Scenic Campers Preston - HiLo roof/full conversion, Any reviews?

Simonf82

Hello, I'm about to book van in for full conversion with Scenic campers in Preston. Had a search but can't find many reviews from them here so thought I would ask the question. I popped in a while back and had a look at their T6 conversion and thought it looked really good. Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience they would share?

I'm keen on getting HiLo roof fitted although the other half would prefer Remio with slatted bed base and Scenic can offer either option. Read a lot of negative reviews about HiLo but most seems to be down to bad installation as opposed to the product so particularly keen to hear about this aspect if anyone has used them to fit a pop top for them.

Many thanks!

As you have concluded, installation is key for a HiLo roof and, personally, I wouldn't entertain any convertor fitting one unless they've had multiple positive reviews in this forum for that specific job. This approach lead me to chose a convertor 230+ miles away to fit mine, so this isn't just cheap talk on my part. However, I'm still waiting for my van (much-delayed factory order), so I have yet to be vindicated in my decision!

EDIT: Oh, I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
A search through the forum should make it clear that HiLo’s are a huge risk. You absolutely need a top class fitter as confirmed by multiple word of mouth recommendations. The problem is that the decent fitters appear to be dropping them fast so it’s going to be a real challenge finding one.

Personally, I wouldn’t touch one.

Two HiLo fitters I was recommended by members on this forum were Jaibow Campers in Holmfirth and Visiontech Automotive in Colchester. Visited both and then booked a full camper conversion (including HiLo) with Visiontech. Impressed with the HiLo installations from both, but I chose Visiontech because they were, IMO, more innovative with their designs and more willing to incorporate my specific requirements (they are expensive, mind!).

To be fair, any roof is only as good as the fitter that fits it. That said, even a good fitter will struggle with a poor product.

Visiontech and Simply Surf Bus fit loads, it’s always poor fitting and poor aftersales that let HiLo down.

Don’t be put off and do your research, my HiLo has been perfect in 3 years, but there is a member on here (he is a right member too) that likes to slate these despite never having had one fitted nor having any idea about what he’s talking about.

Reactions: Bav
Visiontech and Simply Surf Bus fit loads, it’s always poor fitting and poor aftersales that let HiLo down.

Don’t be put off and do your research, my HiLo has been perfect in 3 years, but there is a member on here (he is a right member too) that likes to slate these despite never having had one fitted nor having any idea about what he’s talking about.

Just to be clear... given I'm the person on this thread that has expressed the most negative sentiment so far, are you directing that random insult at me or some other person on the forum? Bit of a shame either way, this is a great forum in my experience and slinging insults around drags it down.

I wasn’t referring to your post, it’s good advice, the tool I meant will appear soon enough to tell everyone how crap HiLo are and how great Skyline are even though he has neither.

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies so far and for the welcome, I have been looking into this on and off for a year since I got my van. I have visited Scenic campers to see their work and had a good look round their own van as well as two others that were in for HiLo roofs being fitted at different stages and they looked good and the prep and care they were taking seemed excellent.
I'm based up in Glasgow so they aren't exactly local to me and I've been pouring over the pop top threads on here trying to decide which roof to go for. To be honest, I'd say there are almost as many complaints about skyline roofs (although you really have to go through all the threads to find them) with roofs randomly opening on the motorway and various leaks and installation complaints etc. as there is for HiLo but for some reason though people don't seem to shout about it as much.
They have been very helpful at Scenic campers so far with all questions and correspondence not being an issue and were happy for me to visit and have a look (more than what can be said for the local convertors round the corner from me who when contacted said they were busy and don't allow visitors).

Visiontech vans look absolutely stunning but they are 600miles from me and while I don't mind travelling for a good job that's pushing it should there be any issues with the build.

I'm really keen to hear about anyone's experience with Scenic campers as they are certainly busy enough (went to view in may last year and they were booked out until December at the time) yet when I search on here there is next to no posts mentioning them, good or bad.

Have you been able to speak to any of their previous customers that have had a HiLo roof fitted?

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies so far and for the welcome, I have been looking into this on and off for a year since I got my van. I have visited Scenic campers to see their work and had a good look round their own van as well as two others that were in for HiLo roofs being fitted at different stages and they looked good and the prep and care they were taking seemed excellent.
I'm based up in Glasgow so they aren't exactly local to me and I've been pouring over the pop top threads on here trying to decide which roof to go for. To be honest, I'd say there are almost as many complaints about skyline roofs (although you really have to go through all the threads to find them) with roofs randomly opening on the motorway and various leaks and installation complaints etc. as there is for HiLo but for some reason though people don't seem to shout about it as much.
They have been very helpful at Scenic campers so far with all questions and correspondence not being an issue and were happy for me to visit and have a look (more than what can be said for the local convertors round the corner from me who when contacted said they were busy and don't allow visitors).

Visiontech vans look absolutely stunning but they are 600miles from me and while I don't mind travelling for a good job that's pushing it should there be any issues with the build.

I'm really keen to hear about anyone's experience with Scenic campers as they are certainly busy enough (went to view in may last year and they were booked out until December at the time) yet when I search on here there is next to no posts mentioning them, good or bad.
If I was up in Scotland I would go to jerba, have you taken a look at them?

No not yet. Thats what I was hoping this thread might bring about.

I

I have looked at them but not a fan of the look of the roof or the layout they offer unfortunately
I’m not far from scenic, and tbh I was looking for references not long ago, but didn’t know anyone who had been and used, so will be using someone else for my conversion.

Hi . I've got a hilo roof fitted I've had it about a year it was fitted by previous owner who had it about year I've not had any problems I've read some horry stories mine was fitted by Xtreme Vans of Market Harborough Leicester they seem to have a good reputation.

If you want a good looking stealth low profile roof, and you aren’t 9 feet tall then have a look at Vanmax. I’ve had mine 18 months and it’s been hassle free.

Hello, I'm about to book van in for full conversion with Scenic campers in Preston. Had a search but can't find many reviews from them here so thought I would ask the question. I popped in a while back and had a look at their T6 conversion and thought it looked really good. Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience they would share?

I'm keen on getting HiLo roof fitted although the other half would prefer Remio with slatted bed base and Scenic can offer either option. Read a lot of negative reviews about HiLo but most seems to be down to bad installation as opposed to the product so particularly keen to hear about this aspect if anyone has used them to fit a pop top for them.

Many thanks!
Apologies, a late response I know. But I can vouch for Scenic as I had mine fitted there and had no issues so far. Chose the Hilo due to its low profile and use the van as a daily driver also and wanted to get under the car park barrier. It is of good quality and Scenic fit many different types so are well versed and experienced installing poptops. If you havent sorted it yet I would definately recommend. Also if you look at the way it pops up you get more room inside as hinges designed to give more elevation at the rear of the roof and the bed platform does not pivot like most, it cantilevers giving more head height. You will see this if you ask Lewis to give you a demo.

FB_IMG_1654041804247.jpg

FB_IMG_1654041780959.jpg

FB_IMG_1654041792921.jpg

FB_IMG_1654041775242.jpg

Last edited:
E78EE04F-B030-41D0-9AE7-C1C017E1E6A5.jpegD4A18FAF-F2FC-404C-8CF0-FBC4AE098CCA.jpeg

No worries, thanks for the reply. I took the plunge and went with Scenic campers in the end and I’m pretty happy with the end result I have to say.

Reactions: CAB
Back