New to the forum, but already learnt a lot from reading past posts.
Any recommendations in the SE for where to get a HiLo roof fitted? It seems to be the fitters that make all the difference!

You’ve got VisionTech Automotive in Colchester - @Fish has used them if you want feedback.
I drove up to Leicester and he XtremeVan fit mine - based on feedback, then price and availability. Expect a backlog.. if you’re in a rush, make it the first thing you pay a deposit for.

Hi Deaky,
I have had a Hilo roof in my LWB T6 for just over a year. I have used it a lot, but under with rain until this summer. I got quite a lot of water leaking at the front of the cabin, where d central roof lights are. I have just contacted Hilo directly, as I have the impression the installer (revampavan) is no longer installing hilo roofs. Lets see if I can get this sorted as you did!

Hi Deaky,
I have had a Hilo roof in my LWB T6 for just over a year. I have used it a lot, but under with rain until this summer. I got quite a lot of water leaking at the front of the cabin, where d central roof lights are. I have just contacted Hilo directly, as I have the impression the installer (revampavan) is no longer installing hilo roofs. Lets see if I can get this sorted as you did!
Good luck with HiLo @Manu they're not the best at returning calls or answering emails. Your issue will most likely be the sealer around the bottom of the canvas lifting away from the metal cassette of the roof. It’s a poor design and if the roof hasn’t been properly prepared by the installer prior to being sealed then this problem of the sealer lifting and water leaking through will always be an issue. Knowing what I know now I would have sorted mine myself.

I have noticed that the HiLo website has been updated.
There seem to be far fewer installers listed now and the Surf roof is not advertised at all.
Also the information on roof rack loading and other stuff has been removed.
I wonder if they are trying to get a grip on installation quality?

From recent conversations the removal of the Surf option is no surprise. It has been suggested by someone at HiLo to me that they make a loss on every one that goes out the door. As to removal of a lot of installers, yes indeed they are suffering from shoddy work of those installers.

It’s clear they had to do something to survive as a business given the reputational damage they were taking.

Hi Deaky,

Old Harry Camper Co are the Hilo fitters now down in the Dorset area, you could ask them to take a look, but you'd need to pay for his time as he's obviously not the original fitter, but his rates are pretty fair.

Looks like the installer who fitted the hilo on my van (before I purchased it) is still on the list so hoping they were/are one of the better installers and I'll have no issues.

This thread is really worrying. I've spend the last 2-4months thinking whether or not a pop-top is what I want and I'm almost convinced it is.
But i really down want long term issues with leaking roofs after spending a lot more that £5k on the job.

I'm almost tempted in getting a roof box tent instead as its way cheaper and can move from car to car as and when . The major downside being storage when not is use, inconvenience of taking it on and off AND not having heating in the tent for colder seasons.

Hi here are some pictures of my van after Hilo took it to crystal campers to fit roof as they were to busy this was done in May have not heard from fitter since July and after Hilo been sent photos of kit and fitter issue's will not do anything unless I return it to fitter.Pay attention to last photo where drain tube pushed through bulkhead. Grommet has been removed and 12 volt permanent feed trapped on metal work I think sums up the quality of this paticular job,I think pop tops are great but after this could only say I wish I'd gone for the the stealth roof it's low, carbon finish,so no paint peeling off and hinges on the inside so won't be going rusty on you after 5 months,and hopefully you don't have to keep a tea towel on hand for when you want to use it

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

@Gaz1971 , wow, that is some seriously shocking fitment. This is what makes me most nervous..... ending up with a badly fitted roof and falling 'out-of-love' with my bus.

I've also been keeping an eye on the Stealth roof. The carbon finish looks awesome, it looks suitably low profile for my liking too.
Any idea how they compare in price?

This has to bloody stop..! I will look at a way of petitioning against HiLo and their approved fitters.
Please keep all details, photos and corrspondants thats you may have with either HiLo of their approved fitter..

@Deaky
@DaveyB
@Keaney
@Gaz1971

Last edited:
Have trading standards been involved? They’re mis trading and making so many peoples’ dreams turn to nightmares. I feel for you guys.
Hi expectation Lo standards / customer experience.

A dedicated thead for this will begin over the weekend. I have been working this for alittle but my fitter had been helpful(to a point).
I will find the appropriate industry solicitor to take on this/these cases.
Will will get the documentation, strurctual/pull test certifications, training etc etc checked. I will also, gather any information then can start a public social media (factual) campaign to highlight the shocking work that is being done by this company and its suppliers.

How did it happen, were HiLo down to fit it but then subcontracted to the cowboys that actually did it?

If someone did that to my van I would absolutely lose it.

How did it happen, were HiLo down to fit it but then subcontracted to the cowboys that actually did it?

If someone did that to my van I would absolutely lose it.
It is all to common now.. even on this little forum.

Back