BeePee

T6 Guru
Hi, is there a particular way to update the map on my sd card.
My T6 was new on 22nd December so I guess I should have an update to make sure it is up to the latest version.

Thanks.

The VW site has been failing updates for the last few weeks so may not be working at the moment doing it the discovercare way but you should still be able to manually download the update (if required) and copy it onto the SD card yourself

I think now the maps on the VW site are the fresh ones. I checked (manual update) the maps on December 16th, 2018, and then the main package for Europe was still the old one (on website still time stamp 04/03/18). Now the packages are different ones.

Even manual download seemed to struggle a bit yestrerday. It didn't start right away - cancelling "stucked" download and restarting it again worked for me. Of cource, the culprit might have been my computer setup (Windows 10, Firefox browser).

Anyways, all fine now by manual download and using OEM VW SD card. No success with third party SD cards (as documented by VW in the last chapter of update instructions). Well, except seems that my POI's are gone - even though they are not on the SD card... I think. Need to look into that...:thumbsdown:
EDIT: On the list where I "tick" the POI's to be shown on the map, the setting was cleared. So the problem is resolved, nothing was lost.

Hi, is there a particular way to update the map on my sd card.
My T6 was new on 22nd December so I guess I should have an update to make sure it is up to the latest version.

Thanks.

Here is the version information of new 13.3 Gbyte package European Countries – Bundle 1 (on top left on VW site) - first three lines. On the headunit NAV->Settings->Version Information
VW_Nav_map_2018-07-10 (2018-10-01).jpg

Possibly checking the date of main directory on your SD card using a computer) will tell the same:
Maps-directory of old package has date of 19-Jan-2018.
The new maps-directory has date 10-July-2018 (although on the website the package has date stamp of 1-Oct-2018).

Last edited:
I think now the maps on the VW site are the fresh ones. I checked (manual update) the maps on December 16th, 2018, and then the main package for Europe was still the old one (on website still time stamp 04/03/18). Now the packages are different ones.

Even manual download seemed to struggle a bit yestrerday. It didn't start right away - cancelling "stucked" download and restarting it again worked for me. Of cource, the culprit might have been my computer setup (Windows 10, Firefox browser).

Anyways, all fine now by manual download and using OEM VW SD card. No success with third party SD cards (as documented by VW in the last chapter of update instructions). Well, except seems that my POI's are gone - even though they are not on the SD card... I think. Need to look into that...:thumbsdown:

Here is the version information of new 13.3 Gbyte package European Countries – Bundle 1 (on top left on VW site) - first three lines. On the headunit NAV->Settings->Version Information
View attachment 34373

Possibly checking the date of main directory on your SD card using a computer) will tell the same:
Maps-directory of old package has date of 19-Jan-2018.
The new maps-directory has date 10-July-2018 (although on the website the package has date stamp of 1-Oct-2018).

Is this the one you downloaded? I assumed 10/1/18 is the 10th Jan 18 as mentioned earlier. Did you just download it and unzip it onto the SD card? I wish I could input full postcodes instead of just the first 4 digits. Im sure it would be easy for VW to do.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 09.44.36.png

Is this the one you downloaded? I assumed 10/1/18 is the 10th Jan 18 as mentioned earlier. Did you just download it and unzip it onto the SD card? I wish I could input full postcodes instead of just the first 4 digits. Im sure it would be easy for VW to do.

View attachment 34374
Yes, exactly that one. The downloaded file is DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1115_V10.7z. I know the these date/month markings are confusing, especially when used by foreigners :whistle:. But indeed this "10/1/18" was not there two weeks ago. Unzipped top directories have dates of July 10th 2018, so I'm assuming the stated date can't be January.

And yes, downloaded, unzipped on computer, then copied to SD card. Just a note - copied maps-directory (+subdirectories) into the root of SD card. Have a look on your current SD card how the file structure is - the maps-directory in the root of the SD card.

Directly unzipping to SD card might create an extra top level directory (as below DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1115_V10) - at least that's what 7-zip program does by default.
upload_2018-12-31_12-19-29.png

I've tried downloading, but when try to open the downloaded file I get this error message. (Same thing with 3 different downloads)

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 17.56.01.png

I've tried downloading, but when try to open the downloaded file I get this error message. (Same thing with 3 different downloads)

View attachment 34472
Looks like your computer/software doesn't recognize the package format correctly or possibly at all. The "7z" -format (7-zip) is not the most common format and I think it's not native format neither on Windows or on Mac.
Yours look like a Mac? There is a note in VW documentation, so looks more complicated than in Windows environment. I hope someone with Mac knowledge soon signs in to help us out.
upload_2019-1-1_20-11-54.png
Just to verify your download, the big (top left Bundle 1) file should have size of 13 447 612 201 bytes.
The file name is: DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1115_V10.7z

Hi, there are two ways to do the update, the first is to use the DiscoverCare package which you can download from the VW site - this does everything for you including making a backup
However if you want to do manually then, on a Mac, you will need to unzip the map download which is in a strange format called 7-zip.
There are several free apps available on the App Store and the one I use is called ‘The Unarchiver’ just remember to set it to unzip to a new file on your desktop not to the SD card.
The second issue you may, or may not get, is when installed the display has garbled street names or is just a bit strange. In this case download another free app called ‘DotCleaner’ this will clean up the download but I have never had to do this so not sure how often this problem occurs.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
I've tried the DiscoverCare package but myself and some others seem to be getting errors. (I am on mac)

Thats sounds a bit tricky, but I might give it a go tomorrow.

I would wait for a few days, I suspect the VW server has had a wobble over the holidays and all the techs are on holiday. When they eventually get back to work and they press the Ctl/alt/del keys and reboot it will probably sort itself out.
If you do decide to do the map download/unzip route it really is very easy, just make sure you unzip to a new folder on your desktop and then copy that over to the SD card.
Hope all goes well

Looks like your computer/software doesn't recognize the package format correctly or possibly at all. The "7z" -format (7-zip) is not the most common format and I think it's not native format neither on Windows or on Mac.
Yours look like a Mac? There is a note in VW documentation, so looks more complicated than in Windows environment. I hope someone with Mac knowledge soon signs in to help us out.
View attachment 34473
Just to verify your download, the big (top left Bundle 1) file should have size of 13 447 612 201 bytes.
The file name is: DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1115_V10.7z

I already have Suffit Expander app on my macbook. It should work on 7-zip files. However it is coming up with the above error.That is the same filename I have downloaded.

Just downloaded the Bundle 1 update, 13Gig file to the desktop PC (win10), (all seemed to work ok)

then unzipped it with winrar, which gave me the unzipped Map folder.

next i took the VW SD map card out and plugged it into my USB3 SDCard reader . . . . (make sure the LOCK switch is not enabled)

Some SDcard reader dont like USB3 or Hubs, so if your having trouble, plug i direct into a usb2 port, or try a different port)

20190102_113600.jpg

next running freefilesync i compared both the existing SD card and the new download.

vw sd.JPG

it shows that most files were updated, so i started the copy and replaced the existing map folder with the new map folder.

vw sd 2.JPG

it took 25mins to copy over . . . .

these screens show the versions.

20190102_121249.jpg 20190102_121443.jpg 20190102_121447.jpg 20190102_121629.jpg 20190102_121921.jpg

Reactions: mmi
I already have Suffit Expander app on my macbook. It should work on 7-zip files. However it is coming up with the above error.That is the same filename I have downloaded.
Tried to find the StuffIt Expander for Windows for a try – seems that there is only an ancient version 2011 15.0.1.17 for Windows – which didn’t support 7z-format :(. True, the genuine Mac version should work on these...:unsure:

Had a chat with a Mac geek – he also recommended “The Unarchiver” for the job as @Nigel W earlier.

Just to confirm, suffit expander will not unzip this file an a man. However I downloaded "The Unarchiver" and this has successfully unzipped the file.

Im now in the process of backing up the maps folder from the VW card and will then copy the extracted new maps folder. Hopefully this should work now.

@Dellmassive great instructional thread, Im sure that will help loads of people. Maybe you could add for mac users to extract with The Unarchiver.

Reactions: mmi
Just to confirm, suffit expander will not unzip this file an a man. However I downloaded "The Unarchiver" and this has successfully unzipped the file.

Im now in the process of backing up the maps folder from the VW card and will then copy the extracted new maps folder. Hopefully this should work now.

@Dellmassive great instructional thread, Im sure that will help loads of people. Maybe you could add for mac users to extract with The Unarchiver.
Thank you and will do. =]

I've tried it a few times now and it keeps coming back as having an error after the download, back-up and installation.

Can I drop the file on the card manually ?

All above is kinda gibberish to me........

I've tried it a few times now and it keeps coming back as having an error after the download, back-up and installation.

Can I drop the file on the card manually ?

All above is kinda gibberish to me........
Yes you can..

Download, unzip, copy to OEM card so the file structure is the same.

We made a guide here >
Map Software Update - How We Did It -
Map Software Update - How We Did It -

I will be adding the VIP membership next week when back in my office.

I see I can download a speed camera zip file onto a SD card.
Once I have done this (not the best tech guy in the world) do I just add the SD card into the same slot as my navigation, add the POIs, then swop over, or do I add the new SD card to the spare slot therefore using that all the time ?
Thanks for your help.

Back