External pop top cover for a Hilo

Bav

Explore, discover, enjoy, repeat...
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Does anyone with a Hilo roof use an external pop top cover, such as the ones supplied by Rainbow Screens? If so, what is the technique for getting the cover on & off this pop-top, given its enormous height?

TIA

Probably easier to fit one to inside.
That might be a good call. I've had a look around the forum and I've seen a couple of examples of DIY versions (not my forte!), but not seen a retail version of an internal screen. Do you know of one?

That might be a good call. I've had a look around the forum and I've seen a couple of examples of DIY versions (not my forte!), but not seen a retail version of an internal screen. Do you know of one?
Sadly not but must be something available. May be the external ones will fit the inside?

Reactions: Bav
Are you wanting this for warmth for someone sleeping up there or just to keep the van in general warmer? The top is basically a tent so unless you heat it, it will be the same temp as outside. Done a lot of camping over the last 30 odd years in caravans, trailer tents and campervans and never been cold as long as your bed is well insulated, as in good duvet or sleeping bag. My experience of sleeping in a pop top was open all the windows as it was to hot (only done it twice). Been night fishing many times in -5 to -10 deg and been fine, as long as you have a good bag or duvet. Prob different if your having kids up there but mine where in a caravan at the time so cant comment.

Are you wanting this for warmth for someone sleeping up there or just to keep the van in general warmer? The top is basically a tent so unless you heat it, it will be the same temp as outside. Done a lot of camping over the last 30 odd years in caravans, trailer tents and campervans and never been cold as long as your bed is well insulated, as in good duvet or sleeping bag. My experience of sleeping in a pop top was open all the windows as it was to hot (only done it twice). Been night fishing many times in -5 to -10 deg and been fine, as long as you have a good bag or duvet. Prob different if your having kids up there but mine where in a caravan at the time so cant comment.
Primarily I need a pop top cover for black-out purposes - I have a bright orange canvas and don't fancy being woken at the crack of dawn. Secondary requirement is to minimise solar gain when on the continent. :thumbsup:

Primarily I need a pop top cover for black-out purposes - I have a bright orange canvas and don't fancy being woken at the crack of dawn.

Same problem here - whilst I like getting up (fairly) early waking at 04.00 in the middle of summer in the north of Scotland gets tiring after a while ;)

My solution is either having the roof closed, or using a soft & comfortable eye mask.
None of the bought options worked very well, so I ended up making my own from a thick black fleece material.

Same problem here - whilst I like getting up (fairly) early waking at 04.00 in the middle of summer in the north of Scotland gets tiring after a while ;)

My solution is either having the roof closed, or using a soft & comfortable eye mask.
None of the bought options worked very well, so I ended up making my own from a thick black fleece material.
Eye-masks - now there's a cost-effective solution. :thumbsup:

Am actually in the process of measuring mine up for one of these...although I hadn't considered the height challenge ;)
Hey @amo1968red. When you measured F1 (as per the diagram) did you provide the perpendicular value or did you measure from bottom corner to top corner? (Appreciate there may be very little difference, depending on the angle, but can't check that at the mo as I don't have my pop-top open ;))
1683915706513.png

Hey @amo1968red. When you measured F1 (as per the diagram) did you provide the perpendicular value or did you measure from bottom corner to top corner? (Appreciate there may be very little difference, depending on the angle, but can't check that at the mo as I don't have my pop-top open ;))
View attachment 198784
I'm actually planning on measuring tomorrow (as I'm going to be in The Lakes with the van for a few days). I'll let you know the difference

@Bav As an Ex Engineer, I would say it makes sense for F1 = S1 and R2 = S3, so a double check effectively.
They‘ll be cutting material, so IMHO better to have measurements of the actual template of what they’re wrapping, rather than what would effectively be a bit of a guess for you to get a perpendicular measurement in mid air and for them then to have to use that to calculate the actual length: unless you’ve got decent measuring equipment beyond a tape measure.
Best to ask them for a definitive answer.

I'd tend to agree @EAN, but their diagram does appear to be asking for the perpendicular measurement. As for F1=S1, I hadn't even considered that the front face may slope towards the back (tbc, but I think the front face is vertical on a Hilo), I was more thinking about the angle arising from F2<F3 (i.e. the side faces sloping inwards).

As you say, safest option all round is to ask Rainbow.

F2 & F3 would be measured equally off the vertical center line by the cutter as would the window
I cant see why they ask for W3 & W5 window size would dictate these

Back