help with DIY poptop plan

ROYO

hi people of transporter land....first time i've done this kinda thing so go gently with this older dood.

I'll cut to the salient point!

I have had me likkle SWB kombi T5 (2015 plate) for a few years now and have been harbouring ambitions of poppping the top! ooh

I've managed to acquire fibreglass roof lid (for 100 quids ) in good nik and a hilo poptop (big sturdy/heavy 6mm steel frame, heavy duty black scenic zip out canvas.) for 500 along with the folding bed malarkey.

I am a carer for my disabled daughter so the idea of blowing 1000s on a poptop is a non starter so am wanting to save dollar and do it me self.

But that captain paranoia is whispering in my ear!!!! I've read not exactly horror stories (oh how we dramatize!) but tales of whoah regarding Hilo roofs squeakin, leaking and other ings which has made me a tad dubious about my upcoming grand plan.

so has anyone done similar, had experience of such or used a fitter that could be my consultant......or should i just forget the popper and try and sell the bits.

Cheers guys for reading this Royston in Sheffield

Hello and welcome to the forum.

There are a couple of threads on DIY poptop fitting:

Having visited fitters when debating who I wanted to fit my HiLo Sport, I saw XtremeVan would assemble the frame and roof on trestles as a oner and then fit that to the van. They said that was their tried and tested method of ensuring all went well (I didn’t find out anymore otherwise I’d go in to more detail but the owner Jay seemed the kind of bloke who’d happily explain it if you made contact).

The original HiLo roof is the Sport. They released another roof called the Surf which wasn’t as popular, but I guess you’re unsure which roof you have?

Welcome aboard Royston!
Nothing like an easy little mod to start you off!
To think I was originally concerned about taking the passenger seat out to access my electrics!
Credit to you @ROYO ! Good luck!
May the best van/man win!

Back