Multiple Engine Management Faults

Twoguns

T6 Guru
Is anyone else having multiple engine management faults?

I've had the van for five months now since new and have had four alarms now. First one was end of December which the dealer said they could't find anything wrong so cleared the alarm. Next alarm was end of January, this time AA guy cleared alarm and said it was probably a false alarm as it cleared and didn't come back. Third was last Thursday again end of Month (Feb) which cleared over night whilst parked up. Fourth alarm today as I drove into work.

I'm getting pretty P***** off with it to be honestest as it takes up my time having to sort out dealer bookings or have roadside assist out only for them to say they couldn't find anything. I've now got to the point like today I just continued in and ignored it which I know I shouldn't but its a case of "Cry Wolf".
Ill be straight on the phone to my local dealer tomorrow to tell them they need to sort this.

My theory is it could be a mileage/emissions related problem as i'm doing pretty much exactly the same millage/speeds and journeys every month so maybe something is building up to a point which triggers a senor or I've got a Friday afternoon, last day before factory shut down shift van.

Last edited:
@Twoguns , not good that one mate.. Have you got VCDS? Or Carista? And do you know what the fault is this time? The last one we tried to look up was a manufacturer only code to do with fuel/emissions.... Get the to email them factory if it's the same again, and log an issue with customer service about their lack of customer service! Don't get angry.. Get even! The fact is that under trading standards the vehicle is not fit for purpose (this is my view anyway) this is due to it faulting more times than it should, by displaying the engine management light, and so is not reliable!
Have a think about last, and if your happy.. Throw that one at VW, but good luck, and keep us all informed.

@Twoguns , not good that one mate.. Have you got VCDS? Or Carista? And do you know what the fault is this time? The last one we tried to look up was a manufacturer only code to do with fuel/emissions.... Get the to email them factory if it's the same again, and log an issue with customer service about their lack of customer service! Don't get angry.. Get even! The fact is that under trading standards the vehicle is not fit for purpose (this is my view anyway) this is due to it faulting more times than it should, by displaying the engine management light, and so is not reliable!
Have a think about last, and if your happy.. Throw that one at VW, but good luck, and keep us all informed.
I dont have VCDS Or Carista but will be getting one soon I think as it could be very useful with this dog of a van.
I don't know what the third one was as it cleared over night and this one came up today and i'm in work now on a 12hr shift. I'm not going to ring road side assist today as I beleave you get the AA out side of normal Monday to Friday hours and I had no confidence in the last AA man so will leave it until I can get it into the dealer (only slightly more confident).

I've fallen out of love with this van for a while now and think I've possably made a big mistake but maybe time will heal. I've got the Highline heater blower fault still on going. Electric lumbar fuse blows, four of these alarms and poor fuel economy compared to publish figures (I know you never get these figures but generally you get within a couple but not 15MPG or more less doing mainly dual carriageways and motorways at 65MPH in quite road conditions).

I'd love to give it back but I've spent 10K having it converted so I'm pretty much stuck with it now, unfortunately.

Does anyone know if the engine management light clears by its self does the fault code remain stored somewhere, so that the dealer can have a look at it at a later date even if the alarm light is no longer on?

just call vw assist out butt ask for a vw technician or they will send the AA out AA hasnt got the proper software to tell them whats wrong with the vehicle
Error codes will be stored in the module
i had vw assist out twice last week other the coil light coming on and then the engine management light coming on turned out to be a chafed wire in a wireing loom going to earth on the engine block
Hope you get everything sorted

I'm pretty sure if the light has just gone out the next time it starts the fault is still logged . If it's been cleared by say the AA/roadside guy then that's it. Their is a counter as well so it will self delete after so many cycles without a re-occurrence .

Dose sound like you've had more than your share of faults. Mines a year old and I haven't had a single fault, I can't even find a real minor issue. The annoying thing is I've got to sell it ( re-structuring company )and re order another just like it !!!

VCDS is well worth it - a good mechanic friend makes sure all his customers get their vehicles checked just before the warranty runs out- some of the faults won't light up a warning . Reckons one chap had over 6k worth of warranty work done on an Audi that the customer was completely unaware was needed.

just call vw assist out butt ask for a vw technician or they will send the AA out AA hasnt got the proper software to tell them whats wrong with the vehicle
Error codes will be stored in the module
i had vw assist out twice last week other the coil light coming on and then the engine management light coming on turned out to be a chafed wire in a wireing loom going to earth on the engine block
Hope you get everything sorted
Just rung VW assist and as I thought, out side of normal working hours (for my area at least) there is no VW technician just AA support so I have got them to send a VW technician tomorrow between 0900 and 1100. Hopefully they will have the correct software etc to at least narrow it down or hopefully fix it if something simple but I expect they will tell me to book it into a dealer.
I had forgot (as I'm becoming numb to this vans problems) that I already have an appointment with the dealer this coming Friday about two other minor faults to look at, Tailgate rattles so needs adjusting and the middle seat belt of the rear bench wont extend and is locked in the fully retracted position.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure if the light has just gone out the next time it starts the fault is still logged . If it's been cleared by say the AA/roadside guy then that's it. Their is a counter as well so it will self delete after so many cycles without a re-occurrence .

Dose sound like you've had more than your share of faults. Mines a year old and I haven't had a single fault, I can't even find a real minor issue. The annoying thing is I've got to sell it ( re-structuring company )and re order another just like it !!!

VCDS is well worth it - a good mechanic friend makes sure all his customers get their vehicles checked just before the warranty runs out- some of the faults won't light up a warning . Reckons one chap had over 6k worth of warranty work done on an Audi that the customer was completely unaware was needed.
Cheers pal, I was assuming it would have some kind of register but at the sometime wouldn't of been surprised if it didn't. Ill keep you all informed if your interested.

Faults codes are logged until cleared with software although most will clear themselves after several weeks without issue, it depends on the level of fault but 100-200 clean ignition cycles is the amount needed to start pushing them out of memory

VW tech has come and gone and he seemed pretty good and knew what he was talking about. The fault that the van shows up is PZ0EE00, (to do with the adblue system). He thinks it’s either the adblue pump or more than likely the adblue its self.

The current alarm has been active since 18/01/17 so looks like it’s a single fault that’s causing these Engine Management alarms and is more than likely the AdBlue that I put in from a Texaco service pump, as I think that was around 18/01/17.

He’s not 100% sure but thinks the AdBlue that the lorries put in is different so maybe that stuff I put in was lorry stuff which if that’s true is total bull shit as it’s not very clear as its all called Adblue.

So he’s arranged for a low loader to pick up the van and take it to Swansea. They will also arrange for me to have a replacement car/van dropped off at work for me.

I’ll keep you informed.

Hope you get it sorted. I've been using Adblue from a major service station that is located with the lorry pumps and haven't had issues so far

I thought that so long as it had the correct ISO number (22241), then it was all supposed to be the same stuff.

There is a sensor in the bottom of the tank that measures the concentration of the adblue, so maybe it has been contaminated?

All adblue is the same, it's made by one company then distributed out. So very much doubt it would be that unless it was out of date!
Hope you get it sorted.

Not got an adblue myself, but for what it's worth... I wouldn't fill from a pump anywhere, as the system needs to be spotless.. If the garage runs the tanks low then you could get condensation which will dilute the contents, also could put crap into the mix. I would favour a home fill from a sealed plastic container..

AdBlue: What diesel vehicle owners need to know

My two pence worth.

It's at the dealers today so hopefully they will find something and not just clear the alarm and say nothing found. I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

The dealer has just called and reports the AdBlue injector is the problem so a replacement has been ordered and should be fittted tomorrow. They say this is about the third one they have had go wrong in 7 months so hopefully it's not too common a problem.
I'll keep you up to date if it turns out they are talking s*** and it continues to play up.

Thought this might be the problem, as heard the pumps are sometimes problematic, this is why I'd advise filling from a clean container of adblue.. They are cheapest from your local motor factors and not halfords, this way you know how it is filled, and the quality. Suggest reading the link I've posted above, as any contamination can bugger the system it would seem.

Back