HiLo Roof bar fitting

Cswminty

Has anyone fitted oem roof rails to a HiLo roof please?
I’m about to and need to know if the metal rails are sold or just fibreglasses over?
Did you have to bolt up from the bottom and tighten the nuts down into the roof bars due to clearance on the pop top when it closes??

Thanks nervously Chrjs

I’ve marked it ready to drill down into the roof, but I’m assuming it’s in to a rectangular steel tube with fibreglass over it.

The bolts go through the roof shell and through the centre of the box section. Make sure you seal the bolts otherwise the box section will fill with water and it will seep through the pop rivets fixing the canvas in place.

Last edited:
Thank you Deaky!
I’ll grab a pic tomorrow, mines fully enclosed in fibreglass, so I assume I have to …..

-Drill through the roof skin
-Keep drilling into the metal of the box section

-then do I keep drilling and out of the bottom of the box section??
Before bolting and silkoflexing it together.

Thanks for all help

Yes straight through the box.

If you need I can take some pictures for you tomorrow. It’s too dark now and you can’t see the bolts on mine.

If you need I can take some pictures for you tomorrow. It’s too dark now and you can’t see the bolts on mine.
Thank you for this, I know the top up and down isn’t a 2 minute job, no rush as I’ll probably tackle it over the weekend, but it would be greatly appreciated!
I’ll grab a pic of what mine looks like as it is and my measurements for the first bolts ….

Just read through your full build thread ........ too dark with all those LED's and the roof's no bother now its electric haha what an amazing build you have!! if only i had the time and an understanding Mrs :D

I’m assuming drilling down through the fibreglass roof I’ll hit the metal box, drill through that, both sides of thee box and then come through the fibreglass at the bottom of the roof?
The first bolt Tom will go through the hinge too looking at my measurements.
Does that look ok @Deaky ? Thanks again for your advice.

I've literally just had the roof up to secure some lights and took some photo's for you. Not sure what you mean about the fiberglass at the bottom of the roof? My bolts go through the fiberglass roof skin then straight through the box section. The rear one comes through the scissor hinge too.

IMG_0701.jpg
IMG_0702.jpg
IMG_0703.jpg

Many thanks Deaky, where yours looks like it is bolted through a painted metal box section, mine appears to have a fiberglass skin over the box section (my 4th and 5th pictures)
Anyway, hoping its sunny on the weekend and i can find a couple of sharp drill bits..... thanks again. I'll let you know how i get on.

Back