VW Sat Nav Map Update - How We Did It -

Unfortunately Bundle 1 is now too big for T6 OEM 16GB SD-card.
Is there a way around this or do we have to reload different bundles for different European journeys? Is a bigger card available, no doubt at a VW price? Or can we add say both Bundle 2 and 4 together?
Martin

You can install Toolbox, patch DM firmware from there and then use any 32GB SD card.

• Love
Reactions: mmi
I am not familiar with Toolbox could you please explain it and/or give a link as it sounds perfect?
This is the link to the Toolbox.
This package is common for PQ and MQB platforms with Technisat unit(Discover Media included).

Installation process is shown here. Although Golf but T6 is exactly the same. Additionally there are some extra steps depending on DM software version. RTFM ;)

This video demonstrates available options, settings and tweaks.

And this one shows how to patch the DM for any SD usage.

This is the link to the Toolbox.
This package is common for PQ and MQB platforms with Technisat unit(Discover Media included).

Installation process is shown here. Although Golf but T6 is exactly the same. Additionally there are some extra steps depending on DM software version. RTFM ;)

This video demonstrates available options, settings and tweaks.

And this one shows how to patch the DM for any SD usage.

Wow…….too scary for an old git like me, I would be guaranteed to break something but big thanks for the info

Does VW sell Bundle 1 on a 32GB card? If not, what is the purpose of them producing Bundle 1?

The bundled areas are bizarre to say the least, bundle 2 includes Spain/france/UK & Iceland, but no Italy ffs. Bundle 6 includes western Europe AND Iceland, but no Spain or Portugal, very strange.

The bundled areas are bizarre to say the least, bundle 2 includes Spain/france/UK & Iceland, but no Italy ffs. Bundle 6 includes western Europe AND Iceland, but no Spain or Portugal, very strange.
Actually quite logical - each bundle consists of smaller geographical areas/packages, and Iceland is in a package with Great Britain and Ireland - thus those three can't be separated. Also Iceland doesn't have that many roads/streets to deserve a package of it's own - like Germany does alone. Also Spain and Portugal combined have their own dedicated internal package.

Actually quite logical - each bundle consists of smaller geographical areas/packages, and Iceland is in a package with Great Britain and Ireland - thus those three can't be separated. Also Iceland doesn't have that many roads/streets to deserve a package of it's own - like Germany does alone. Also Spain and Portugal combined have their own dedicated internal package.
Hmmm! not convinced, why would they exclude Spain & Portugal from "Europe" as in bundles 5&6? Anyway, it's academic, I've patched my unit as shown by @Robert in the thread above & it works a treat, so all's good.

Map software update - How We Did it -

This is a joint effort and this post has info from a few threads pulled into one source for future reference, including direct links to maps.

credits: @mmi @Dellmassive @Pauly @Nigel W @Skyliner33 @BeePee @Hinsley, @Repete

PDF guide here : https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/dam/jcr:a5bab2de-2bdf-4946-b26f-105c576c9047/Discover Media PQ Gen.2 April_2018_ EN.pdf

latest Maps version link : Volkswagen Map & Softwareupdates

Current update version is 11/7/19 (EU1_1410_v12)

VW provide a link for the unzip software here if you PC wont open it already : 7-Zip

DAB/Radio icons : http://infotainment.phonostar.de/images/vwag/eur/GBR.zip

UK Speed Camera Warnings - All Cameras, No Mobile Cameras

link to original thread:Map Update

Were going to use the main satnav for this example,

• Discover Media navigation system

The Discover Media radio navigation system is also marketed under the name Discover Media Plus in conjunction with certain equipment packages. One-shot destination entry The navigation system can be operated by voice input. The destination is entered in a coherent spoken phrase instead of sequential requests for the address components.

503-png.28826

There are a few ways of updating the Map software, the unit itself can update via a wifi dongle or mobile hotspot. the other two methods involve removing the SDcard from the van and updating indoors (manual download and copy over to SDcard or the PC software "Volkswagen Discovercare").

Methods for updating Navigation software.

Discover Navigation and Discover Navigation Pro touch-screen navigation/radio systems include free lifetime navigation software updates. The latest map updates for your navigation system will get you new roads, itineraries and the latest POIs in Europe.

There are a couple of ways you can update your navigation system.

1. Download the full set of data in one go, or choose to download segments from the Volkswagen International Infotainment website. Please note some of the content on this website may not be UK specific, please contact your local Volkswagen Retailer for further information. Full instructions on how to perform the update are also available on the website.

The latest available map packs are available for the following devices;

• Discover Pro
  • Discover Media
Updated Map packs are usually made available during the periods May/June and November/December each year.

Lets look at the second option for now.... Manual download.

you can just download on PC/MAC and update your existing Nav card with a PC/Mac and SDcard reader.

Follow the VW guides.... How to use and update your Sat Nav system | Volkswagen UK

latest version link : Volkswagen Map & Softwareupdates

screen-shot-2018-12-31-at-09-44-36-png.34374

Current update version is 10/1/18 (as of 03/01/2019)

Here is the version information of new 13.3 Gbyte package European Countries – Bundle 1 (on top left on VW site) - first three lines. On the headunit NAV->Settings->Version Information
vw_nav_map_2018-07-10-2018-10-01-jpg.34373

Possibly checking the date of main directory on your SD card using a computer) will tell the same:
Maps-directory of old package has date of 19-Jan-2018.
The new maps-directory has date 10-July-2018 (although on the website the package has date stamp of 1-Oct-2018).

Once downloaded the 13Gb zip file you need to unzip it. . . . .

VW provide a link for the unzip software here if you PC wont open it already : 7-Zip

NOTE FOR MAC USERS:
Just to confirm, suffit expander will not unzip this file. However I downloaded "The Unarchiver" and this has successfully unzipped the file.
Im now in the process of backing up the maps folder from the VW card and will then copy the extracted new maps folder. Hopefully this should work now.
@Dellmassive great instructional thread, Im sure that will help loads of people. Maybe you could add for mac users to extract with The Unarchiver...credit: @Skyliner33

And a PDF guide here : https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/dam/jcr:a5bab2de-2bdf-4946-b26f-105c576c9047/Discover Media PQ Gen.2 April_2018_ EN.pdf

Once unzipped on computer, its then copied to SD card. Just a note - copied maps-directory (+subdirectories) into the root of SD card. Have a look on your current SD card how the file structure is - the maps-directory in the root of the SD card.

Directly unzipping to SD card might create an extra top level directory (as below DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1115_V10) - at least that's what 7-zip program does by default.
upload_2018-12-31_12-19-29-png.34377

remember that its just the "maps" folder and its contents that need coping over. it will take 30min to a couple of hours depending on you PC setup.

Just downloaded the Bundle 1 update, 13Gig file to the desktop PC (win10), (all seemed to work ok)

then unzipped it with winrar, which gave me the unzipped Map folder.

next i took the VW SD map card out and plugged it into my USB3 SDCard reader . . . . (make sure the LOCK switch is not enabled)

Some SDcard reader dont like USB3 or Hubs, so if your having trouble, plug i direct into a usb2 port, or try a different port)

20190102_113600-jpg.34512

next running freefilesync i compared both the existing SD card and the new download.

vw-sd-jpg.34514

it shows that most files were updated, so i started the copy and replaced the existing map folder with the new map folder.

vw-sd-2-jpg.34513

it took 25mins to copy over . . . .

these screens show the versions.

https://www.t6forum.com/attachments/20190102_121249-jpg.34515/

https://www.t6forum.com/attachments/20190102_121629-jpg.34518/

Lets look at the alternate second option now.... Volkswagen Discovercare

latest Discovercare link : http://www.volkswagen.com/content/m...nload_attachment.file/discovercare_win_en.zip

I've had mixed results with this method, lately weve been getting a lot of checksum errors.

first download and install the software package.

then, same as above, take you map SDcard out the van, plug it into you pc then run the software.

View attachment 34548

choose your version and procced . . .

View attachment 34549

the software will check you have the correct OEM card and verify it . . . .

View attachment 34550

you are then given an option to backup your existing card before downloading and then installing the latest version back onto the card.

View attachment 34551

The whole procedure can take over three hours, so the manual method seems to be best atm.
Thanks for this most informative description of how to "navigate' the update. It appears DiscoverCare is no longer available as the link just initiates a download of the map package. Would you say these instructions* provided by VW are still relevant? Otherwise I will follow your instructions (compare file content etc). I have a Passat Variant 2015 with Discover Pro.
Any advice most welcome, thanks very much.
*https://app-connect.volkswagen.com/mapupdates/manuals/Discover_Pro_November_2020_EN.pdf

Garmin navigation systems seems like a much simpler option.

Hi, I updated my 2016 navigation SD card last week to the latest version and when I put it back into the media unit the navigation is on and shows my GPS curser but the map is blank yellow. Anybody else experienced this?

Hi, I updated my 2016 navigation SD card last week to the latest version and when I put it back into the media unit the navigation is on and shows my GPS curser but the map is blank yellow. Anybody else experienced this?
By any chance wrong map? What happens if you zoom out - any cities around?
Please post version information - see e.g. Map Software Update - How We Did It -

I ahve just tried to update my 2017 SD card to the latest maps via discover care. The card at 15gb is too small. I can download a the smaller files but the issue with that is I am going to spain via France and then onto Germany. they are on different regions.

Anyone know where i can get another bigger card from. I've looked at Amazon & eBay but it is a minefield of different version numbers

@Mick I bought Europe 1 (v14) mapping which came on a 32gb card new on eBay about 6 months ago. It has been fine for me.

I ahve just tried to update my 2017 SD card to the latest maps via discover care. The card at 15gb is too small. I can download a the smaller files but the issue with that is I am going to spain via France and then onto Germany. they are on different regions.

Anyone know where i can get another bigger card from. I've looked at Amazon & eBay but it is a minefield of different version numbers
See the last page on this thread

Back