Multiple Engine Management Faults

Just over a thousand miles since they replaced the EGR valve on top of all the other replacement parts and still good.
Hopefully they have eventually found what's causing these issues and no one else will have to go through this bull shit.
@Twoguns, here's hoping all is now well but I would hope to see 3000 miles without incident before I started to breathe easily. You know that the whole Forum is behind you on this and we hope that @G11hws and any others with this issue get theirs sorted too. Certainly your name has become synonymous with EGR issues and recovery trucks. You deserve a big thank you and good will gestures from VW UK for your forbearance as I know that I would have been taking them down a different path because they had more than enough chances to find a fix.

Last edited:
@Chrisfraser05, almost 5000 miles since we last saw the eml. Only thing we haven't used is the - 5mph cruise function.

I mentioned to the dealer what we have witnessed and his reaction was I was talking out of my arse, so I imagine Vw won't be interested in investigating if the cruise is at fault. Our fix is just not to use the -5mph function but it appears other fixes are hopefully working as well.

But still a great van !!!!!

Don't worry fellas, I will try it when work calms a down a bit and not so reliant on it working!!!! As a note I only have the Carista to check mine and since the last reset no faults have appeared and I check it weekly.

this is reassuring to hear as I'm waiting to get mine (150dsg).

Did anything ever come of the Cruise +-5mph thing?
My +5 didn't trigger a fault and I'm constantly using it now without a problem, (gone and screwed myself now).

I'm no expert but know a hell of a lot more about the emissions system of this van since my problem started and my Technical brain just can't see how increasing speed by 5mph would effect the NOX level which would trigger an alarm,
surly it's no worse than flooring it.

My +5 didn't trigger a fault and I'm constantly using it now without a problem, (gone and screwed myself now).

I'm no expert but know a hell of a lot more about the emissions system of this van since my problem started and my Technical brain just can't see how increasing speed by 5mph would effect the NOX level which would trigger an alarm,
surly it's no worse than flooring it.

Firstly.. As you've gone and done it, I was tempted to post..

Ssshhhhhh!

But didn't, as didn't want to get the blame for any lights :whistle::thumbsup:

Think if you decrease speed using the 5 increment, the nox would be from unburnt, and so trigger?

But Anyways, here's to hoping the damned light stays away.. :thumbsup:

Firstly.. As you've gone and done it, I was tempted to post..

Ssshhhhhh!

But didn't, as didn't want to get the blame for any lights :whistle::thumbsup:

Think if you decrease speed using the 5 increment, the nox would be from unburnt, and so trigger?

But Anyways, here's to hoping the damned light stays away.. :thumbsup:
Im not saying your wrong or anybody for that matter ref this but I really can't see it. In my previous post I was thinking of increasing speed but surely it's the same when you decrease. What's the difference between using the +/-5mph to decrease speed than taking your foot straight off the loud pedal?

Last edited:
Further to my above post, if the +/- 5mph was to cause these issues then I'd be confident that more people would have this issue as I'm sure a lot of people would be using the button. Where as, if there was a bad batch of EGR or NOx Sensors, wiring looms etc then the unlucky few would be the ones to suffer.
Either way it's something I'm sure VW don't even know or won't admit to. I'm just crossing everything that it stays fine for at least the next 3000 to 5000miles.

Im not saying your wrong or anybody for that matter ref this but I really can't see it. In my previous post I was thinking of increasing speed but surely it's the same when you decrease. What's the difference between using the +/-5mph to decrease speed than taking your foot straight off the loud peddle?
like you said Twoguns.....what's the difference between using the loud pedal or pressing a button???? I've only used that +/-5mph button on a longish drive down from Northumberland to Wetherby..........used it multiple times on that trip with no problems. Haven't had occasion to use it since. I suspect you're right about there being some rogue components out there. I'm at 5800 miles now......no issues. I do use Shell optimax diesel though.....could that burn a little cleaner and cause fewer emissions problems.....or maybe I'm just a sucker for the hype? Whatever, I'm glad things have settled down for you mate.......I'd have been serving a 5 stretch now! :thumbsup:

For clarity it was never increasing in +5 on the cruise that caused the light to come on, it was decreasing in -5 from 70 to 50 in one go.

I have only had the software update and exhaust sensor change but the light came on within a few hundred miles of getting it back.

The only way the light has stayed off since ownership (10,000 mile) is to not use the the cruise-5. During the first 5000 miles we had Vw assist reset twice and used Carista ourselves but the light would always come back every two to three hundred miles.

It makes no sense to me other than when operating the -5 it might be playing havoc with the mapping software. Please note it does not happen on the 204 dsg and that is used with + /-5 all the time and in the same place as the 150 faulted.

It could be the sensor change and software fault have cured it and the light coming back on was bad luck, won't know till I press that button though!!!!

For clarity it was never increasing in +5 on the cruise that caused the light to come on, it was decreasing in -5 from 70 to 50 in one go.

I have only had the software update and exhaust sensor change but the light came on within a few hundred miles of getting it back.

The only way the light has stayed off since ownership (10,000 mile) is to not use the the cruise-5. During the first 5000 miles we had Vw assist reset twice and used Carista ourselves but the light would always come back every two to three hundred miles.

It makes no sense to me other than when operating the -5 it might be playing havoc with the mapping software. Please note it does not happen on the 204 dsg and that is used with + /-5 all the time and in the same place as the 150 faulted.

It could be the sensor change and software fault have cured it and the light coming back on was bad luck, won't know till I press that button though!!!!
Wow.....ok, very specific! Thanks mate......how bloody odd??? Is the 150 a manual or dsg? :thumbsup:

I wouldn't believe it would happen because of the cruise, maybe we are clutching at straws, but having seen what twoguns has been through I don't have a lot of faith in Vw to help.

It is a dsg and I can only see it being a software issue as I imagine that the majority of components are used across the range whether in a manual or dsg, so the only real differences can be the software and mapping of diffferent drivetrains.

If nothing else hopefully others experiencing the same troubles can try not using cruise to see if it helps them and saves them a trip to the dealer :)

I wouldn't believe it would happen because of the cruise, maybe we are clutching at straws, but having seen what twoguns has been through I don't have a lot of faith in Vw to help.

It is a dsg and I can only see it being a software issue as I imagine that the majority of components are used across the range whether in a manual or dsg, so the only real differences can be the software and mapping of diffferent drivetrains.

If nothing else hopefully others experiencing the same troubles can try not using cruise to see if it helps them and saves them a trip to the dealer :)
Both act on the fuelling map.. Throttle is fly by wire, cruise is wired..mit might all help someone to figure it all out in the end. Sometimes a seemingly irrelevant comment leads to the solution....

@PukkaT6, performance is the same as always, but the first couple of journeys after the light the mpg dropped a little bit. I never overly worried about the light as it was only yellow and drove it a few times without resetting the light and it will go out on its own after so many engine starts anyway.

Just remember that VW dealers are selling you a tool to earn money in their eyes and as long as they give you another vehicle to carry on with they are doing a good job. If your buying one of their commercial vehicles to use as a car you might get a little upset with the way they treat you as a customer. It might be different if you buy a camper from them but vans are treated as a tool so fleet rules apply. i have probably ranted before that they should sell them through car dealerships if they are to be used for leisure.

whatever you do just enjoy it!!!!!!;)

Back