Various faults in Engine ECU - T6 Caravelle

FairyCakes230

VIP Member
Good morning lovely T6 folks, I was really hoping my initial posts would be about how brilliant my Caravelle is and how wonderful all the bits and pieces are that I'm adding to the van. However... I'm after some help from you clever engineering types.

I've had the van 2 months, and the other day had to call out the RAC for the second time when it wouldn't start. After checking various bits and pieces, the RAC chap said it looked like there was a common Transporter fault at play, namely water ingress in the engine ECU.

I've looked through the forums for advice and so as not to duplicate a post, but this issue doesn't seem to be mentioned. Previously even seemingly niche problems have loads of brilliant information on here that has helped me fix early niggles with the garage (like the serviced DSG playing silly with the go pedal.)

So it seems strange to be a common Transporter fault. My major issue is the driveability of the car before it goes to the garage. RAC chap said take it straight in, but VW commercial have said if there's no warning lights in the car then it's fine and safe to drive until it goes in for its diagnostic. In amongst all the diagnostic codes in the RAC report is a reference to the airbag. I don't want to be driving me and certainly not the little one if the airbag's not powered, but this is me as a nervous layman, and possibly massively overreacting.

I thought I'd ask you engineering wizards what you think. Extra puzzle for when you've finished the Wordle. Report and diagnostic from the RAC call out copied below.

Thanks for an awesome site, I love reading the stuff on here, it's brilliant.

James

RAC:
"various faults in engine ecu requires further investigation workshop enviroment asap.
A temporary repair / assessment has been made to consider onward travel. If any warning systems, unusual noises or symptoms become evident please pull over as soon as it is safe to do so and call for further assistance."
Diagnostic Codes
RAC DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM
System Type: CXEB - TDI-CR
Name: CXEB - TDI-CR
DTC: P085100,Starter motor lock control: short circuit to earth
DTC: U05A300,Invalid Data Received From Reductant Quality Module DTC: U02A200,Lost Communication with Reductant Quality Module DTC: P056200,System Voltage Low
DTC: P305400,Starter; blocked or electrical fault
DTC: P064100,Sensor Reference Voltage "A" Circuit/Open
DTC: P065100,Sensor Reference Voltage B Circuit/Open
DTC: P069700,Sensor Reference Voltage C Circuit / Open
DTC: P06A300,Sensor Reference Voltage "D" Circuit/Open
DTC: P06A600,Sensor reference voltage A circuit
System Type: AIRBAG - VW 10 Name: AIRBAG - VW 10
DTC: B13BCF2,Multiple collision brake
System Type: CLIMATE CONTROL - CLIMATRONIC Name: CLIMATE CONTROL - CLIMATRONIC
DTC: B10AA31,Rear control/indication unit, no signal
System Type: BATTERY REGULATION - DIAGNOSE Name: BATTERY REGULATION - DIAGNOSE
DTC: 02256,Quiescent currentDSC_0461 Large.jpeg

What RAC did to start the van again?
ECU water ingress? BS.
At first sight looks like battery issue. Check the voltage, anything below 12,2 when stationary will throw any sort of error on the Caravelle ( same happend to me on my last 2 caravelle). Check the voltage with engine running (just to exclude alternator) you should read 14,5. Charge the battery overnight, put it back in the car.
Drive it as usual .

Reactions: DXX
Thanks for the quick reply @Crazymind I really appreciate it. RAC's battery tests included below. One of the numbers is bang on the 12.2 you mention. I'll stick the charger on it. Thank you!

Battery Test ResultServiceable Recharge
Reserve Capacity
Battery Manufacturer
Good Reserve
VARTA
Rating Of Battery Tested
800EN

Batteries are rated according to theirAmp Hours and Cold Cranking Amps.Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is the powerthey need to turn the engine oversufficiently to get it started in coldconditions.
Battery Tested Rating
558EN

This is the rating that the battery hasperformed at during the test.

Rated AMP Hour Of Battery Tested

Battery Temperature

20.6°C

Batteries are rated according to theirAmp Hours and Cold Cranking Amps.Amp Hours is how long the battery willlast if it's not re-charged.

Initial Battery Voltage (Before Test)

12.19Volts

The battery tester will capture and recordthe initial battery voltage and takes thisinto account when calculating the testresult.

Time Test Completed

01/08/2023 14:31

Battery Drain Test Results

1st Battery Drain Test Voltage

12.2Volts

Voltage when the tester is connected. (Ifapplicable)

1st Battery Drain Test Current Load

0Amps

This checks for external drains on thebattery before the test. (If applicable)

Back