VW Sat Nav Map Update Nov 2021

Pauly

VCDS User
Admin
VW have recently released (29/11/21) the latest map updates for T6s with sat nav headunit/discover media

Due to the increased size of the new update DiscoverCare is unable to update the software for you, it will run the process and take its time downloading the update (can take up to a few hours) and will then fail to proceed when its time to copy to the SD card

The new version 1810 is similar to the previous version 1730 and is too large for the standard SD card that is supplied with the van, i have detailed below steps to take to get the new update to work with existing cards

Update files can be found on the official VW infotainment website for direct download
Visit this site, select the transporter model and then select the discover media unit
1638650551063.png

Find Europe bundle 1 and hit the download button

1638650641973.png

Leave it alone for a while for the download to complete, this will take anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 hours depending on your internet speed

Once the download is complete you will have on your computer a file called - DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_1810_V15.7z this is normally put into your downloads folder
This file is compressed often referred to as zipped and needs to be unzipped (or decompressed) before it can be used, if you are not sure how to do this then a quick google should, there are a few options around but i use 7zip - 7-Zip

Once you have unzipped the file you will be left with a folder called maps and this maps folder is the one we need to upload to the root of the SD card but alas the folder is too large to fit on the card so we need to remove some files to make it fit !
You cant go deleting random files as the card wont work when put back into the van so we need to select some specific files to remove

First up we are going to double click on the maps folder > then the 00 folder > then cfg folder > then mapcfg folder
This is what you will see

1638651995516.png

We can safely delete the two folders called Seat and Skoda and this is what we will be left with

1638652014669.png

Same again now, we are going back to the start and now we are going to go into the maps folder > then 00 > then sds folder and we will see a big list of supported languages

1638652029522.png

Now we are going to remove all the languages we dont need, i am in the UK so have deleted all folders apart from the one labelled GB so the folder now looks like this

1638652048791.png

Thats it done, the maps folder should now be small enough to copy to the original VW SD card
Just remember the card needs to be empty before you copy the new update over so if you original maps are still on there you will need to delete them or format the card first to make space

Now we are going to remove all the languages we dont need, i am in the UK so have deleted all folders apart from the one labelled GB
Did the above, however interestingly all the languages (well, a few others I tried) still work with the navigation (voice guidance) as well as on the headunit itself...

At the end removed also the GB folder... still works just fine... :unsure:

Possibly the language packs have been loaded into unit already from a previous package? Would resetting headunit clear the other languages? A bit curious where these fairly large packages are used... obviously some more investigative work is needed...

Anyways, the main thing - removing the folders does the trick :thumbsup:

wish i found this thread before i tried to update :confused:
although I've followed all above instructions and keep getting errors saying files to big for destination
my sd card is clean i extracted files to desktop to delete the required folders and i keep getting them?2022-01-10.png

Last edited:
Not actually T6 related, but VW satnav related...

When comparing satnav map versions, what information from the attached screenshot will actually confirm if the online version is different/later than the currently installed version please?20220402_125850.jpg

1810 is your current version for year 2022/2023.
Currently the most recent one is 1910 for year 2023.

See below.

Thanks @Robert

I will keep checking the updates download site, as the latest version is showing November 2021 which is the one I believe I have.

It is totally up to you.
You can wait and keep on checking for official release of version 1910 or simply use the download link I have provided above and have it straight away.

So if the new files are too big for the original card, can i just use a new, bigger SD card? I've not long had my 2015 T6 which I suspect has never had an update.

Thanks

So if the new files are too big for the original card, can i just use a new, bigger SD card? I've not long had my 2015 T6 which I suspect has never had an update.

Thanks
It has been mentioned in other threads, but an 'off the shelf' bigger SD card won't work for some reason.
Either follow the instructions above to remove irrelevant Language folders, or you will have to buy a bigger VW SD card.

Thats basically your options, genuine VW cards are still quite rare in larger sizes so its easier at the moment to just delete a few files and all works

Back