Multiple Engine Management Faults

As long as you have times and dates and your time all added up, then just make a claim in the small claims court, they won't defend and you will be awarded what you have asked for.

@Keeff, arrow to the right of okay button on left side of steering to +/- 5mph cruise on euro 6.

@Twoguns, i feel your pain!!!!!! Take a week away from dealing with them and enjoy the van, maybe ask if they can credit you the £600 cash or make the payment towards your finance for a couple of months and use the money to get the towbar fitted elsewhere. Life is to short to bugger around with VWCS and solicitors, hopefully the fix is permanent and you can put this sorry saga behind you and enjoy using the vehicle for what you initially decided, try and get back the excitement you had for the vehicle and the adventures you had planned for you and the family. :)

It's the labour that they are saying that costs them the most. Like you said I'm sure they could do it for a lot less considering what I've been through and you would of hoped that such a big company would have the customer focus to settle this once and for all on a relatively cheap part.
Especially when you can get a mobile fitter to install a Westfalia removable for £500.

@Keeff, arrow to the right of okay button on left side of steering to +/- 5mph cruise on euro 6.

@Twoguns, i feel your pain!!!!!! Take a week away from dealing with them and enjoy the van, maybe ask if they can credit you the £600 cash or make the payment towards your finance for a couple of months and use the money to get the towbar fitted elsewhere. Life is to short to bugger around with VWCS and solicitors, hopefully the fix is permanent and you can put this sorry saga behind you and enjoy using the vehicle for what you initially decided, try and get back the excitement you had for the vehicle and the adventures you had planned for you and the family. :)
I asked for the cash which they point blank refused and said no chance. To be honest I've lost the energy in fighting them so your probably right.

I asked for the cash which they point blank refused and said no chance. To be honest I've lost the energy in fighting them so your probably right.
Don't let the b******s grind you down @Twoguns just because they are many and you are on your own (so they think because we are in your corner) they are counting on you giving up. Now is the time to be bloody minded and not let them get away with the c**p that they have been giving you. It costs nothing to talk to the Financial Ombudsman's office and explain what has happened and what is being offered and seek their opinion as to whether or not VW's offer is anywhere near reasonable; I don't believe it is. Gather your facts with dates, work out the percentage of time that the van has been unavailable to you against length of ownership, or do it in number of days, and phone FO's office.

Last edited:
The problem is going to be, even if the number of days is as high as 30 (which I suspect it won't be, unless it really does all add up!) they'll say that £600 is more than a single months finance charge, so you're already getting a good deal...

As long as you have times and dates and your time all added up, then just make a claim in the small claims court, they won't defend and you will be awarded what you have asked for.
I think this is a good plan, can't see them defending so would be forced to settle

Who did you use? As I think this is the option I'm going to use as I don't want to give VW any more money.
I can't remember, I just googled Westfalia Detachable Towbar mobile fitter. I think they were based in leicester, and were happy to go to the dealership in Coventry to fit it.
You need to add together all the days they had it and calculate list earnings etc. Small claims court is a good idea.

The problem is going to be, even if the number of days is as high as 30 (which I suspect it won't be, unless it really does all add up!) they'll say that £600 is more than a single months finance charge, so you're already getting a good deal...

What about depreciation, loss of use and emotional trauma. That would form part of my argument.

However my view point is this, however stressful its been its hopefully resolved and sometimes the best option is to simply move on.

I'd do the above ref working out days etc..

However.. I'd then give the ombudsman a call.. My folks had a big grief with a car accident that wasn't their fault, however they wanted to fix a car that was under 2wks old, long story short.. They shafted he insurer through the ombudsman, got it sorted.. New car and a HUGE storage bill sorted.. I had fun as well.. Anyway, point is your car is hopefully sorted.. The ombudsman does the rest for you for nix, and will probably make them give you the extra warranty for naught to help you regain faith in the vehicle... Ask yourself this.. What harm will it cause or grief will it give you to talk to someone who is there to listen and advise and to champion your cause for you... They CANT ignore an ombudsmans decision.. If they do its market and financial suicide for them!

Just opened a case with the Financial Ombudsman. Just need to fill in the forms and provide all the info I can along with all documents from VW that I've had. Good job I have kept a recorded log of all events.

Let this be a lesson to everyone with these van and dealing with VW, record everything as they don't seem to be a very responsible customer focused company, maybe they are to big for us little fry.
As ever I'll keep you up to date on this.

You would be surprised. Just added it all up and it's been 60 days total without the van between having it at the end of September last year to 16/05/17. If your picky you could take 10 days off while I was on holidays but they were using that time to test drive it the 400miles that it usually faulted within instead of handing it back for me to drive only to return it a couple of days later when it faulted again.

Funny, when we had the T5 Cali we had a problem with the roof, the bellow got caught and bent the roof. Short outcome was it got replaced but never looked right. It went back about four times getting roof and struts replaced. Then the last time we moaned to service and said how about some goodies, they almost threw them at us in an effort to keep us happy. Not sure what I'd say now

Just opened a case with the Financial Ombudsman. Just need to fill in the forms and provide all the info I can along with all documents from VW that I've had. Good job I have kept a recorded log of all events.

Let this be a lesson to everyone with these van and dealing with VW, record everything as they don't seem to be a very responsible customer focused company, maybe they are to big for us little fry.
As ever I'll keep you up to date on this.
Good man @Twoguns, keep after them :thumbsup:. I had an idea that you might be well over 30 days, but quite surprising how it adds up. Supply as much information as you can to the FO in a letter documenting events in chronological order and also referencing documents that you should copy and enclose with your letter. State VW's offer, your view of the offer, and what you want of VW by way of settlement because without the FO cannot negotiate or assess if your requirements are reasonable in the circumstances that you reported in your letter.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you bought the van new id ask for a replacement van - may aswell go for it. If they think you are that dissatisfied with the product then all of a sudden a replacement tow bar is a bargain if it means the matter is closed.

You would be surprised. Just added it all up and it's been 60 days total without the van between having it at the end of September last year to 16/05/17. If your picky you could take 10 days off while I was on holidays but they were using that time to test drive it the 400miles that it usually faulted within instead of handing it back for me to drive only to return it a couple of days later when it faulted again.
Don't forget the "price" of those 400 miles in terms of fuel, road fund licence, tyres, wear and tear etc, whilst they were using your van as the 'test bed' for trying to figure out a fix for all the other 150dsg vans suffering the same fate.

I think that for now we should let @Twoguns get some peace and get on with dealing with the FO.. This is the course that is the most sensible, and a tow bar is small fry.. The van has been defective goods until now, and he has been made to suffer whilst vw has used him as a test bed for the solution.. This in my view means that as VW did not know the solution, but instead used his vehicle as a test bed.. He should be compensated for the days and mileage from the first fault, as this is where they started their development from.. Up until this apparent fix, so his time driving it he has in effect been acting as an unpaid test driver..

He should be compensated for the days and mileage from the first fault, as this is where they started their development from.. Up until this apparent fix, so his time driving it he has in effect been acting as an unpaid test driver..

I agree with this; instead of saying "60 days usage lost" it should be a case of "since x until y, a period of 150 days, unable to use van to full potential due to recurring issue, fear of repeated failure, risk of damage to vehicle each time warning light was on/van got towed, etc. And of those 150 days vehicle was in garage for 60 days"

I have just read this thread, cant believe I never seen it before!
Anyway my 150 Euro 6 Manual (which has just passed 10k) keeps throwing up the engine management light, both the engine shaped one and the pigs tail one, however they do not always come on at the same time. When the light comes on its usually under acceleration and the van then shudders, sometimes the light goes off as soon as you restart the engine and its fine, next time it can stay on for hours. There is also sometimes a lack of power and it keeps shuddering, like kangaroo petrol almost! But other times there is no loss of power at all. This has been happening since around March, there doesnt seem to be any pattern as to when it comes on either.

I thought it may have something to do with the DTUK chip that I have hence why I havent been in contact with VW yet, however I am thinking it may be a VW fault after reading this thread.

Back