

OEM sportline 18" rims.

255/45-ZR18-103Y-XL

Load rating isn’t part of the class 4 mot, it is on class 7. Some T32’s get mot’d as class 4 and some as 7, depends on the mot tester.

My T32 has been tested as class 4 twice.

And as above 103 for a T32.

Load rating isn’t part of the class 4 mot, it is on class 7. Some T32’s get mot’d as class 4 and some as 7, depends on the mot tester.

My T32 has been tested as class 4 twice.

And as above 103 for a T32.
AFAIK, class 4 or class 7 MOT depends on how the T32 "presents". If it presents as a camper, then it will (should) get a class 4. However, whichever class is used for its first MOT, that will be the one used for all subsequent MOTs.

A above, the tyres they sold you are not right.
But also I’m puzzled as it’s already a T32 what you are uprating its GVW to?
Thanks for the info! I’m trying to get it closer to 3.4 or 3.5t. It’s a heavier base van (kombi and 4 motion) with a high spec conversion on top. With three of us and a big dog we’re legal but with an extra passenger I think we’re right on the limit. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I think that would put you firmly in the class 7 MOT category in which case load ratings of wheels and tyres become part of the MOT also
I you go above 3.2 you will prob need a rating above 103 so keep that in mind if you are going arguing with ATS as any replacement tyres will prob be useless to you ?

If its been converted to a camper you'll likely have been tested as class 4 so as @Insert Coin points out the load rating of tyres won't have been picked up on the MOT. Also, I wouldn't say it was in the remit of a tyre fitter to be checking individual axle weights if you've just asked for like for like replacement tyres. To sum up, i dont think ATS have anything to answer for, as ultimately its the user of the vehicle who is responsible for ensuring it's roadworthiness.

Back