The Surf was rushed to market, the r&d was clearly lacking and customers were used as guinea pigs.

The Sport has been around for quite some time and over the years it has been refined based on feedback from fitters and customers.

As I’ve said many times, my Sport has been perfect, no issues at all. My roof was only the second that the fitter had ever fitted, he said he had been on a quite intensive installation course. I’d like to think HiLo and their network of fitters have turned a corner, I’d definitely have another fitted, but not sure who I’d use for fitting these days as my fitter ceased trading in the lockdown.

Last night in heavy rain I was woken by rain dripping onto my pillow. It was coming down the Hi-Lo roof bolt-down hole. Heavy rain was filling the gutter quicker than it could drain and the level filled above the height of the tube lip. 5am I was up packing with towels to catch it and noticed the front one over the passenger seat had also been doing so for ages onto the seat and into the storage box and out of the door step. Any one else experienced this and got a solution. Seems to be a bad design. Its bound to happen in heavy rain. Thinking of taking out the bolts at night and plugging the holes from outside somehow. Any thoughts?
I noticed the other weekend in the heavy rain that our bedding was wet through an on a closer look it was dripping in the nearside back corner and the gutter was full of rain.
when we got home i took the units out and the side panel to the van and the two sections of head lining out were they meet in that corner. i then took out one at a time the bolts to the rear spring strut and filled them with sealant and put them back one at a time.I then noticed a drain pipe with a rusty jubilee clip i have not done any thing wth this yet but i have agut feeling this is were the leak is. has anyone else had the same problem. also not through choce i had to have the roof fitted by a recommended fitter as hilow was not fitting them and to be honest its not the best fit.

The product is only as good as the installer.

Deaky
Fully agree with you i had a bad fitting experience from a fitter i was sent to by hilow as they had put my fit date back twice over 5 months at the time they were bringing out the surf roof by the way mine is the sports roof. The lining panel inside that is screwed to the blocks in between keep coming loose and the lining panel keeps hanging off, and the block marks can be seen in the paint work on the roof when it is cold or very hot. (the roof did go back to Hilow to be rectified but nothing has changed.and at the time i felt that i was being fobbed off but thats all i will say.

It looks like the rear drain pipe to the wheel arch is leaking.
i had to have the roof fitted by a recommended fitter as hilow was not fitting them and to be honest its not the best fit.

I now feel after all these months i am better off trying to resolve the problems myself, firstly iam thinking of sola panels to hide the bumps in the roof and stripping the lining out and re fit the screws with new blocks were they are also missing.and hence i am now looking for a 3/4 roof rack like the one that can be fitted to skyline roof.

not one for ranting but i would say be careful were you have your roof fitted i would if i had my time again i would insist on Hilow fitting directly.

Deaky
Fully agree with you i had a bad fitting experience from a fitter i was sent to by hilow as they had put my fit date back twice over 5 months at the time they were bringing out the surf roof by the way mine is the sports roof. The lining panel inside that is screwed to the blocks in between keep coming loose and the lining panel keeps hanging off, and the block marks can be seen in the paint work on the roof when it is cold or very hot. (the roof did go back to Hilow to be rectified but nothing has changed.and at the time i felt that i was being fobbed off but thats all i will say.

The other thing I noticed the other weekend in the heavy rain that our bedding was wet through an on a closer look it was dripping in the nearside back corner and the gutter was full of rain.
when we got home i took the units out and the side panel to the van and the two sections of head lining out were they meet in that corner. i then took out one at a time the bolts to the rear spring strut and filled them with sealant and put them back one at a time.I then noticed a drain pipe with a rusty jubilee clip i have not done any thing with this yet but i have a gut feeling this is were the leak is. has anyone else had the same problem. also not through choice i had to have the roof fitted by a recommended fitter as hilow was not fitting them and to be honest its not the best fit.

I now feel after all these months i am better off trying to resolve the problems myself, firstly iam thinking of sola panels to hide the bumps in the roof and stripping the lining out and re fit the screws with new blocks were they are also missing.and hence i am now looking for a 3/4 roof rack like the one that can be fitted to skyline roof.

not one for ranting but i would say be careful were you have your roof fitted i would if i had my time again i would insist on Hilow fitting directly.
You need to let the forum know the fitter then others wont have the same misfortune as you have.

Well that’s because not everybody has had an issue, you only read about the crap installs on here, rarely the good ones. Take a look at the quality of the conversions coming out of Simply Surf Bus, Jaibow and VisionTech, all fit HiLo successfully and have done for a number of years.

Back