I am Guildford way. I want to see how low the roof sits and is there any issues with internal headroom. I'm same as you LWB but 150 Kombi T32Highline
I have the sport version and am 6’5” and can still drive with plenty of headroom.

Some pics generally would be good. Tried a few fitters but really wanted to see a Skyline next to a Hilo Sport. I'm keen on the Stealth look so moving toward the Hilo sport more.

@HiLo Roofs

Sick of these now. Last year I had a leak, first time I used the van. It went back to VanDoc and there was some discussion between VanDoc and Hilo as to whether the back of the canvas should be sealed or not.

I had the van back after the rear canvas had been sealed only for it to leak again the next time we went away. I spoke to Mick at HiLo and VanDoc. It went back to be looked at again. 2 days before I was due to go away in it again. An hour before I was supposed to collect it VD called to say that they couldn't fix the leak. Mick said that they would have the van back at HiLo and sort the problem.

When I collected the van VD had found the leak and sorted it. Water was leaking under the hinge and under the canvas. Their solution was to pump half a tube of Sika all around the bottom of the hinge - this however had solved the leak so I wasn't too worried.

Fast forward to Bala this year and it's leaking still although not as bad as before. I called HiLo on Tuesday 28th and spoke to Pete who asked me to forward some photo's to Lee and he would call me on 29th. It's now over two weeks since that phone call, and despite me calling them at least 8 times over that last 2 weeks I still haven't got any further than the receptionist.

Starting to regret my HiLo decision. 5 year warranty is worth jack all if the company won't even return your phone calls.

Disgusting customer service. If I treated my customers this way I'd deserve to be out of business. :devil:

As with almost everything else that has been done on my van by other people it looks like I'm going to have to sort it out myself.

That’s a bummer @Deaky ... a) they’ve initially fitted the roof poorly and have retro bodged fixes and b) they appear to have washed their hands of you.
Worth taking off and refitting, if it’s possible?

OMG thats pretty crap service.
Hilo were my number 1 choice but Im seriously thinking about other choices now.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Not good, not good at all.

You'd think Vandoc could apply a bit of pressure on HiLo?

My HiLo has been spot on, but if I had issues I'd be all over the installer like a rash insisting that they had my money, they fitted and they need to resolve it.

Is it leaking from the same spot do you know? Can you get any pics of the issue up close for other HiLo owners to compare their installs against?

@HiLo Roofs

Sick of these now. Last year I had a leak, first time I used the van. It went back to VanDoc and there was some discussion between VanDoc and Hilo as to whether the back of the canvas should be sealed or not.

I had the van back after the rear canvas had been sealed only for it to leak again the next time we went away. I spoke to Mick at HiLo and VanDoc. It went back to be looked at again. 2 days before I was due to go away in it again. An hour before I was supposed to collect it VD called to say that they couldn't fix the leak. Mick said that they would have the van back at HiLo and sort the problem.

When I collected the van VD had found the leak and sorted it. Water was leaking under the hinge and under the canvas. Their solution was to pump half a tube of Sika all around the bottom of the hinge - this however had solved the leak so I wasn't too worried.

Fast forward to Bala this year and it's leaking still although not as bad as before. I called HiLo on Tuesday 28th and spoke to Pete who asked me to forward some photo's to Lee and he would call me on 29th. It's now over two weeks since that phone call, and despite me calling them at least 8 times over that last 2 weeks I still haven't got any further than the receptionist.

Starting to regret my HiLo decision. 5 year warranty is worth jack all if the company won't even return your phone calls.

Disgusting customer service. If I treated my customers this way I'd deserve to be out of business. :devil:

As with almost everything else that has been done on my van by other people it looks like I'm going to have to sort it out myself.

Mate I feel your pain !
Sorry fella its s..T

Sure you seen my picture LOL
Thanks for your help on phone today too.

Your last line made my whole day better as its exactly how I feel !
If i dont know im going to learn ! Lol

@Deaky might be worth us having a chat, I spoke to @Fish today and told him about some of my issues.

Mine has a hole in the canvas that looks to have worn through in the front corner and other side is doing the same. Installer is trying their best to sort it out which will be external and internal patches.
Wife’s not happy though

Really sorry to hear all this @Deaky. Really sh1tty thing on such a stunning van. Get together with all the others, there's strength in numbers here and we all know you ain't the only one.
@Keaney too, get the group together... Get it sorted.

Yep same issue for me;
Canvas worn through on top and bottom drivers side corners.
It is booked in with Hilo for a fortnight Monday for them to have it and rectify. To be honest I am so sick of all of the problems I have had with this roof and the incessant creaking that drives you to utter distraction whilst driving, I would never ever ever ever ever recommend to anyone, knowing what I know now, for them to spend their hard earned money, and wreck their van, by installing a HiLo roof.
I only hope I can get mine fixed to any kind of reasonable standard before they go bust. Because this recall, coupled with overselling and under-manufacturing of the surf roof whereby they had to close the factory just to try and get back on top (and still aren’t) is gonna hurt them and consumer confidence must be rock bottom. Says everything when they don’t even turn up as a manufacturer to CamperJam, instead opting to have an installer represent them.
Yes the roof looks good when down, but if I could do it all again, i’d not put any poptop on, because if you want stealth look - keep the original metal roof that VW stuck on it.

My roof creaks but it doesn't leak. I turn the volume up... A replaced piece of roof that big has got to move slightly as the vehicle twists. :cool:

I had a HiLo roof on my T5.1 and had absolutely no issues with it at all. Really pleased we chose it. Was hoping to get one fitted to my new T6 but they clearly need to get themselves sorted!

Is this the odd occurrence with hi lo pop tops or is it a major issue with their product ?

I had mine fitted in may this year it leaked first time out creaks when driving along over 15 faults in total,twenty reasons to buy a hi lo is there advertising logo i am pretty sure between every ones experience of them there is twenty reasons why not to buy one,

I guess when buying a poptop there’s a real incentive to go for one of the largest well-established brands - hopefully they already made all these design mistakes twenty years ago and learned from them. Going for a newer brand is especially risky if they’re trying to pull off what no one else has really done, i.e. the flush-flat stealth look.

Quality design, manufacture and workmanship is the foundation for any decent product / service, whether new or not.
The camper industry is littered with a variety of traders, some good some not so good.
Any on Check a trader??:slow rofl::slow rofl::slow rofl:
At least we have the forum’s business recommendations section and horror threads to help identify them.

Back